Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh

• 16-12-2005 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Where's all from Nenagh.....:D

Time to wake up :rolleyes: we're in the modern day
    A lot is happening in this town of late, new shops,new streets, restaurants, another Chinese:rolleyes: , Cremery is still here:D , some people still hang around, god know what else,:D

Maybe start a rumour that there is a new niteclub>>> competition for Maximus, oohh thats a bit harsh

Any craic around the place

BTW pick up your litter, Nenagh is now one of the dirtiest town in Ireland, It reflect the town, obviously and it's about time people get some brainfood.

Gone emigrating :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Nenagh, Ireland's answer to Minnesota, complete dump <shudder>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Nenagh, Ireland's answer to Minnesota, complete dump <shudder>

Have you much experience to prove yourself right, just worth to push you! ;)

Anyway have you being to Minesota? what's Dublin's answer too?

Nenagh is better than a lot of towns i have squeezef through from time to time.

im off.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Im From Nenagh...Such a small town. I didn't think many around here kew about boards..Now i'm curious as to who you are..But anyway, My comment.
    mysterious wrote:
    Cremery is still here:D ,

But maybe not for long...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Living near Nenagh and don't think it's bad at all.
    I can think of quite a few grottier towns....

E.

Im From Nenagh...Such a small town. I didn't think many around here kew about boards..Now i'm curious as to who you are..But anyway, My comment.

But maybe not for long...

are you alright there? :D

• Advertisement

why wouldn't I be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

SO ye have found the Internet in Nenagh....lol Wont be long now
    and ye will be on ISDN lines :-)

ricey wrote:
    SO ye have found the Internet in Nenagh....lol Wont be long now
    and ye will be on ISDN lines :-)

Sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im only messin man, Nenagh is a Top town.....Heh

But if tipp got there act together put Nenagh, Tipp town, Thurles & Clonmel
    all into one.... Got a nice little city there 4 ya`ll. Don know what ye would
    call it Prop Tipperary City has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

@hakko1872003; Have you heard something about the creamery going?

• Advertisement

eljono wrote:
    @hakko1872003; Have you heard something about the creamery going?

No, I was only sayin in general, things might not always be the same. Have you heard something? Nothing would surprise me though.

You from Nenagh too?
    Has anyone else heard that the whole slatterys/kenyon/K2 has been bought by the ryans and their crew for a nice price, dont know if I can be sayin it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

No, I haven't heard anything and I'd be surprised if it did go.

Ya, I heard that about the Kenyon. They'll have a nice monopoly going now with the only two niteclubs in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Has anyone else heard that the whole slatterys/kenyon/K2 has been bought by the ryans and their crew for a nice price, dont know if I can be sayin it here.
    Sure that takes up most of the street - is this a reliable rumour? It would take millions for the slattery's family to sell not taking into effect the others on that side of the street?

Maxwell wrote:
    It would take millions

And it did, around 2.2 million ! I think there was an article in the Guardian about it. It's true anyway.

Thread locked. Please use Nenagh thread in Tipp forum.

And it did, around 2.2 million ! I think there was an article in the Guardian about it. It's true anyway.

The Moylan crowd that done up quintens way street had broght it...

I don;t know how many is involved in the partnership, but feck its like 10 people and was that amount when they started the new street, they're buyin up the town at this stage..

I also heard that Maximus/ Ryan crowd wanted to buy K2 but fell through

To be honest not giving my opinion on any of this,:o

Anyone in "K2" yet ?? wat ye reckon?
    Nenagh still has nt a proper nightclub for the town of its size.

Away from that, Nenagh is by far the hub and place to be in North Tipp, Thurles is probably the same size as Nenagh at this stage if not smaller than Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NenaghBoy

Nenagh: there is nothing to do here. The only thing to do is go and sit in a pub, unless you want to spend two hours cramped up in the cinema which you are grossly over-charged for. Even the cinema that was planned for the Limerick Road development was cancelled, the only part of the project that was.

And Nenagh is most certainly not better or bigger than Thurles. There is much more available in Thurles.

And as for the nightlife in Nenagh, i.e. Maximus, going there every weekend is enough to make you want to kill yourself. K2 isn't too bad (was there thursday night for the opening, good bands playing), but it still doesn't make up for the miserable disappointment that is Nenagh. And i say this as someine who has lived there all my life. After spending a few months in other countries adn having to come back here, I cant wait to get the hell out of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

One of the best indoor athletics tracks in the country
    Golf Club
    Swimming Pool
    decent rugby club with an excellent team
    Gaa Club - Football/Hurling/Handball
    Lough Derg- Sailing/Diving
    soccer
    decent tennis club
    Walks around Keeper Hill
    I dont hve time to list more

Get up off your arse - there is more to life than drinking

I heard Maximus are ruining the K2, firstly they brought it, yes might well as put it like that, money grabbers, feckers, that crappy maximus is a health hazard used to go there. Now its overun,smelly and at a full house fights more often than not. Its like a stand up mexican wave with no feet on the floor, Now with K2 only other option (are only hope), rumours are, the OWNERS of Maximus who brought K2 are changing the nightclub into a bar, very bad, very very bad for Nenagh....

I would love to be more specific, but then again, would'nt be appropriate.:rolleyes:

muletide wrote:
    Golf Club
    Swimming Pool
    decent rugby club with an excellent team
    Gaa Club - Football/Hurling/Handball
    Lough Derg- Sailing/Diving
    soccer
    decent tennis club
    Walks around Keeper Hill
    I dont hve time to list more

Get up off your arse - there is more to life than drinking

One: I dont drink!
    Two: Get off my arse?? I'm a qualified lifeguard, spent the last four summers travelling Europe rock-climbing and doing survival training in the alps and northern scotland, train (either weights, swimming or jogging) about 15-16 hours a week.
    One of the best indoor athletics tracks in the country:Generally closed.
    Golf Club: Suitable for those who can afford to join and play, not for younger people or students working part-time. Love to know the average age of the club members??
    Swimming Pool: Not a good standard, i would know, i've taught people to swim in quite a few and have swam all over Ireland myself.
    Rugby Club: Give you this one, this will cater to anyone with an interest in it.
    GAA: I did mean to put in my post, unless you have an interst in GAA, so i'll grant you that one.
    Lough Derg: Expensive to get into. No easy access, it is about six miles outside the town. And dont reply "stop being lazy and walk" No-one walks twelve miles to go diving.
    Soccer: Absolutely no access to this unless you're good enough to get on a team, which rules out most of the people in any age group.
    Tennis club: Granted, played there quite a bit when i was younger.
    Walks around keeper hill: Please, how many young people do you know that do this?? Imagine the situation of being in town with your friends (I have no idea what age you are, but i mean 17-22 yr olds, roughly) and asking, "Alright lads, who wants to go for a walk around the hill today??"

Feel free to post more when you have time, just think about how applicable they are to the younger generation. I'll be happy to point out the flaws as soon as you post them. ;)

And one last thing, take as an extreme example someone who has asthma, or an injury that could make sports or too much physical activity (my father for example) an impossibility. What do they do?? What is there for them?? I know a few people, young and old, who would love to hear an answer for this.

Be reasonable all you mentioned in your post was pubs/cinema so how was i supposed to know you had other interests

You asked whether there was anything to do in Nenagh I listed nine options which you proceeded to shoot down
    Some of your reasoning is spurious at best if twelve miles is a barrier to you getting involved in something then there is a problem. The golf club is actually quiet reasonable if you are a student and ius very pro young people using their facilities just check out the amount of junior competions all year round. The swimming pool may not be a "good standard" but it is very far from the worst in the country.
    If the running track is closed use the CBS

On one hand you say people our age have no interest in hill walking yet earlier in your post you state how you have spent time in the scottish highlands and alps ?????.

You remind me of teenager who whinges to their parents about how crap their town is and every time they list an activity they come up with some childish excuse to shoot it down

I am not saying it is the best town in the country - far from it- but you gotta make the best of what is available. You are obviously seeing things the same way anyone who has travelled for a while sees things when they come back home. Get over it - it will be a long time before you get the alps in North Tipp

What exactly do you want for you and your asthma suffering friends anyway?

Why dont you make a few REASONABLE suggestions instead of knocking everything.And remember you cannot expect a city full of activities in a small town.

• Advertisement

Not going to argue about not saying that i had other interests, same as you assuming that i drink.

12 miles would be a barrier to most people, would you walk twelve miles to do something like that??

And yes i stated i have spent time in the alps. But if you look firstly at the amount of young people who are intersted in it. It isnt exactly a huge area of interest. And secondly, how many times would you walk around that hill?? Not going to make a daily event out of it now are you?? Can i ask how many times a week you walk around it??

And as for whinging to my parents, thay hate Nenagh as much as i and my friends do. I dont make a habit out of whinging but someone praising Nenagh to the high heavens (not you, or not only you) is beyond me. Also not a teenager. Stop making assumptions when trying to make a logical argument, it doesn't work.

Reasonable suggestions?? Ok, as mentioned in my first post, the new cinema. Only in Nenagh would it be cancelled, and dont even try defending the present cinema, it is miserable. You said Nenagh is almost as large as Thurles, yet compare the cinemas in both places??
    And now we have the council harping on about the new bowling alley on the Limerick Road development. How good will this be?? 600 new houses plus the rest of the population of Nenagh, its not enough. I'll admit its an improvement but still.
    Or how about a late-opening cafe instead of a pub??

You call Nenagh a small town yet look at the expansion going on?? 60 new houses in Killnasalla, 600 on the Limerick road, the new estate behind Kellys shop and garage, another 200 or so and there are many more. I'm sure you prob know them, if not i can point them out for you next time. Take all the housing developments over the past ten years and compare that to the amenities that have been put in place to meet the growing demand?? There has been practically nothing put in, the bowling alley will be the first thing in years and this will be another 4-5 years in construction.

NenaghBoy wrote:

And as for whinging to my parents, thay hate Nenagh as much as i and my friends do. I dont make a habit out of whinging but someone praising Nenagh to the high heavens (not you, or not only you) is beyond me. Also not a teenager. Stop making assumptions when trying to make a logical argument, it doesn't work.

Reasonable suggestions?? Ok, as mentioned in my first post, the new cinema. Only in Nenagh would it be cancelled, and dont even try defending the present cinema, it is miserable. You said Nenagh is almost as large as Thurles, yet compare the cinemas in both places??
    And now we have the council harping on about the new bowling alley on the Limerick Road development. How good will this be?? 600 new houses plus the rest of the population of Nenagh, its not enough. I'll admit its an improvement but still.
    Or how about a late-opening cafe instead of a pub??
    A couple of points

1. I never mentioned Thurles in any of my posts go check

2. Why do you have to walk to Lough Derg ? There are Cars around stop making stupid excuses

3. I never called you a teenager or spoke about your parents - I was comparing your complaining to that of a bored disinterested teenager. You really missed the point here

4. The cinema is not great but visit a few other towns around the country and you will see miserable - I suggest Greystones/Newbridge/Naas - all huge towns. Ours is far from miserable

5.You demand improvements in the town and then you slate a bowling alley an improvement is an improvement no matter how small

6.So for all you find wrong with Nenagh all you can suggest as an improvement is a late night cafe - and yet you have the nerve to shoot down my 9 suggestions.

Grow up and stop arguing about semantics.

"There are cars around, stop making excuses": I dont have a car. My friends dont have cars. Most people our age dont have cars. Taxis as far as Lough Derg cost about €8-9 at the least each way. What should we do?? Any suggestions?? Please, i'd love to know??

Now that i see your point about the teenager comment, i'll make my own analogy out of it. Go down town any night of the week and you'll see young teenagers hanging around on the streets with nothing to do. Why?? Because there is NOTHING TO DO!!!!!!!

Yes the cinema is miserable. True, its not the worst, but when we were supposed to get a new one, it gets blocked. Can you think of one good reason for this?? Just one??

I didnt slate the bowling alley, i said its an improvement. Just not enough.

And lastly, i didnt shoot down your nine suggestions, i shot down six of them because they are completely useless to most people or are of a poor standard.

This is going nowhere. You obviously have a problem with Nenagh so leave or ask your parents to drive you out of the town. Hopefully someone else will come in here and make some decent arguements but in the mean time good luck with whatever fun filled town you decide to move to .

I am sure you will be a great addition to it

muletide wrote:
    This is going nowhere. You obviously have a problem with Nenagh so leave or ask your parents to drive you out of the town. Hopefully someone else will come in here and make some decent arguements but in the mean time good luck with whatever fun filled town you decide to move to .

I am sure you will be a great addition to it

Ye are both entitled to yer own opinions.. It looks like your all getting your backs up.

Anyways I don't see the point in knocking Nenagh to the extreme, nor is it any worse than other towns in its league. It has its pros and cons.

Nenagh is a major drinking town, and in my opinion its really terrible considering the facilities, sports and social activities we have in this town. But because of the social and alcohol/drugs, young people are turning way from these hobbies and interest. And having a real knock on effect.

I have had very bad experiences going out in this town, and quite frankly never had anything like it anywhere else for that matter. For people who don't drink and don't play sports there is absolutely nothing to do for these people under this category, having said that what other town within the 5,000 and 10,000 bracket to facilitate this group? Probably nil. For some years there's was a bundle of ambitious projects to cater for the youth and people goers of this town, a few names such as the youth centre, scouts hall, Military barracks and the Castle project, all these are dead in the sand or almost, I'm sick and tired of hearing local politicians giving us deja vous and stirring propaganda on the local papers. How long has the Nenagh Castle project being going on? 1990? A joke. The Scouts hall has being mentioned umpteenth times on renovating this public building? It’s never ending....

The Ormond cinema in town is a joke, its filthy and expensive. There was a recent planning application to extend this cinema further on the adjacent derelict house facing summerhil, I believe its got full planning permission, but I don't know much else on this.

Weren’t there plans for a cinema behind Kenyon's street car park a while back, it was written up on the Nenagh Guardian?

On the plus side Nenagh is a bustling town, with lots of job opportunities compared to most towns in Tipperary.
    Its streetscape is brightening up and looks a lot cleaner than this time 2 years ago even.
    It has lough Derg to treasure, which is a fantastic place.
    The scenery around Nenagh is stunning,
    The history of Nenagh is rich, pity its overlooked.
    It has the majority of the big shops and multiples in Tipperary plus the arrival of Tesco, supervalue and Woodies
    It’s easy accessible to all parts of Ireland hopefully by 2007 the Ballybrophy line will be upgraded.

Anyways that enough for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

muletide wrote:

So The Shed is still there? I used to live in Nenagh, had a great time (I think) though I was prob too young to know different. Relocated my ass to dundrum before beginning secondary school there:eek:, havent been in Nenagh in about a year, how's the welly factory/ sweatbox going? still the only niteclub there?

InFront wrote:
    So The Shed is still there? I used to live in Nenagh, had a great time (I think) though I was prob too young to know different. Relocated my ass to dundrum before beginning secondary school there:eek:, havent been in Nenagh in about a year, how's the welly factory/ sweatbox going? still the only niteclub there?

Well a lot of stuff going on as regards to new businesses and shops locating here, the only thing is, it's nothing spectacular, I'd love to mention some of the main businesses men in relation to the new street etc, they're trrying to soak the spurlge of money all to themselves, the new Kenyon street retail units are so crappy! The development on the Limerick Road is coming on nicley though.

Nothin significant, other than the Ryan's had brought the Kenyon, and I hear rumours that they are changin it into a all late bar? hav'nt heard anything concrete to this date.

Anyways, any news on the last fourthnight? havent been around a good while?

So... any sign of computer Nenagh literaced people? I'm sure there are access from Nenagh, when the town got it's first Internet cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ya , im from Nenagh. i heard the ryans also want to buy louies. some of the new developments should be interesting, but we do need a cinema i havn't gone to the one in town in about 5 years its terrible.
    it would also be nice if the town had a park.

• Advertisement

Ya heard they tried to buy Louies too donno what happened! They also tried to buy Xing Da, the chinese takeaway beside downlinz. But someone else came and bid higher!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement