Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A beardless endeavour

• 16-12-2005 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi

Right the problem is, Im 20 and I want a beard and Ive been trying to grow one for the past few years. Now, many of you may have heard the myth that if you shave two or three times a day it will encourage hair growth, Ive looked into this and sadly there is no medical or scientific evidence to back this up (maybe i should e-mail Mythbusters). Anyway, this technique doesn't work, however I do have a little stubble but not enough worthy of being called a beard.:(

I would really appreciate some advice on how speed up the beard growing process.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Lamb wrote:
    Hi

Right the problem is, Im 20 and I want a beard and Ive been trying to grow one for the past few years. Now, many of you may have heard the myth that if you shave two or three times a day it will encourage hair growth, Ive looked into this and sadly there is no medical or scientific evidence to back this up (maybe i should e-mail Mythbusters). Anyway, this technique doesn't work, however I do have a little stubble but not enough worthy of being called a beard.:(

I would really appreciate some advice on how speed up the beard growing process.

Thanks.

Some people are not meant to have beards.
    Unfortunately its the way life is... If I try to grow one it ends up as about four different colours. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

As far as i am aware there is no way to speed it up, you will either be hairy or you will not be, and that is pretty much determined by genetics, and not just paternally either.

I suggest you really don't worry about the beard, i have had one and everybody seems to tell me i look better without it. Most peopkle do.

Only two people in history have looked the part with a beard. Jesus and Santa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dragan wrote:
    As far as i am aware there is no way to speed it up, you will either be hairy or you will not be, and that is pretty much determined by genetics, and not just paternally either.

I suggest you really don't worry about the beard, i have had one and everybody seems to tell me i look better without it. Most peopkle do.

And Osama.... he would look wierd without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Lamb

Dragan wrote:

:D

Yeah im pretty hairy everywhere else like, just rather sparse in the face area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If you increase your testoserone that will encourage beard growth not really advisable though but is one way to go about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Wait a few more years and then give it another go.

I only managed to grow a beard recently at the age of 27... I didn't have to shave very often at all when I was 20, but once I got to about 25 I'd have to shave every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dragan wrote:

Ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Why do you want to grow a beard?

The same reason you don't, I'd imagine.

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Why do you want to grow a beard?
    They're fun to stroke on these cold winter nights. It's like having a very well behaved cat... that... eh... sits on your face...

• Advertisement

/me strokes beard sagely.

That's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The Lamb wrote:

Thanks.

Dont shave?

Just a thought. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get some kelp extract from your local health store and Boot's hair and nail
    remedy whichs has a protiens in it what your body uses to make hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Thaedydal wrote:
    Get some kelp extract from your local health store and Boot's hair and nail
    remedy whichs has a protiens in it what your body uses to make hair.

hey Thaedydal, do you know if that will help form new folicles or just help existing hair? Sorry for bothering you, if it's the new folicle one a friend of mine will be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Uh, you're only 20. Facial hair is the very very last thing to develop. The vast majority of young men shave a moustache long before they shave a beard. Im 21 and I couldn't grow much of a beard if I tried.

I bet by the time you're 30 you'll grow a fine bushy bush...

Testosterone suplements would be the only definate method of growing a better beard... (/joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Beards can be a lot of maintenance :(
    Having said that it's always the thing that someone can't have that they want the most.
    Perhaps ask a chemist if those shampoos for thinning hair would work on a beard, though it might also affect your skin so you definitely need to talk to chemist first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Ah yes, the Beardless Lamb. Quite a vexation indeed.

Too young perhaps, perhaps lacking an abundance of vitamins or minerals. A deficiency of a nutritional nature can often leave ones supply of vital elements bare as an ancient creaking mine.

Amino acids, vitamins of the letter B, yes. Seek out also the metals of magnesium and zinc. Once found apply generous amouts of sulphur and silica.

Hair full of vim and vigor will be your reward and you will tread the path of the Beard in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dragan wrote:
    Jesus was probably clean-shaven.

OP, kelp is meant to help head-hair so that might be worth a try. Otherwise just keep shaving for a few years and try again (looking like you are trying to grow a beard but can't probably isn't what you're going for).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

22 here and have only this year been able to grow any kind of worthwhile facial hair -- still can't on the sides of my face (sideburn area).

I've got a few friends of 23/24 who still can't grow anything more than a 'tash.

It's annoying, but you're only 20. Give it time.

Talliesin wrote:
    Jesus was probably clean-shaven.
    Try explaining that to the kids hanging around on the corner near my house.. they were just slagging me off just now saying I look like Jesus.

Could be worse though... before I grew the beard it was Micheal Jackson.

• Advertisement

Either way, you can threaten them disturbingly! :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ive looked into this and sadly there is no medical or scientific evidence to back this up (maybe i should e-mail Mythbusters).
    Maybe you should. But I've also looked it up, and I've not found any scientific or medical evidence that disputes it either. One of my friend's sister is an electrolisist, she's told me this is the case and I've experienced it personally too. Why do you think women don't shave the little ronnies some of them grow?
    Beards can be a lot of maintenance :(
    Only when it gets to a certain size. Once I mine started to become maintainance I shaved it. But at that stage it was touching my chest when I looked straight ahead.

So anyway to conclude OP. All I can advise is to shave everyday whether you need to or not. Take it from my anecdotal evidence it does work. Or you could try this stuff. Not without medical consultation of course.

By the way I've been able to grow a full beard since I was 15. This is not something to boast about tbh. Cos as I've grown older it's become unmanageable almost. Having little distinction between the bottom of my beard growth and the top of my chest hair, I shave my neck almost everyday and under my eyes on the cheekbone. Then go over the rest once a week with a hair strimmers to keep a short beard.

I'd far rather have much sparser growth like this chap. Even less than him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Nothing you can do will speed anything up. What's the problem? Wrong colour? Not enough hair? Curly?

S.

OP, Roy Keane didnt have a beard when he was your age, now look at him. you could rub a plank to him.

i myself have a dodgy looking scobe since i was 12/13 (i hate them skangery scobes!!!) that has to be shaved every single morning.

My sideburns and hair under the chin are slowly starting to have a bit more sandpapery feel after a day and after a week i have a fairly hairy area down there but my cheeks have maybe only the odd rib in places at the mo. :D

oh and under my chin itches like hell as the stubble curls slightly and the tips of my stubble hair rub the surface of my skin.

not to worry it'll come in its own time. at least shaving is one less thing you have to worry about.;)

Advertisement