Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

GPRS Costs In Ireland ..

• 16-12-2005 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know who provides the cheapest GPRS access in Ireland?

I'm with O2 and it's 1cent per kb which is working out pretty expensive.

Be interested to know what everyone is using and what you average spend is a month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Don't O2 have an add-on package of 1Mb for €5 which is half the rate you quote. They also have higher usage packages available I think.

I got the 1Mb package as a free add-on when I renewed my contract.

Edit: it's €7.50 for 1Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That's true but that's only on contract and not Speakeasy .. I have two Speakeasy's .. Nightowl and an EarlyBird .. that way I get 15cent a minute calls no matter which network. Never understood why they don't just do the 15cent anytime package.

Hey, just noticed that Meteor are now offering GPRS bundles at ?5 per Mb :) They start at ?2.50 for 1/2 an Mb .. bye bye O2

Scratch that .. Allthough they list the 1mb for 5 Euro rate in the GPRS costs page .. they are still charging 2cent per kb and it's an INCREASE in GPRS Costs and not a decrease .. unbelievable. It's getting worse not better. Hello again O2 :)

At 1c per kb O2 are actually the cheapest in the country on prepaid. Meteor went up to 3c per kb in the summer. The €2.50 per 512kb only applies to ISP access, not WAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Karsini wrote:
    At 1c per kb O2 are actually the cheapest in the country on prepaid. Meteor went up to 3c per kb in the summer. The €2.50 per 512kb only applies to ISP access, not WAP.

What do you mean ISP access? I cannot access any material?

flodis79 wrote:
    What do you mean ISP access? I cannot access any material?

He means that when you open an HTTP connection with your phone to the internet instead of the usual Wap Gateway. For instance Pop3 is accessed via http and also the newer Opera Web Browser (Mini Opera for S40 phones is fine via Wap though). GPRS of any kind is crazy in Ireland ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you used it, you can get 1GB on vodafone for 100 euro at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is there any Network that has always-on GPRS?

There is in England, which means free online games in N-Gage Arena with some seriously good games, but don't fancy paying for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Nico22 wrote:
    Hey, just noticed that Meteor are now offering GPRS bundles at ?5 per Mb :) They start at ?2.50 for 1/2 an Mb .. bye bye O2
    where can you see that?
    i just rang and they pretty much laughed me off the phone?

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    where can you see that?
    It was in my Meteor customer guide (came with the SIM) or here: http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/callcost_tables.html

subway wrote:
    where can you see that?
    Meteor customer service is a joke. Even if you get someone who can speak english .. they usually don't have a clue. It's amazing .. I was on the forum over at TwilightWap and people in the UK complain about the cost of GPRS even though the have Networks like T-Mobile giving away 40mb a month!

If you used it, you can get 1GB on vodafone for 100 euro at the moment..

What's a GB .. 100Mb? Do you have a link?

[QUOTE=There is in England, which means free online games in N-Gage Arena with some seriously good games, but don't fancy paying for it...[/QUOTE]
    Can't wait for UNLIMITED always on GPRS or 3G. It's only three years ago I was saying local call rates for 56kb dial up on my PC and that meant 4p per minute during the day and many days I stayed on from 10am till 4 oh 5pm. That was nearly 20Punt ..

.. and I'd have 10 or so days like that (like the fool I was) and so the two monthly phone bill was hundreds. Yet here we are in a situation were we look down on Ripwave that's only 19 a month! We'll also laugh at us mugs who are paying such crazy GPRS rates this time next year .. no question. God, the Networks must be making a mint with downloading Ringtones, MP3s etc ..

thank you :)
    ill be on to them first thing tomorrow.
    when she asked me where i read it I couldnt really just quote boards ;)

subway wrote:
    thank you :)
    ill be on to them first thing tomorrow.
    when she asked me where i read it I couldnt really just quote boards ;)

I phoned them about it and the girl daem't a blue what kb's were and first she tried to tell me a kb was one web page. Then she put me on hold. Some guy came on then and said the 1/2 meg is on top of the Kb for downloading due to the high demands :)

i was just told the only way to get the 1/2 meg for 2.50 is to obtain a data card.
    this is an extra monthly subscuiption and probably not much use in a phone anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nico22 wrote:
    That's true but that's only on contract and not Speakeasy .. I have two Speakeasy's .. Nightowl and an EarlyBird .. that way I get 15cent a minute calls no matter which network. Never understood why they don't just do the 15cent anytime package.

eh... because they would lose lots of money i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nico22 wrote:
    What's a GB .. 100Mb? Do you have a link?

http://www.vodafone.ie/soho/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp

1 GB 1 GB €99 €0.75 / MB

1GB = 1024 MB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

That has to be the best deal out there. I am glad to see the prices have come down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Those prices are criminal. Even the €99/1gb; that's recurring every month and I am presuming it doesn't transfer... As for 2c/min, just downloading www.vodafone.ie's home page alone - once! - would set you back €2.68! (134k)

Thank god for people who don't know how to WEP their WiFi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I wish i had read the fine print about the downloads too.
    I just got my O2 bill for one month €300...
    i downloaded 3 songs on my phone and a premiership goal.
    Total 20.6 Mb for €196....!!!
    I'm not going to pay that money ..it's criminal. I'll threaten to drop the contract and never use their network again.

what are these new phones with itunes on them how on earth are they going to download songs other than from their PC.

I'll let yee know how i get on..
    :mad:

Well I downloade full Opera today which is 1700kb and at the end of the download it wouldn't open the Installer and a message came up about Network Not Allowing .. sinned O2 and they said Speakeasy has a 1MB and i'm "misusing my phone". I said you having a laugh mate .. my phone's a Nokia 3230 and is designed with a large screen specificly to browse the net and they steaming content. He said that these were there for "convienence only" and that GPRS will always be this price as it's an expensive ..

.. to maintain. I just said "why don't you get a job where you actually know what your talking about?"He said that he did and working for O2 in the UK for four years and I was a fool to ever think that there would be Flat Rate GPRS packages in Ireland .. Anyway, I've had enough. No more being ripped off .. i'm gonna save up for a laptop and wait till there is a package available with 40mb of GPRS a month for around 40 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

ƒ

Advertisement