Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasma vs. Projector in the Attic

Options
  • 16-12-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Thinking very seriously about converting the attic and part of this will see the installation of home cinema. The room will be 14ft wide by 16ft long. The projector screen/plasma would be on the wall at the end (projector would be ceiling mounted).

As all cabling will be installed during construction this isn't an issue, what is an issue is the screen. What do people thing, projector or plasma. I'd like to keep the cost down so don't want to spend more than €1000 on the projector (sort of rules out plasmas then), but was wondering...DLP, LCD etc. I have concerns over the 'rainbow effect (didn't get this in Harvey Norman the other day watching Roger Waters). It's not going to be used everday, but probably quite about 4-5 days a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

id advise you do have a long good look at the PJ's when you buy them, because if you do fall fault of the rainbow affect its very very annoying, unless you train yourself to not see them, which ive half done, i dont get headaches anymore.
    a very good example of what the DLP rainbow looks like is here
    http://www.dietforum.net/balagee/projected/rainbow.html
    most people wont notice it but other do, like me.

I personally prefere dlp because of the depth to the picture and higher contrast ratio, plus i think it looks more film like.

Ive seen LCD but im put off it by the picture looks artificial, to me it does anyway.

Anyways id say go towards a PJ as you get a bigger picture, and it feels like the cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh - That does my head in here, it's quite hypnotising and I think I have noticed it before, does it occur elsewhere, I think I have seen it on my mates 52" DLP rear projection Toshiba Tv. This doesn't occur on LCD Panel projectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The main consideration for a PJ is the light level in the room. Plasmas/LCDs are quite good in a reasonably bright room, PJs really need cinema levels of darkness .

If this is a dedicated Cinema room, and you have the skills/time to do it properly then the PJ is cheaper and produces a much better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

What about the noise from the fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Gatster wrote:
    Thinking very seriously about converting the attic and part of this will see the installation of home cinema. The room will be 14ft wide by 16ft long. The projector screen/plasma would be on the wall at the end (projector would be ceiling mounted).

As all cabling will be installed during construction this isn't an issue, what is an issue is the screen. What do people thing, projector or plasma. I'd like to keep the cost down so don't want to spend more than €1000 on the projector (sort of rules out plasmas then), but was wondering...DLP, LCD etc. I have concerns over the 'rainbow effect (didn't get this in Harvey Norman the other day watching Roger Waters). It's not going to be used everday, but probably quite about 4-5 days a week.

I have a plasma and projector in my attic converted. My advice is to go with the projector - but only for movies. Plasma/LCD for TV, but for movies and the wow factor, there is only one option: Projector!

It is simply a brilliant experience and it makes watching a movies on a TV, even a 42" a let down! Seriously, movies belong on a big screen!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pataman wrote:
    What about the noise from the fan?
    Projector room ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

most eco modes on PJ's have very low noise, mine being 26db, but in respect to sound you will hardly notice it with the surround sound.
    If you really wanted to you could box the pj with some mdf allowing a window for the lens and an exhaust duct with a 4in 800rpm fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was faced with the same question about 2 years ago and went for a Panasonic AE100 projector, displaying on a white wall, it's excellent, I mean you can get better, but for €1300 at the time it was a real bargain, 400 hours on the bulb and it hasn't given a bit of trouble.

We have a 21" LCD TV in the same room for watching general TV, but the Premiership looks awesome on the projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

me hijacks thread....
    What make is the best....
    I have around a thousand to spend on one....unexpected windfall:D

any bargains around please

Advertisement