Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Orange Sims In Ireland?

• 16-12-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was just looking at the Orange.co.uk websites and couldn't believe how cheap GPRS is compared to Irish Networks.

I'm on O2 and it's 10 for 1mb which is just eight or so pages on Ebay etc. I have honestly spent 180 Euros just using my phone to browse for half hour each day on the way home from work.

Anyway i was thinking about getting an Orange Sim and paying the roaming fee. It works out much cheaper :) Am i missing something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i have an orange sim card. i bought it in england as i go over quite a bit and it is so cheap to call on it. much cheaper than roaming with 02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hi, is it true that it uses the O2 Network here as some rest of partnership?

Have you used GPRS in Dublin with it? Was just on Ebay and there are hundreds of Orange sims for 99p :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Nico22 wrote:
    Am i missing something?

Correct me if I am wrong but the Orange website says it is £8 per MB which surely is more expensive...

Roaming calls dont look that cheap either...!

A pay as you go SIM Card is an easy way to join Orange - just pop it into an Orange phone to start using our services.
    free calls, texts and more
    Join Orange and enjoy the following benefits:
    one fixed rate all day
    up to 1000 free texts and 1MB of free Orange World access a month - simply top-up by a total of £10 or more a month
    free evening calls for five years - simply top-up by a total of £10 or more a month

this is the cost of using gprs from the uk

pay monthly

Orange World Access (GPRS) monthly price MB included cost per MB out of bundle
    Orange World Access 4 £4 4MB £1 per MB
    Orange World Access 10 £8 10MB £0.80 per MB
    Orange World Access 25 £16 25MB £0.70 per MB
    Orange World Access 80 £41.13 80MB £0.65 per MB
    Orange World Access 400 £52.88 400MB £0.59 per MB
    Orange World Access Max £88.13 N/A* N/A*

* subject to a fair usage policy of 1000MB per month

pay as you use:

MB used price per MB
    0-3 £3.00
    3-15 £2.00
    15+ £1.00

1MB is approximately equal to:

* 160 wap pages
    * or viewing 20 web pages
    * or downloading 10 games
    * or downloading one high quality music track
    * or sending around 100 short emails each containing up to 100 words
    * or sending/downloading up to four video clips

pay monthly

Call 150 from your Orange phone. When you try Orange World Access for the first time, your first month is free. Terms apply.

pay as you go

Choose to either pay as you use at £4 per MB, or purchase an Orange World Access 4 bundle for £4.

Call 450 from your Orange phone to buy Orange World Access 4, or for more information on pay as you use, and enjoy your first month free. Terms apply.

I want to

see 3G phones and devices
    see the latest offers
    see plans
    see what's new on Orange World

my phone is using vodaphone when on over in ireland.

Hi, first .. thanks for posting that .. If you look close it says that over 15mb and you only pay 1 Quid per mb. Well I've just been on another forum and there is now a special 1 Quid Per Day for unlimited Wap. The guy is from Newry and says when he goes to Dundalk his phone switches to O2 Ireland and he's charged at Orange rates. Well i'm gonna have to try this now. There only a quid on Ebay and you can top up online :)

• Advertisement

my phone is using vodaphone when on over in ireland.

Tabatha, your phone switches to Vodafone when in the Republic? Thought Orange was carried by O2 here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope, my Orange phone from the UK has used both Vodafone and Meteor as the roaming network in the past.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Nope, my Orange phone from the UK has used both Vodafone and Meteor

Oh, okay .. and you've never been charged Meteor or Vodafone rates? just your standard Orange roaming charges or non-roaming charges? Sorry for so many questions .. just suprised that everyone in Ireland doesn't have an Orange sim if this is the case. Anyway, i've ordered one off Ebay and i'll post back and let everyone know how I get on with Wap charges etc, Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I see, you are using them for when you cross the border or are in the UK. Makes sense...

i use mine for when i am in the uk and when i go north...so much cheaper than roaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I get charged roaming rates when used here in Ireland.

BuffyBot wrote:
    I get charged roaming rates when used here in Ireland.

Hi Buffy, which network does your Orange sim use to Roam on and have you tried GPRS while roaming and if so any idea the cost per kb?

Advertisement