Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI anyone ??

• 16-12-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Ok, so you've got your 2 grand, all singing, all dancing LCD HDTV with all the fancy sockets and stuff.

You've waited for 2 hours for your Xbox360 after prebooking for 3 months.

And then you find out the don't even give you a proper HD output cable. Component is only analogue.

So where's the HDMI cable we were promised with the launch ?? a proper digital HD signal.

Anyone ???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't remember them ever promising a HDMI cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I don't remember them ever promising a HDMI cable.

I see they got to you too. It's all cloaks and daggers these days, isn't it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Whats Actually the Difference between HDtv and HDmi i see some tv's have Mi some dont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My HDTV has DVi on it instead of HDMi, so the best I'm able to do is with the VGA HD cable and a VGA => DVi adapter... it's a right pain in the ass... I would have thought most HDTVs were either HDMi or DVi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Alnilam

Whats Actually the Difference between HDtv and HDmi i see some tv's have Mi some dont?

HDTV

HDMI

in a nutshell HDTV is the standard and HDMI is one of the many different types of connectors :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

HDMI is DVI with a different connector...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

HDMI is more advanced than DVI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

GStormcrow wrote:
    HDMI is more advanced than DVI

As far an I know, its not.. Its the exact same as DVI with the only difference being the type of connector employed - i.e. more AV friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

HDMI also supports digital sound. Very handy. No picture quality difference between HDMI and DVI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

daveirl wrote:

VGA cables are also "analog" but fully capable of HD signals (and higher).
    Unlike digital connections, component cable quality can vary widely from type to type and is susceptible to interference from EMI.

The "surround sound" on component cables is just the optional 2x RCA Stereo sound connectors, which can carry Dolby Surround (ie. old analog type) signals, standard Stereo etc. HDMI on the other hand can carry 1080p Display and 8 channels of 192KHz channel audio. The major reason Component is being phased out is not so much a quality concern however, its because it doesnt have any integrated copy protection. All HDMI connections support HDCP protection (DVI for that matter doesnt necesserily support HDCP).

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

liamskater wrote:
    The Premium Xbox360 already comes with one of them, and it's not much use if you have HDMi or DVi on your HDTV.

I must sell mine as soon as my VGA cable arrives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

my HDTV has a DVI input but came with a DVI male to 3 x component male RCA connectors so i used a 3 way female to female RCA coupler and the standard HD AV cable in the premium pack - bingo, 720p with DVI and no need for VGA cable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

my HDTV has a DVI input but came with a DVI male to 3 x component male RCA connectors so i used a 3 way female to female RCA coupler and the standard HD AV cable in the premium pack - bingo, 720p with DVI and no need for VGA cable :D

Yes my TV is the same got a female-female RCA coupler and hooked it up to the DVi port, the picture is really excellant.

yeh HD is excellent. tried going back to SD by plugging 360 into my gf's 20in regular tube telly at the weekend and games were nigh-on unplayable ... there ain't no going back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Furp wrote:
    Yes my TV is the same got a female-female RCA coupler and hooked it up to the DVi port, the picture is really excellant.

Okay, I thought this was possible too, I have a 42inch Plasma TV which supports 720p and 1081i but it is only via DVI! So I went into maplins had a look around to see what they had, I saw many connectors etc but not one that I could put the HDTV components that came with the 360 into and then into DVI.....so what do I need?....I thought I would need a the VGA connector then a VGA to DVI convertor male to female, female to female etc I don't know, Help!

Links to websites would be good so I can have a goo, or names so I can ask in Maplins....I know there is a way round it, there has to be....

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

. tried going back to SD by plugging 360 into my gf's 20in regular tube telly at the weekend and games were nigh-on unplayable :

sounds like a slight exageration there.

ok maybe slight :p the difference between 20 in crappy goldfish bowl telly & 26in LCD at 720p is quite something tho'

Easy Rider wrote:
    Okay, I thought this was possible too, I have a 42inch Plasma TV which supports 720p and 1081i but it is only via DVI! So I went into maplins had a look around to see what they had, I saw many connectors etc but not one that I could put the HDTV components that came with the 360 into and then into DVI.....so what do I need?....I thought I would need a the VGA connector then a VGA to DVI convertor male to female, female to female etc I don't know, Help!

Links to websites would be good so I can have a goo, or names so I can ask in Maplins....I know there is a way round it, there has to be....

Cheers!

The cable I got came with the TV the guy in the shop also gave me another one as I was concerned about the TV not having a component input.

Basically the Cable I have connects to the DVI terminal on the TV end then there is a lenght of cable with 3 male phone connnecters on the other end coloured Red/Green/Blue to connect to the Xbox 360 I used the component cable which came with it and then bought a gold plated phono to phono connector to match the connect the two sets of cables together.

When i get home I'll try to see if I can get some pics of exactly what I am using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

sounds crazy, lol try get some pics, your multi cable dealy sounds interesting.

I've seen devices that will convert from component to VGA... but they weren't cheap at around €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Okay so what if I managed to get the VGA cable for the 360 and got a VGA to DVI convertor, that should work? no?

Easy Rider wrote:
    Okay so what if I managed to get the VGA cable for the 360 and got a VGA to DVI convertor, that should work? no?
    It should do. I'll let you know when VGA cable arrives.

OK so as promised I've just taken some pictures of the cables I'm using. My TV is a Philips 32" LCD HDTV only has a DVI connector. But it also came with a DVI to Component Lead.

dscn27279eb.th.jpg
    This is the adaptor it has a DVI connection on one end and 3 mail component connections on the other.

dscn27287oo.th.jpg
    This is the back of the TV where the DVI connector goes.

dscn27329te.th.jpg
    This is the Phono to Phono connector I got from Maplins about €6 I could have got a cheaper version but I'm a sucker for shiny bits of metal.

dscn27331ko.th.jpg
    This the Phono connector with the 360 component cable in the background.

dscn27299kw.th.jpg
    This is the 2 component leads connected together.

dscn27342bt.th.jpg
    This is the guide I can upload a higher res version if anyone wants to see how sharp it is.

dscn27357nq.th.jpg
    And my setup

Idealy I would like a Straight Compnonent to DVI connector but I can't find on in the shops however I did come across this connector on the ATI website.
    http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/gallery.html

hdtvdvidongle6xo.th.jpg
    So you must be able to buy it somewhere.

Aslo I'm running the Xbox 360 at 1080i I this seems to give a smoother picture on my TV compared to 720P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

looks good man, what setting you got xbox on? 720p or 1080i?

I'm using 1080i I find this gives a shaper picture than the 720P on my TV I don;t why but maybe my eyes have adjusted to my laptop which is a 15.5" screen runnint 1600x1200 so i tend to find anything lower looks blocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

just to confirm for people you can definetly use the vga cable and slap on a vga to dvi convertor , been using mine since dec 2nd without issue. im not sure that im in HD mode tho , my tv is HD ready but when i try and set any video mode that ends in 720 or 1080 my tv says mode unsupported so in just running in the higest one 1380 x something i think. anyway it looks great.

• Advertisement

ZygOte wrote:
    just to confirm for people you can definetly use the vga cable and slap on a vga to dvi convertor , been using mine since dec 2nd without issue. im not sure that im in HD mode tho , my tv is HD ready but when i try and set any video mode that ends in 720 or 1080 my tv says mode unsupported so in just running in the higest one 1380 x something i think. anyway it looks great.

I've got a Philips HD ready LCD and this is what happened to me. However, on the AV menu I have the choice of PC or HD. When on HD it will support 1280x720 (720p) and whilst on PC setting it will support everything else. Don't forget that the 360 reverts back to it's original resolution setting if not confirmed to keep the new settings within 10 or 15 seconds. Therefore, by the time you change your channel from PC to HD, it will have gone back to it's original settings and the HD screen will say Video Mode Not Supported. On a related subject, when on 720p I've noticed that still images tend to be a little jaggie like text and stuff. Also it looks like there's a little ghosting over still images. It looks like a low opacity copy of the image covers it but slightly off centre. This is not the case with 1080i or any other resolution.

By the way, would the device in this link be of any use to people who need a dvi or vga connection but can only get their hands on the component HD cables?
    http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

Advertisement