Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny Brewery

• 16-12-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hey does anyone posting work in the Kilkenny brewery or know of anyone working there. How do they find it? Would people advise getting a job there? Work in a similar field so can't say why I'm interested.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to be a security guard there. To be honest, I don't think you'd have much chance of getting work directly from the Brewery, they're really scaling the place back. You'd probably be more likely to get work via some of the external contractors that they emply, depending what field you work in. I'd say it'll be closed and rebuilt elsewhere in a few years time - the land its on is worth millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

They're not allowed to close it though I thought - Well they can close it but not sell the land. Or is that somewhere else I'm thinking about.

John

Possibly St. James's gate. That land is worth hundreds of millions :eek:

The bewery in Kilkenny requires major investment to bring it up to date (new keg plant, the current one is on its last legs) but I can't see Diageo coughing up the cash when they're just after spending millions on Cherry's brewery in waterford.

'course, its been a couple of years since I've been there, maybe they did something with it? Doubt it though, most of their budget probably got eaten up by the emergency works they had to carry out when they (repeatedly) spilled waste into the river.

Hmmm, that must be it then. Are you working today?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I work there, you don't have a chance of gettin a job like Stephen said there scaling it down and contracting out alot of areas! Only jobs i know that might be goin at the minute would be with the cleaners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm a Diageo employee as it is so I saw the advert on the Intranet. Know a good bit about the brewery but not the working conditions and autmosphere. I know that they will be employing internally and that its just a legal requirement to post the job but thought it was worth looking into. Thanks for the info. What do you do Ravage?
    The land in St. James Gate canno't be sold. Its on Lease from the government. Although its a 9000 year lease for 10 pound a year. Not bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

Jesper wrote:
    I'm a Diageo employee as it is so I saw the advert on the Intranet.

what area is the job in ?

Jesper wrote:
    The land in St. James Gate canno't be sold. Its on Lease from the government. Although its a 9000 year lease for 10 pound a year. Not bad deal.

hahaha, that's legendary. 60-odd acres of prime city centre land for a tenner a year? Must be a real money spinner for the government :rolleyes:

They have too much money anyway.

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jesper wrote:

Close but your a tiny bit wrong
    This beer has been brewed at St. James's Gate Brewery, Dublin, Ireland since 1759, when Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000 year lease at IR£45 per annum for the unused brewery.

Personally I always thought it was a 5,000 year lease but I guess I'm wrong :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement