Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teeth pulling, ouch

• 16-12-2005 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I just got my wisdom tooth pulled, frst ever tooth pulled out my chopper set.
    I'm handling the pain alright though its still early to tell, I guess it will get painfull

This is for people who has had their teeth pulled,
    well firstly my gum is still bleeding and the dentist said its only trickling, I feel like fainting already.... and its driving me mad I can't eat certain foods
    which is the best foods to eat and avoid and from your experiences when did the pain go away and when should it heal and finally was it worth it getting them pulled.

cheers for feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never had the wisdom tooth pulled, but had plenty of milk teeth pulled when I was a nipper. In my experience, the best food to eat is soft and mushy - nothing sharp or chewy, you will regret it. Avoid extremes of hot or cold, although a really cold drink is much much more painful than a rally hot one.

From having normal teeth pulled, they stopped hurting after 2-3 days, and healed up fully after about two weeks. Wisdom teeth may be a little longer on both counts.

Put some disprin in room temperature water, and swirl it around in your mouth before swallowing. It'll help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

About 6 years ago I had to get all my wisdom teeth pulled/removed, under hospital local anaesthetic. Teeth had to be removed due to them growing under a fairly important nerve.

Anyways i had to eat stuff like, ice-cream, milkshakes, soup & soft food like peas, mash potatoes for about week until the stitches started to dissolve themselves, the gums began healing pretty fast after that.

It was sore enough but it wasn't the most painful thing in the world either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Thanks for the responses, I;ll defeniatly take up on the advices, the pain is'nt to much hassel, I put up with alright. It does suck staying on baby food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Be careful about rinsing with liquids, make sure you don't create suction in your mouth or it could open the hole up again. Don't use straws for a few days either.

whoops, i did earlier, as i thought I was doin the right thing, damn I used to be always doing things "right" :D

Thanks for that, its been about two hours now , can I drink a cool cup of tea or a glass of water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

My two sisters got their wisdom teeth pulled while under a local aneasthetic and they were fine after a few days.

I, on the other hand, got mine out under a general anaesthetic as the dentist said they were really impacted. I don't know what he did to me when I was under, he must have had his two fists in my mouth as I swear I was not right for two weeks.

My face, no jokes, was so swollen it looked like I had an american football stuffed in my mouth - I am still slagged over it. My mother in law picked my up from the hospital and I looked so vile she could not look me in the face. After the swelling went down I was left with bruises on jaw - looked like I had been in the ring with Mike Tyson, not a pretty site at all and VERY VERY painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Also, rinse your mouth GENTLY with warm water with salt in it. This will clean the wound as if any food gets caught in there you could end up with an abcess.
    Don't do it too often though or you'll stop the blood from clotting and it'll just keep bleeding.
    As for what to eat, Yogurt, soup anything that doesnt need to be chewed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Keep the wound clean and rinse regulary with salt water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

yeah forgot to add that, for the 1st week when I had my teeth out, I had to rinse out my mouth with warm salty water after I ate something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a former dental nurse with years experience in oral surgery.

Everyone is different so people's pain threshold, swelling etc is different.

Your socket may ooze but is nothing to worry about. Remember a miniscule amount of blood when mixed with saliva may look like a lot of blood.

Avoid vigourous mouth swilling. It will dislodge the clot. If that happens you could end up with a "dry socket" which is an infection of the jaw. Believe me that is extremely painful but not common.

If will probably feel tender but if it gets very painful then take whatever pain relief that you would for a headache and follow the instructions on the packet.

If you have a glass of warm water (not hot) add some salt, take a mouthful and tilt your head to the side that had the extraction. Just let the saline gently flow over the socket. The heat will help with the tenderness and the salt will help keep it clean. Again I stress no vigourous mouth swilling.

Avoid alcohol and spicy food until it's fairly well healed, you should be ok for christmas.

Take things easy, no strenuous exercise or the like.

If it does start to bleed (not ooze) just fold a clean cloth and bite down on it.

You may wake up with a little blood in your mouth, this is normal.

Avoid poking at the socket/clot.

Eat whatever you feel comfortable with. I had an upper first molar out last year. I took my children for McDonald's after and I had no problem eating fries.

Just remember swelling is a sign that the white blood cells are there fighting the risk of infection, so in this case don't let size (of swelling) worry you.

If you have anymore queries just get back on here and I'll do my best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

About six months ago I had both my lower wisdom teeth removed. They were growing kinda sideways but never caused me any pain, so I put it off for a few years but eventually they started moving my other teeth so I decided to bite the bullet :v: and have em out.
    I had it done under local so they had to be taken out 1 month apart. They won't give a local for both sides of your jaw at the same time in case you swallow your tongue apparently. Anyway having the teeth out was fine, uncomfortable sure with all that pulling and the noise was awful. Mine had to be cut into segments before they could be taken out and it still was not too bad.

I took arnica straight away so there was some bruising but it could have been worse. The pain was UNREAL after, but there was a reason for this - I got this 'dry socket' thing in both holes - thats where the blood doesnt fill up the hole or something so the wound is open and then air can get at it and causes an infection. I was told that it is fairly extreme and not very common but that under normal circumstances the aftermath is not too painful.

I ate rusks, yoghurt and ice cream for about a week after each tooth.
    I don't mean to freak anyone out with this story but I thought I may as well tell the truth so that if you are in pain you will know that it is more than likely normal. Best of luck with it, hope you recover soon OP, and just remember you NEVER have to go through this EVER again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

mysterious wrote:
    I just got my wisdom tooth pulled, frst ever tooth pulled out my chopper set.
    I'm handling the pain alright though its still early to tell, I guess it will get painfull

This is for people who has had their teeth pulled,
    well firstly my gum is still bleeding and the dentist said its only trickling, I feel like fainting already.... and its driving me mad I can't eat certain foods
    which is the best foods to eat and avoid and from your experiences when did the pain go away and when should it heal and finally was it worth it getting them pulled.

cheers for feedback.

had all of my wisdom teeth pulled years ago.
    pain went after about 24 days, and the dull ache after about 3 days.

eat lots of mash and bananas, after that, it just a case of your gums getting used to being exposed. they soon clean up.

440Hz wrote:
    About six months ago I had both my lower wisdom teeth removed. They were growing kinda sideways but never caused me any pain, so I put it off for a few years but eventually they started moving my other teeth so I decided to bite the bullet :v: and have em out.
    I had it done under local so they had to be taken out 1 month apart. They won't give a local for both sides of your jaw at the same time in case you swallow your tongue apparently. Anyway having the teeth out was fine, uncomfortable sure with all that pulling and the noise was awful. Mine had to be cut into segments before they could be taken out and it still was not too bad.

I took arnica straight away so there was some bruising but it could have been worse. The pain was UNREAL after, but there was a reason for this - I got this 'dry socket' thing in both holes - thats where the blood doesnt fill up the hole or something so the wound is open and there air can get at it and causes an infection. I was told that it is fairly extreme and not very common but that under normal circumstances the aftermath is not too painful.

I ate rusks, yoghurt and ice cream for about a week after each tooth.
    I don't mean to freak anyone out with this story but I thought I may as well tell the truth so that if you are in pain you will know that it is more than likely normal. Best of luck with it, hope you recover soon OP, and just remember you NEVER have to go through this EVER again!!

You poor thing I did mention that it's extremely painful and not common.

If anyone gets a "dry socket" go straight to the dentist and they can put what looks like chewed peat in the socket which will help. Fortunately it's not very common.

From personal use I've always found arnica very good for healing. I'm not medically endorsing this as I'm not allowed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

deisemum wrote:
    You poor thing I did mention that it's extremely painful and not common.

If anyone gets a "dry socket" go straight to the dentist and they can put what looks like chewed peat in the socket which will help. Fortunately it's not very common.

From personal use I've always found arnica very good for healing. I'm not medically endorsing this as I'm not allowed to.

yeah it was awful! I had to go back for that clove packing crap everyday for 3 weeks. as for arnica, I got some industrial strength one, I would have been lost without it.. so great, but yeah you cant really endorse it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

had all of my wisdom teeth pulled years ago.
    pain went after about 24 days, and the dull ache after about 3 days.

eat lots of mash and bananas, after that, it just a case of your gums getting used to being exposed. they soon clean up.

GOD, I hope you mean pain went after 24 hours....

doh! yes, 24 hours :)
    actually, having them all pulled wasnt really that bad at all.

it was all the orthapedic work afterwards that was bloody painful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i had a permanent tooth pulled out when i was eleven, in preparation for braces, cos my teeth were crowding, or something like that. it was very tender for a while after, i stuck to soft mushy foods, and if it bled slightly i used a clean cloth and bit gently on it.

OT when i got train trakcs fitted, they put the back part in first where the wire is held, and afterwards i was afraid to swallow food in case i dislodged them :rolleyes: :) but then again i was 11, it wasnt a bundle of laughs having braces fitted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I had a similar experience to whitewashman. I had all four out under a local. I didn't even use the pain killers I got. I used a couple of non-prescription pain killers for a couple of days. I was tender where they were pulled but it was my jaw which was worse , it ached for a few days. Salt washes, no straws and no smoking for a while.

I had a molar pulled once. I found that experience worse. I was awake for it and I will never forget the cracking and popping. That was at the start of a lengthy and expensive treatment to get my teeth back in order. Take care of your teeth kids!

the worse bit is when the dentist has his large pliers in your mouth, his foot on your chest, and all that is happening is the enamel brekas away and you can feel it in the back of your throat.

other than that, a walk in the park. i promise.

mysterious how's your recovery?

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote:
    mysterious how's your recovery?

Its alright now, pain comes and goes, getting stitch out on saturday what will that be like does any know??
    Great to see so much responses, amazes me of how much ppl had their teeth pulled at one stage or another. finished my antibiotics and painkillers... I don't think the painkillers made any differnece to the pain to be honest:confused: i have cornflakes stuck to the hole in my gum, can't get it out, any suggestions, tried water, salt water, even wet ear bud, afraid to touch it, im useless, :D I never got a tooth before this, :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Got all four of mine pulled exactly two weeks ago since we are past midnight now and it is now wednesday. Bottom two were not out yet so they had to drill down through the gum and remove a bit of bone i think he was saying too, particularly on the bottom right so they are still sore to this day. I still take pain killers and they sometimes work. I was in today and he told me healing will take about 8 weeks until the gums are fully ok but like nothing serious. I haven't been able to go on the piss at all the past two weeks cos it gets sore/stiff in the night and morning so i would just be a pain in the ass if i went out with the pain. But still recovering...overall, it's not like completely painful but it is enough to piss u off like tonight, i couldn't concentrate watching king kong because my gums/jaw bone was hurting me but **** it ya gotta do what ya gotta do, at least when it finally clears up, i will never have to get it again so that is a positive i guess.

I didn't eat solid food until 3 days ago so that was roughly 11 days without solid food. I ate homemade vegetable soup basically and porridge. The most annoying thing though is the lack of excercie, i haven't been in the gym in 12 days because of this. I went yesterday for the first time which is ok.

:(
    cheesedude wrote:
    Got all four of mine pulled exactly two weeks ago since we are past midnight now and it is now wednesday. Bottom two were not out yet so they had to drill down through the gum and remove a bit of bone i think he was saying too, particularly on the bottom right so they are still sore to this day. I still take pain killers and they sometimes work. I was in today and he told me healing will take about 8 weeks until the gums are fully ok but like nothing serious. I haven't been able to go on the piss at all the past two weeks cos it gets sore/stiff in the night and morning so i would just be a pain in the ass if i went out with the pain. But still recovering...overall, it's not like completely painful but it is enough to piss u off like tonight, i couldn't concentrate watching king kong because my gums/jaw bone was hurting me but **** it ya gotta do what ya gotta do, at least when it finally clears up, i will never have to get it again so that is a positive i guess.

I didn't eat solid food until 3 days ago so that was roughly 11 days without solid food. I ate homemade vegetable soup basically and porridge. The most annoying thing though is the lack of excercie, i haven't been in the gym in 12 days because of this. I went yesterday for the first time which is ok.

Can I ask you a few question, don;t have to answer them?

Well why did you have to get all four removed,
    were any of your wisdom up?
    what age are you
    did your wisdom push your other teeth
    had you teeth pulled out before?
    thanks if you could answer, I;m still undecided to what to do,.... the orthodontist and Dentist love my visits anyway so its all idle to them plus they can't aggree amongst themselves as to how many teeth i should get removed , its annoying the hell out of me!!!!

The Dentist says get one removed bit by bit as all the Wsdom come up he said I don't need all up,
    the Orthodontist said get all out if you want no hasslel, then she didnt mind what the Dentist had in mind,
    The Orthodontist also said go on a local anesethic, the Dentist said either!!!!!
    The Orthodontist couldn't even tell that my wisdom teeth were pushing my other teeth, until I had to explain...........
    Now I still have 3 teeth still left there undecided ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Had a wisdon done under general last year. Was a risk of damaging a nerve and it did. Left me slighly numb that side of lip/jaw. Pain was managable, more of a very heavy ache than a sharp pain. I can image getting more than one out would be a lot rougher. After 2 days I was ok. Ice cream was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mysterious wrote:
    :(

Can I ask you a few question, don;t have to answer them?

Well why did you have to get all four removed,
    were any of your wisdom up?
    what age are you
    did your wisdom push your other teeth
    had you teeth pulled out before?
    thanks if you could answer, I;m still undecided to what to do,.... the orthodontist and Dentist love my visits anyway so its all idle to them plus they can't aggree amongst themselves as to how many teeth i should get removed , its annoying the hell out of me!!!!

The Dentist says get one removed bit by bit as all the Wsdom come up he said I don't need all up,
    the Orthodontist said get all out if you want no hasslel, then she didnt mind what the Dentist had in mind,
    The Orthodontist also said go on a local anesethic, the Dentist said either!!!!!
    The Orthodontist couldn't even tell that my wisdom teeth were pushing my other teeth, until I had to explain...........
    Now I still have 3 teeth still left there undecided ?

No problemo!!! If u need more help ask me, i will tell u everything.

Basically, top two were coming out nicely and i realised i was unable to clean my top wisdom teeth as there was not enough room in my mouth to get the back of them cleaned and hence i got a cavity in top left one which got pretty huge...and an xray showed that if i let them grow they would cause me hassle because they were growing under the gum slightly angled so it would piss off my other teeth.

So to be clear, top two were grown and bottom two were not even out yet, bottom left one was out maybe a centimetre out of the gum like barely coming up.

I am 21.

I had only teeth pulled when i was a kid like the first set, that was it really. And wisdom teeth are totally different cos they are so deeply connected to your face basically so comparing to that is pointless.

From a personal point of view, if they are growing nicely and not bothering then leave them be. If they are growing weirdly, take them out, all of them. I don't see the point of waiting around for them to grow and then take them out as that is making the problem last longer and would increase procrastination in my eyes. I say **** it, get them out. You will get a medical cert saying u need a week off and can get it longer if u want, depends how u feel. Wait until after xmas clearly and then give it a go then. Oh and by the way, go under IV in the surgery. Don't let the dentist do it if you are squemish at all.

Your're tellin me due to an opertation of pulling em out caused you to go numb!!!!! how did that arisen?

cheesedude wrote:
    No problemo!!! If u need more help ask me, i will tell u everything.

Basically, top two were coming out nicely and i realised i was unable to clean my top wisdom teeth as there was not enough room in my mouth to get the back of them cleaned and hence i got a cavity in top left one which got pretty huge...and an xray showed that if i let them grow they would cause me hassle because they were growing under the gum slightly angled so it would piss off my other teeth.

So to be clear, top two were grown and bottom two were not even out yet, bottom left one was out maybe a centimetre out of the gum like barely coming up.

I am 21.

I had only teeth pulled when i was a kid like the first set, that was it really. And wisdom teeth are totally different cos they are so deeply connected to your face basically so comparing to that is pointless.

From a personal point of view, if they are growing nicely and not bothering then leave them be. If they are growing weirdly, take them out, all of them. I don't see the point of waiting around for them to grow and then take them out as that is making the problem last longer and would increase procrastination in my eyes. I say **** it, get them out. You will get a medical cert saying u need a week off and can get it longer if u want, depends how u feel. Wait until after xmas clearly and then give it a go then. Oh and by the way, go under IV in the surgery. Don't let the dentist do it if you are squemish at all.

Thanks mate!
    Its good hearing from someone who has ben=ing through it!!:)
    Its making me more confident in getting them out I guess, they're pushing my bottom teeth at the moment and my top gums are tight and my top ones are not up yet but stinging its way through, the top ones do seem tight like the way you described. I'm just nervous that I could go numb or regret taking my wisdom out cus my case is not as serious as most, I just don't want them pushin my teeth around as i have had always straight teeth with no braces and I would'nt like braces :o wel that's me.. ya I heard a few mates of mine that had went to the dentist and they had being warned to keep the wisdom teeth cleaned especially as cavities are nasty there

btw when did your tops ones come down?

lol I never thought i would take so much sh!te through my teeth!

mysterious wrote:
    Your're tellin me due to an opertation of pulling em out caused you to go numb!!!!! how did that arisen?

It was too close to the nerve (in the jaw) and moving it damaged the nerve. It wasn't up fully and it got an infection so had to come out. Its quite rare apparently. (just my luck it happened to me).

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t3_wisdom_tooth_removal.htm
    http://www.drbunn.com/3rds.htm

It was too close to the nerve (in the jaw) and moving it damaged the nerve. It wasn't up fully and it got an infection so had to come out. Its quite rare apparently. (just my luck it happened to me).

http://www.animated-teeth.com/wisdom_teeth/t3_wisdom_tooth_removal.htm
    http://www.drbunn.com/3rds.htm

I was worried about that, but my orthodontist said i'll be fine, so they would know if a nerve was near it etc. A pity you get hit with that though:o

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote:
    I was worried about that, but my orthodontist said i'll be fine, so they would know if a nerve was near it etc. A pity you get hit with that though:o

You can see it quite clearly on an xray. So if it was a concern they'd have told you. I guess if your tooth is any way up, its a lot less likely.

ya mine are on there way up, i know the sooner you get them out the less chance of you hitten a nerve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭nosmo-king

Hello all.. Has anyone had dental implants done and if so where did you get it done , did it take long, what costs etc.
    looking forward to any info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bondirules

hello well i havent got my wisdom tooth pulled out i dont think but i got atooth pulled out like 3 wweeks ago and it was painfull after, i just ate
    yoghurt and mashed potatoes and soup and now i have braces and i lived on soup 4 a week!!!!!! dont like soup anymore!!
    tell me hows it goin!

Advertisement