Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well i heard the bid for louies was not high enough to be accepted. If they really want it they will bid higher and get it.

Now lets talk about Millerbrook(borrisokane rd.). I can see this new estate from my house, its on the other side of the river.
    It was only ment to be about 100 houses. But Gilmartin kept applying for more planning permission and in the end there will be about 200 houses there, all on top of each other.
    If this many houses are built the price of houses in the estate will drop, so anyone who got the first lot of houses will be screwed.
    It is swamp land, 5 years ago there was heavy rain and the place was totally flooded. It will happen again. I pity the idiots that have purchased a house there.
    Gilmartin also wants to bridge the river and put houses on the rathnaleen(old birr road) side

In other news i hear procter and gamble have let go of all part-time staff. in the next 6 months it is to be decided if they will leave Nenagh for good or not. If they go it will be very bad for the town. i can see house prices dropping with alot of people selling up and moving.

So, any more gossip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Ya heard they tried to buy Louies too donno what happened! They also tried to buy Xing Da, the chinese takeaway beside downlinz. But someone else came and bid higher!
    Good chinese in there, tasty stuff...

Good chinese in there, tasty stuff...

The turban inn is my favourite take away. i like hot food :)
    Has anyone had the mex hot from presto's pizza? That thing has a realll kick to it, ouch!
    For lunch café q on the main street do a nice salmon on a bagel.

Whats with all the crappy modifyed cars around town, fair enough if people want to do up their cars, but most of them look and sound awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Ya heard they tried to buy Louies too donno what happened! They also tried to buy Xing Da, the chinese takeaway beside downlinz. But someone else came and bid higher!

Ok, where's louise's? I know I sound like I live in a big doughnut shaped cave :D

The Xingda crowd are so crooked that if they were stragthend out they would still look raven, they apparntly moved to the corner building beside Subway, anyone answer me this as to why, they have changed there name more times than the totals of this text..

Oh yes the Turban is nice, espcially the Naan bread uuuuuemmmmmm

Traffic is bad, very

tuxy wrote:

Now lets talk about Millerbrook(borrisokane rd.). I can see this new estate from my house, its on the other side of the river.
    It was only ment to be about 100 houses. But Gilmartin kept applying for more planning permission and in the end there will be about 200 houses there, all on top of each other.
    If this many houses are built the price of houses in the estate will drop, so anyone who got the first lot of houses will be screwed.
    It is swamp land, 5 years ago there was heavy rain and the place was totally flooded. It will happen again. I pity the idiots that have purchased a house there.
    Gilmartin also wants to bridge the river and put houses on the rathnaleen(old birr road) side

Whoa! this is mad news. hilarious, It was surprising that this got planning permission in the first place, which is now not relevant to a certain point,
    but my point as why the hell is he even planning to build more there when taking into consideration the land aspect, the terrain, flooding which is not all fixed, and the sererage plant is right across the river? I see major problems here!! water and sewerage from these estates are lower than the plant, which is not correct! which is the reason why they built the plant on top of a hill sloping towards the river, which means careful planning, the obvious?

However Michael Gilmartin is not :p feck off Martin Build elsewhere

tuxy wrote:
    In other news i hear procter and gamble have let go of all part-time staff. in the next 6 months it is to be decided if they will leave Nenagh for good or not. If they go it will be very bad for the town. i can see house prices dropping with alot of people selling up and moving.

So, any more gossip?

Take this is a national Nenagh holiday, Every few months there's a scare of this plant is shutting down. they just layed off temp workder whic they do evey holly year and take more on at the end of the year, it's a way "ehem ehem I can't say"

Look at the size of the plant comparable to ten years ago, its nearly twice the size ,the Nenagh Guardian were probably stuffed for news:D

Anyway. did anyone hear the Bird flu hit Nenagh, I threw out all my chickens last week be warned :D This will be on the Guardian, I tell ya

• Advertisement

Mysterious just threw a waterbomb on all the folks present on the thread.

Before you knew it I ran.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:D Well guys, I'm from Nenagh, born and bred.Overall, It's no better or worse than most small Irish towns. its driven by by economic change-- some good, some bad.Lets look at the pro's
    1. Excellent sports facilities. It lacks nothing except the late lamented squash club. Thurles and roscrea have ,as yet no pools, Nenagh has two.Lets face it you have to spend some money on any activity.The Bowling alley in the Stereame is going ahead as far as I know.There are two clubs in Dromineer and are not expensive to join.Nothing beats a sunny Sunday on the Lake, well for middle aged geriatrics like me.
    2. Reasonable shops-the new Tesco and Woodies will make a difference.We could do with a good music shop like HMV and dedicated book shop.We still have a good smattering of local interest shops which gives the place local colour.Walk down streets in Limerick and you could be on any British High street.
    3. Local ambience is good-I know this is vague but people say Nenagh is a friendly town --unlike some "clannish "towns I could mention.
    4. As for communication , I'm on broadband without any hassle, connected to the local exchange.
    Cons1. Well I'm past chasing skirt in night clubs so I won't comment.

2. The town has some of the most goddam awful architecture imposed on us in recent years. I include the Shabby court Hotel from hell, the local creamery
    and the new Quintins way. Does anybody think this could have been built by Hitler to dominate the masses ??
    3. We've got a brain dead Urban council with a few honourable exceptions.All they seem interested in is screwing everybody for actually parking in Nenagh to shop. Traffic management is non existant.( For all you people who insist on parking on double yellow lines at Andy Flynns and single lines in Mitchel St , stop being lazy SOB's and park properly--you obstruct traffic as if you care.)
    4 I could go on and on but its as well to keep thing is perspective.Nenagh still has a soul, so lets all stop being Me Feiners and learn to give and take.
    I'snt blogging great !!

Ah Nenagh isn’t that bad. I don't think the lads intentionally speak badly about the place when they the very least have good things to say! I take this advice in many areas of me fein

After all it's easier to be Negative I suppose! Well did I hit anyone with my waterbomb?:confused:

I have noticed a few cool things about Nenagh and no it's not the Architecture, nearly choked on my pretzel :D but it's the wide range of new restaurants not, ( and wait.... no, not just fast food restaurant...
    Nope not Subway either, in case anyone might be unsure it's a fast food restaurants, and all those people who are vegetarians, sorry they have meat in the products there too... :D

Can't wait to see the New Tesco's, a friend of mine said it's going to be larger than the Dunnes on the Limerick road? Btw someone has to load up a bazuka and nail some of the managers in there, enough amunission to blow them up! Sve our sanity when you want to but your local produce
    What in God's name, would you put a Fuken Garden stall in your face as you walk in the Main door where people should'nt get so imitated by it. This is not good for business, The Manager should Study a bit of HR...

Who is able to tell me why is it so caotic to just manovre a shopping trolley into four wheel drive,and zig zag the obstacle ranges are buns cages, bridges, buckets, sale ons stalls, boxes, more trolleys, other people's trolleys, even more around the courner obstacles, stacked up ear buds that if you walked passed it would dear colapse, stockes is just everywhere!, the exceptionally narrow aisles to make you buy more crap by the breads section, enough to make someone self concious about their weight. Funny that it's the bread section not exactly appropiate, Breads don't exactly make you lose the extra pounds

And.. nO baskets, twice I have went in the not to distant past, and Could'nt get hold of a basket never mind looking for one. I asked the manager if there was one? his response was there all in use? wtf? Note the shop was not busy. No I'm not joking:eek:
    I swear to God the place is run like a pawn shop upside down.

Oh yes I found this a bit odd? On the same day there was no basket, half the checkouts were in use but the Managers were still directing people to the drapery section to pay for the food? Oh, something not quite right? It seems like sometihing very disturbing is going on in the place? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's definatly a job for the Parnormal Mangerial sydrome extermnator!

The whole point of this is, Below
    I'm afraid the place needs to be re- a managed by me ;):D
    Rolls up the sleeves!

I was in the new C.C.HQ the other day. It looks class a bit too strange for Nenagh. You can tell the council is up to there crown in death, for building the complex.

Any word on the New through road by the Gaelscoil to Ormond Keep, I don't know what all the fuss is about? I mean, I know there will be extra traffic, which could cause stir with the Ormond residents, but nothing like, the WAY they expect, the worst-case scenario is bull. They just don't want it and that's that. So people in this town should moan about something whether it's suits them or not. St Conlon's road could do with it the relief anyways. There is to be cycle lanes, calming measures, pedestrian crossings all lighting (note there is no lighting at the moment) This speaks for itself so all those against it, cut the load of bollix please, get on with it, Cars are only dangerous if the person driving is dangerous. There is too much development going on at present and if this route were to be halted it would really put a strain not only on the St.Conlons road but surrounding roads and infrastructure. On the Guardian it was noted that the town needs more radial routes, surprisingly nothing about this topical route..
    Let's look at it closely shall we; there is absolutely no through road between the town centre and the N52 bypass. How many estates sprawl between the two points? In my opinion it's logical? It would serve the right, improve links and create more sustainable development; it might even deflect the anti social behavior where the proposed selected route is.
    What do you think?
    I think the parking madness is madness in this town, with so many car parks, will they even use the ever expanding idea to build a multistorey car park, (No just in case it's not a drive thru restaurant). People still park along double yellow lines, I guess people in Nenagh don't see the logic of getting a ticket fine, Recipo? Maybe that might explain why people park along the streetsthat they are not supposed to... :confused:

Off topic, the town's total electorate population has already reached 6,400 by stats? mainly due to the mass immigration. It's looks like it will marginally take the title of Thurles in the Next census, I could be wrong. Interestingly I could easily say the town now is like no body really know nobody.. lol

Cuple of questions
    A. Do you live in the town?
    B. live not to far, ie templederry (sweet jesus)
    C. Emigrated. (I know why) :D
    D. Moved here recently, Explain one reason as to why, please
    F. No choice????
    G. Don't know where you live?
    H. Don't understand what is being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:D Well. I shouldn't be posting at 2.15 am when the brain is getting irrational.
    However............What we would all like is a kind of small Kilkenny: clean streets, friendly people, good local interest shops,and a mix between recretional and shopping facilities.
    I think the problem is that the urban council are dominated by ( mainly ) business interests who put their needs first. Their legacy is a complete failure to open the Castle as a tourist interest ( Nenagh's greatest asset in my view ) chronic traffic management -how about a few paedestrian streets, and enforcement of the parking laws. We also need to ' green ' the town with lots more trees and open a clean park for mothers and kids and bored teenagers to spot the talent. The castle field fails because it is hidden from general view and not monitored.
    Pull down shutters on shops should be banned as they are the kiss of death for any streetscape ( traders can install them inside their windows if security is vital. )
    The new restaurants are good and good luck to all the proprietors. Of course if we had continental style coffee houses, pizza parlours and ethnic restaurants which served drought beer , a lot of out teenages would desert the pub and not fall out on the street at closing time drunk and aggressive .
    Thank Fianna Fail the 'publican' party for vetoing that notion.
    I could go on but then is there anybody out there ! Think I'll start a blog about Nenagh.................

recipio wrote:
    What we would all like is a kind of small Kilkenny: clean streets, friendly people, good local interest shops,and a mix between recretional and shopping facilities.

I think it is improving. Some areas of the town is black with litter. Scumbags know who you are! pick up your litter, you don't need your moma to tell you that!

recipio wrote:
    I think the problem is that the urban council are dominated by ( mainly ) business interests who put their needs first. Their legacy is a complete failure to open the Castle as a tourist interest ( Nenagh's greatest asset in my view )

This is just madness, how many times has big headed Berti, Sorry for the insult, but it's true he came twice in the last few years and came again recently. On all occaisons, he and the other members of the "publican" party mooted the castle project and....... well what is REALLY being done???:rolleyes:
    recipio wrote:
    chronic traffic management -how about a few paedestrian streets, and enforcement of the parking laws. We also need to ' green ' the town with lots more trees and open a clean park for mothers and kids and bored teenagers to spot the talent. The castle field fails because it is hidden from general view and not monitored.)

My Ideas and well other ideas, correct me if I'm wrong on this or However...

1.Pedstrianise from Quintens way to Sliver St this would greatly improve the traffic flow to these streets and also allow constant movement of Kenyon - Mitchells St

2.Allow for more access roads due to the growing number of housing estates and to much traffic is depending on the main arterial routes in the town centre to get from A to B.... And If the Pedstrianisation is to proceed.Then it would be wise to Improve the New line road (Railway roundabout) likewise for the greater traffic flows which will have to divert hence the Main st as this runs parellel to the street which means the traffic has to go somewhere else. other's such as the Thurles to Dublin road links, St. Conlons road to O'Railly street, andpossible access from Dublin road to the N52?etc These were all mentioned in the Guardian I think.

3.Create a circulur and improve the Ie removing on street parking in many areas of the town. Areas such as improving traffic flow around Kicham st down to Pearse Street onto New line Kenyons st onto To Mitchells Street and back onto Ashe road/Kicham This would create an inner ring route.

4.Revitalise the Johns Lanes Cark park and maybe build high rise complexes and move these car spaces into the proposed Multistories. the institute car park is another major opportunity! Likewise the other Car Parks too...

5. Creating districts in the town....

A. Create a Cafe culture along Silver Street Maybe
    B. Nightlife area at the Railway bar to the Kenyon stretch
    C. Create a tourist/relaxing area around the Courthouse/Castle area and finish the Castle itself. Reopening the Heritage Centre
    D. Improve and Restore some of Nenagh finest building (Summerhill etc)
    E. Retail focuses on Pearse/Kenyon/mitchells/Sliver Street zone along with the back lanes such as Quintans way

6. Shehans stores with (((((the wasted land)))))DO SOMETHING WITH THAT LAND PLEASE!

7. Mentioned partially above create a town park maybe Johns lane or Castle field...

8. Sort out derelict sites in the town, surprisingly there are some real eye sores still hanging in there despite the amount of development going on at the moment.. Emmet place, Note: Volcanically active Millitary barracks?

• Advertisement

Any news in Town this week? sports news?

The Courthouse is really coming on now and looks quite well!
    The Convent extension will well under way. and will be state of the art complex, with modern science labs, changing rooms, new hall, basketball court I believe (will be one of its kind in North tipp I believe) anyone know more whats going in there..

Looking forward to hear from more Nenagh folks, to liven up the craic here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MacKozer

I am an archaeologist who is living in Nenagh at present, and working nearby on N7 roadproject, also I am columnist for Polski Herald (Evening Herald supplement) .
    I used to live in Carlow and I moved to Nenagh in the begining of ocotober 06. I like the town but of course I can see pros and cons.

I haven't discovered the town properly, but made some trips around.

1, What do you think and how do you find a growing number of Eastern-European emigrants in your town? Some parts of the town seems to be mostly inhabited by them (including me of course). I am living on Abbey Str. and the most spoken lingo is Russian, Lithuanian and then Polish.

2. Where in Nenagh can I find pubs with traditional Irish and rock/metal music.

Best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Deedsie wrote: »
    One thing i think the town could do with is a boxing club... Not kick boxing or karate or any of the other over priced martial arts activities. But a hard sport that can straighten out young people who lack direction.

Those are my two cents on the town, agree or disagree if you will...

There's a boxing club in town now in the institute , been there for nearly a year and a half now I think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Squirt Gun

Really thats great to hear. Ive never heard anything about it. Any information on it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Squirt Gun wrote: »
    Really thats great to hear. Ive never heard anything about it. Any information on it anywhere?

Nope , you'll find none on the interweb and the only place I've seen it mentioned publicly is in the guardian every 6 months or so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hogans heros

Hello Their How Is Everyone 2n?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I havent heard about a boxing club in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NenaghBoy

Deedsie wrote: »

Reading through this thread the chap giving out about the town (excessively). He mentioned at one stage that his parents also hated Nenagh. I think thats where i differ mainly, my parents always encouraged me to take pride in where i came from.

Alright alright... I dont "hate" Nenagh, i was just absolutley sick of the place. I am proud to be from Tipp and to be Irish, but Nenagh holds no love for me at all... and i was also born and reared there. I played GAA for nenagh and still never liked the place... Since those last posts, i've relocated so i dont see a huge amount of it anymore.

One of the main things i disliked was that everything that could have been done/was being done to improve the town was shot down. I'm delighted to hear that theres a boxing club started up there. I was on here looking for a new club in Dublin to start boxing and saw this thread had a few new replies... Coincidence! :) has there been anymore improvements made/amenities added? I hear the bowling club was shot down... but that the cinema is being refurbished?

The cinema has been closed for refurbishments for the last few months now. It's taking forever. I don't go to the cinema much but Storm in Limerick is only about a 25 min drive when it's not near rush hour traffic. I think that's where most people go. If you live in Nenagh it's vital to own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NenaghBoy

aye, thats where i used to go, even when it was open...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tallman

For anyone bored in Nenagh, I suggest you join Nenagh Macra nan Feirme.
    You will have Indoor Soccer/Basketball/Volleyball, Public Speaking, Debating, Capers, Drama, as well as the opportunities to meet people from clubs all over North Tipp. It's not just for farmers. Anyone can join. They usually have notes/contact details in the Agri section of the Guardian.

I live in Galway now. Theres' no macra here and I really miss it. One of the best things I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Does anyone know if there is an active athletics club in Nenagh. Ive started running recently and i want to keep it up during the winter. We are a very lucky town to have an indoor athletics track. Id love to get a chance to use it, i know a good few people with the same view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

get in touch with the maughtons on ballygraigue rd, nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks i contacted someone in the Olympic club. Starting training in there mid september. Thanks for the reply though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement