Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pyramid Schemes

• 16-12-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anbody know anything about gifting pyramid schemes operating in southern ireland at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

id love to get my finger into a good pyramid scheme on the ground floor hehehehe.. thats how i'll make my millions haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

May they all burn in hellfire.

Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 archclon

Ive heard of the liberty scheme...is it a scam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 allybalder

joe duffy talking about scemes in south west today on RTE Radio 1 - 12th jan - missed a mention of name - but you have to take money to Munich ??? - prob sim to 'money tree' - thousands lost thousands 3/4 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I know of a good lot of people who got burned by those wa few years ago when they were rife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

seems that there will be a lot of people burned in West Cork and a few of there friends will be driving around in 06 cars. anybody know when the next cash handover is due to take place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dano.

Its Not A Scam,
    There is no point talking about it until you actually know what it is, thats how all these rumours started in the 1st place.
    Its Not A Pyramid Scheme!
    As we all know only a few people who are 'on top' of a pyraimed scheme make the money this is not the case with the liberty scheme as there is no 1 person on top. It is not sim to the money tree!
    It is totally LEGAL its been going on in Germany for years. There is no handing over money to a stranger, there is no bank accounts involved, its all above board.
    Nobody has lost out, a lot of people have made money.
    Everyone who enters it becomes part of a team and everyone works together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Dano. wrote:
    Its Not A Scam,
    There is no point talking about it until you actually know what it is, thats how all these rumours started in the 1st place.
    Its Not A Pyramid Scheme!
    As we all know only a few people who are 'on top' of a pyraimed scheme make the money this is not the case with the liberty scheme as there is no 1 person on top. It is not sim to the money tree!
    It is totally LEGAL its been going on in Germany for years. There is no handing over money to a stranger, there is no bank accounts involved, its all above board.
    Nobody has lost out, a lot of people have made money.
    Everyone who enters it becomes part of a team and everyone works together.

:D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Banned!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭mentalson

Headline in Evening Echo

Pyramid scheme Frenzy hits Cork city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elaine2006

What are these pyramid schemes, there operating in Cork City at the moment and im hearing loads about them but i still cant figure out how you can make money for nothing???:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi Elaine - It's not you that's confused. It's the idiots handing over their money that are confused by greed. You can't make money for nothing, and they can't make money for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

RainyDay wrote:
    Hi Elaine - It's not you that's confused. It's the idiots handing over their money that are confused by greed. You can't make money for nothing, and they can't make money for nothing.
    Unless they are the government or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

daveirl wrote:
    just read that thread - utter madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

supposed to be going to a meeting about one 2nite. this one is apparantly put in 1000, and get back 8000 in a few weeks provided you get 2 people to do the same after you to push u up the line...very dodg i know, i wont do it i'd say, but i'd be interested to find out about it. a few of my neighbours are suposed to be getting.already got their €8000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Quite surprised at just how stupid people here are.

Mind you, lots of them are the same thickos that having being putting their children's allowance into savings account for the last 10 years with interest rates at half the rate of inflation, so that their money has devalued. Quite surprised that folks that dopey manage to make money at all. I guess thats the celtic tiger for you.

I'm hearing about it all from a friend who is hearing lads at work obsessing about it. This is pure hearsay of course, I can't confirm 100% if its true. I've been trying to show my gullible friends who are all excitedly talking about taking out bank loans for 5-10k to "invest" that its simply doesn't work out mathematically. If 100 people put 100 euro each into a box you simply cannot take out 800 euros each - it doesn't work.

Apparently much of the problem at the moment is that people are setting up their own schemes and bringing greedy and gullible family and friends into it, and these are not only more likely again to collapse, they also will cause huge animosity when those who miss out find out they've been scammed.

Also apparently people are hiding money under matresses all full well in the knowledge that they should be declaring profits for capital gains tax (and can theoretically be done for money laundering). A friend who is convinced that the money under the mattress works took a while to convince that the 2 people who they brought into the scheme who lose every penny will only be too happy to shop them in. I see this ending in unholy murder all over Cork.

I don't think valuable Gardai time should be wasted on people too stupid to see the word "scam" written in huge neon letters behind this. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If people are stupid enough to throw money around then they get exactly what they deserve. Zero sympathy here, though I am persistently begging friends not to be stupid enough to throw their money away on something like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 boxoid

i received 8k last Thursday night.... i put 1k back in (nothing to lose) and received another 8k last night....
    starting to slow down now so i didn't put anything back in this time... ill wait for one to start off in a new area...

but be warned... 85% of the people who put money in will lose... be sure your early and there is a lot of interest in people coming in behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

boxoid wrote:
    be sure your early and there is a lot of interest in people coming in behind you.
    Lol @ the southerners who think money grows on a pyramid shaped tree.

'Want to get ahead of inheritance tax - set up a family pyramid scheme. Your parents may never talk to you again but what the hell, they have nothing left to leave you anyway.'

• Advertisement

Bantry in flames!!

Well, tractor in Bantry in flames, windows broken in pub, hairsalon had a door kicked in etc. etc.

It's a mini putsch.

Apparently, this was a new scam involving putting in €1k and waiting a few days to get back €8k!! If it wasn't so serious you'd have to laugh - clearly they were 'mopping up' all the suckers who heard the success stories of the main scheme and wanted to get rich as quickly as a few of their neighbours. Clearly preying on greed is a soft touch, preying on greed and jealousy even softer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

boxoid wrote:
    received 8k last Thursday night.... i put 1k back in (nothing to lose) and received another 8k last night....
    starting to slow down now so i didn't put anything back in this time... ill wait for one to start off in a new area...

but be warned... 85% of the people who put money in will lose... be sure your early and there is a lot of interest in people coming in behind you.

Hi I work for the revenue, can you please send me your home address and pps number? (unless you've already done this of course)

:D

edit: actually, don't worry. we got it already.

tbh wrote:
    please send me your home address

I'd say simply follow the mob!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When this scheme collapses under its own weight there will be hell to pay.

It'll be like "The Field" crossed with Sopranos.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Jesus, I can't believe people are so stupid this day in age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

boxoid wrote:
    i received 8k last Thursday night.... i put 1k back in (nothing to lose) and received another 8k last night....

Strange isn't it how everybody who is currently in one or other of these schemes is making vast amounts of money like loaves and fishes. I am suspicious that a lot of these claims are actually untrue and are desperate attempts by people to ensure that others follow them into the schemes in the hope of getting their money back. A housemate of mine said a guy at work has been bragging for the last 3 weeks about how he made xxxx amounts of money and keeps asking people to invest. He has my friend tormented as she sits opposite him at work and he keeps asking her to "invest". Then a couple of days ago it was heard that two guys took out loans of 5k each and invested with him. Apparently his scheme almost immediately collapsed leaving these guys out of pocket. He's mysteriously gone on "sick leave" in the meantime.

Quite simply if you want to turn 1k into 8k that 7k has to come from somewhere. I'm astounded at the naivety of those considering and investing in such schemes as their risks are so huge. I think a lot of those who lose are going to be too embarassed about their own stupidity and are keeping their mouths shut in shame. And I was just thinking a few weeks ago that there was a special class only taught in schools in the south called "How to grow up a total idiot"....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cowlren

if gardai are right and say 20 mill has been invested then lets say 2047 ten grand investments are involved. Of these only 255 have been paid out.

for the other 7/8 (1,792) to be paid out in full they'll need and extra 14,336 ten grand investors or 28,672 5 grand investors.

so leaving up to 30,000 people out of pocket. (unless they in turn find another 100-200 thousand investors;)

end of the line i'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement