Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Renewal & Penalty Points?

Options
  • 16-12-2005 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I picked up 2 penalty points during the year for speeding and in the last few days received my insurance renewal. It is not with Hibernian who I understand have access to the penalty points list.
    On the renewal notice however it does have a note at the bottom asking you to disclose any penalty points received by myself or anybody that drives my vehicle.
    My questions on this are:

1. Do I need to disclose my penalty points to the insurance company, I understand it that Hibernian have built in a discount for drivers with no points as they have access to the list. There is therefore by default no discount for not having points with my insurer.
    2. If I do not disclose that I have points does this effect my insurance, would I still be insured if I had a claim.
    3. If I tell them about the points are they likely to increase my premium. I currently have 3 years NCB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Mc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

withholding information = you're not covered for a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

AFAIK, you need more than 4 penalty points before your premium is affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Disclose it.

The duty of disclosure revives every year at renewal.

Failure to reveal the penalty points MIGHT be interpreted as failure to disclose a material fact. This would entitle the insurers to void the policy in the event of a claim.

By disclosing the points you keep yourself in the right.

It would be surprising to think that 2 penalty points for a single speeding offence would attract a loading. It might increase your premium however if it was calculated on the basis of you having no penalty points.

Ring them and ask - put yourself out of your misery !

Incidentally, irrespective of what they say on the telephone declare the points in writing. Insurance companies employ large numbers of people with amnesia who also forget to write things down !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just tell the insurance company to be safe rather than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already mentioned most insurance companies don't load you for having 2 points on your license. 4 or more is a different story though.

Also mentioned, non disclosure of this information to your insurance company could make your insurance policy void in the event of a claim being made against you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

@OP: Well have you received the actual notification from the Dept of transport saying when the points were applied? If you haven't got this there is nothing to disclose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

bazz26 wrote:
    As already mentioned most insurance companies don't load you for having 2 points on your license. 4 or more is a different story though.

Also mentioned, non disclosure of this information to your insurance company could make your insurance policy void in the event of a claim being made against you.

Not sure 4 is a big deal either... I have 4 and it's not very different to my premium with 2 points - with Hibernian.

Advertisement