Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Sinn Fein expell IRA-British Agent erm...

Options
  • 16-12-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

http://www.sinnfein.ie/news/detail/12435

Funny enough, I seem to recall a few posters here a while back using the "Stormont Spy Ring" as a stick to beat Sinn Féin, perhaps they might want to examine the fact that a British agent was in the middle of it all! Does anyone else not find it odd that during a supposed peace process the Brits are still running informers within Sinn Féin? And that the Assembly was collapsed by the Brits themselves while they later raided our offices in a ceremony of pomp and splendour? There are serious questions to be answered relating to this case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Smacks of Sinn Fein propaganda tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to bump this thread but can't.

from bbc
    Sinn Fein man expelled as 'agent'

Charges were dropped against Denis Donaldson
    Sinn Fein has expelled one of three men acquitted of involvement in an alleged IRA spy ring at Stormont, accusing him of being a "British agent".

All charges against the party's former Stormont head of administration, Denis Donaldson, were dropped by the Crown.

Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams said it was "a carefully constructed lie created by the Special Branch in order to cause maximum political impact".

The October 2002 arrests led to the fall of NI's power-sharing executive.

Sinn Fein said in a statement that Mr Donaldson was expelled from the party on Thursday night.

Mr Adams is giving further details at a news conference in Dublin on Friday afternoon.

Here is a statement by Gerry Adams.

I'm not going to offer an opinion yet as this is for information purposes only, when the afternoon statement is made public then there may be more to go on than speculation (how does SF know Donaldson is an agent?).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've heard it all now, and why would we expel a senior member of our party in the interests of propaganda??? Especially considering we've already been vindicated on the spy-ring issue. I suppose the sophisticated electronic bug found in our offices (which the Brits later admitted to planting) last year was "propaganda" as well was it?

EVERYTHING sinn fein do is carefully orchestrated to get the maximun publicity and this is no exception , if Gerry Adams said it was raining I'd have to go outside and look

So far the only thing you've convinced me of is your obvious paranoia, and you didn't address any of my points at all. If the Brits can come out and admit that they planted bugs in our Belfast office, how is it beyond the realms of possibility that they might continue to run touts within Sinn Féin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Says the man quoting from teh books of the paranoia masters themselves ....

The lyrics of a song spring to mind

"Paranoia, paranoia everybody's out to get youuuuuuuuuu"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Dont you think SF have a problem if "touts" are progressing to the higher levels of SF. To find your head of administration is working for the "enemy" sounds like poor security within SF/IRA.

As he was one of the people acquitted in the "Stormontgate" recently, perhaps the trial didnt go ahead because the british didnt want to reveal an agent.

The british and lots of other governments will run agents and gather intelligence on groups it wants to monitor and will do for a long time to come, to expect them not to is naive tbh

Thats true enough, it was just said on radio that Donaldson confessed, which brings an image to mind! I'll belive it when he speaks.

Mike.

That, nuttz is assuming that he is not;

a) Someone who saw something they didn't like and reported it - therefore in SF's logic "working for the enemy and an agent". Gotta love that paranoid logic.

b) Someone who got fingered in an internal witch-hunt.

Anyway, as mike65 pointed out (posted before I finished mine), we'll see when he makes a statement.

The lyrics of a song spring to mind

Well, to quote Chopper Read, "Just cos I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't trying to get me Jim"

Nutzz,
    Dont you think SF have a problem if "touts" are progressing to the higher levels of SF.

Yes. But dealing with intelligence services well-practised in sabotage and espionage the world over is a more than formidable task.
    The british and lots of other governments will run agents and gather intelligence of groups with wants to monitor for a long time to come, to expect them not to is naive tbh

Nobody is saying the fact that the Brits run touts is a new development, rather we are questioning the legitimacy of such a tactic, is it right to be spying on a party in the midst of a peace process? Is it also moral to be involved in the collapse of a democratically elected assembly simply to further the British Government's intelligence agenda?

• Advertisement

Moreover, is it acceptable for the British government to then attempt to blame Sinn Féin for a crisis they engineered in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

So they should have stopped because of the peace process???

You dont think there are similar "donalsons" in the UUP,DUP, PUP etc??

it wouldnt surprise me if our own government didnt have an agent or two within SF/IRA

What I'm saying is Sinn Fein wont turn down a chance at publicity good or bad once it keeps them in the news , its easy for them to harp on about being spied on and bugs being planted on them but when it comes down to it what do they expect ? The Brits are probably spying on everyone in the North including the Unionist parties .
    Its a wonder they are expelling him and not putting him up before a kangaroo court

FTA69 wrote:
    Yes. But dealing with intelligence services well-practised in sabotage and espionage the world over is a more than formidable task.

And when dealing with people well versed in "punishment beatings" drug running, bombing and general murder it would tend to also be a rather formidable task, no?
    Nobody is saying the fact that the Brits run touts is a new development, rather we are questioning the legitimacy of such a tactic, is it right to be spying on a party in the midst of a peace process? Is it also moral to be involved in the collapse of a democratically elected assembly simply to further the British Government's intelligence agenda?

I find this rather funny FTA69. Let SF clean it's own house before commenting on the intelligence gathering operations of others. I'm more than sure that SF runs its own "intelligence gathering" operations, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. Given SF's rather disgusting history I find it hard to believe their bleating about ethical behaviour is anything other than opportunistic PR at its worst.

And you should be more than aware of the old maxim which applies very much so to political life; "Keep your allies close, keep your enemies closer." It's a dirty old business. SF have more than enough experience on that particular fact.

Donaldson is with his solicitor, I'd say we can expect a statement in the next few hours.

Mike.

So they should have stopped because of the peace process???

Yes. I thought that would be obvious. When a few Sinn Féin members were arrested and erroneously charged with "intelligence gathering" people here were screaming blue murder, but when the British government illegally spies on Republicans, and later subverts a democratic assembly while trying to blame Sinn Féin, the whole thing is portrayed as run of the mill politics! Ho hum, pass the Jaffa cakes...

Meldrew,
    easy for them to harp on about being spied on and bugs being planted on them but when it comes down to it what do they expect ?

AS a party with a democratic mandate, we would like not to be harrassed, spied on or blamed for bogus spy rings I'd imagine.
    The Brits are probably spying on everyone in the North including the Unionist parties .

Why would they spy on Unionist parties? Moreover, is it acceptable for the government to be spying on people they don't like?

drug running

The IRA have never been involved in the drug-trade, and the fact you think they are highlights your obvious inexperience with either Republicans or the working-class communities where drugs are sold.
    And when dealing with people well versed in "punishment beatings" drug running, bombing and general murder it would tend to also be a rather formidable task, no?

Also, bear in mind that the IRA has put its arms beyond use and has ended its campaign and operations. Pity the Brits can't do the same.
    I'm more than sure that SF runs its own "intelligence gathering" operations, and it would be foolish to think otherwise

Like what? Oh that's right, you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

FTA69 wrote:
    Moreover, is it acceptable for the British government to then attempt to blame Sinn Féin for a crisis they engineered in the first place?
    Politicly yes, morally, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

It goes to show that the Nationalist community can still not place trust in the British Government/P.S.N.I.
    SF have done all that has been reasonably asked of them. Its about time the Brits started fulfilling their part of the agreement and make a police force that is acceptable to both sides of the community - not one that keeps trying to criminalise the largest democratically elected party of the nationalist community. I mean, come on-Where is the evidence of the Northen Bank job aswell? Its time for these guys to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Slightly less green tinted view here

It certainly is one possible explanation for why the trial was suddenly dropped - I saw the interview with Hain last week where he basically died on his arse trying to fob off questions on why the trial was dropped. Kept resorting to the "independant judiciary, not for me to comment" whilst the interviewer kept asking "why cant we know the reasons?"

The one thing that counts against it for me is why would British intelligence step in now, and not 3 years ago and warn off the PSNI long before they made the raid? I saw an interview with a former RUC detective where he complained about British intelligence repeatedly warning police off investigating people, long before arrests were even considered.

"To do away with power sharing, theyre evil securocrats!" cry the Provos. Okay, assuming youve got an agent so fanatical hes willing to accept serious prison time as part of the plot, but why stop now? If the trial went ahead, and Hain admitted that he was told the evidence was substansial, then the DUP would never ever consider going back into power with SFIRA. Ever. The evil securocrats plot would have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Why would the evil securocrats suddenly stop now and hand SFIRA a publicity coup? It makes no sense whatsoever. Why would the police step in and threaten to out Donaldson? TBH, it makes far more sense for SFIRA to twist the knife by outing a British spy themselves, than it does for the securocrats to do so.

As for why I think the case was dropped, I think its for the same reason Sean Kelly was released and the On The Runs given complete immunity from either facing their crimes or their victims - Because Hain and the British will do absolutely anything to appease SFIRA, and a conviction in that trial would have forced the end of the appeasement proccess. It was politically useful for the trial to be abandoned. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Like what? Oh that's right, you haven't a clue.

Youve forgotten O Snodaighs electoral workers/IRA gang/Gardai and their lists of TDs and drug dealers already? Seriously, you expect your organisation to go from bombings like Warrington to whiter than white whilst led by the very same people and staffed by the very same people?

AS a party with a democratic mandate, we would like not to be harrassed, spied on or blamed for bogus spy rings I'd imagine.

Agreed you have a democratic mandate but you also have a private army backing you which no other party has , also as a party the self same private army is raising funds by all sorts of means , and dont go on about being able to prove it . All a person has to do is look around at election time and see the amount of money SF pours into their campaign ,are you seriously saying all of that money can be accounted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

meldrew wrote:
    Agreed you have a democratic mandate but you also have a private army backing you which no other party has
    Didn't the Ulster Resistance back the DUP - oh wait sorry, it was the DUP that backed Ulster Resistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

meldrew wrote:

Agreed you have a democratic mandate but you also have a private army backing you which no other party has , also as a party the self same private army is raising funds by all sorts of means , and dont go on about being able to prove it . All a person has to do is look around at election time and see the amount of money SF pours into their campaign ,are you seriously saying all of that money can be accounted for?

Assuming the governments (British and Irish) were to think and act along the lines and rational you have stayed above then I really dont see any hope for this 'peace process'.
    SF are at least trying to clean up their act however slow and tedious it may be where as the PSNI/Special Branch are a law unto themselves and it would seem are accountable to no one.
    Indeed the Northern Ireland secretary Peter Hain has spent all week on tv and radio backing the actions of the security forces all the time knowing that they are involved in dirty tricks and continuing their dirty war.

Whos to say that this British spy didnt plant the 'evidence' that was supposedly found at Stormont.
    The security services may deny this and may indeed be telling the truth and that the spy didnt plant this supposed evidence and that indeed SF were running a spy ring but the thing is I and many others dont believe a word out of their mouths.
    The McDowellites on here can go on all they want about SF and the IRA but the fact is the biggest obsticle to a lasting and just peace in the six counties is the northern security services and their Unionist/Loyalist bossed and untill these people have been confronted and forced to follow a democratic path there is no hope of the six counties functioning properly for a sustained period of time.

breandan wrote:
    then I really dont see any hope for this 'peace process'.
    SF
    With respect.
    The Republican leadership are never going to go back to bombing and shooting.
    They'd be decimated at the polls in the 26 counties if they did and would never get anything bar hard core Rah support back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

On RTE today

Bertie Ahern:
    "This is just a bizarre twist, if what we are being asked to believe that the senior Sinn Féin administrator in Stormont turns out to be an agent of the British Security service, that takes some twist of even my imagination," he said.

Denis Donaldson:
    "I deeply regret my activities with British intelligence and RUC PSNI special branch. I apologise to anyone who has suffered as a result of my activities as well as to my former comrades and especially to my family who have become victims in all of this."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Baler

On RTE today

Bertie Ahern:
    twist of even my imagination!!!!

Sorry!!!!
    Denis Donaldson:

OHHHHHHHHH, it's all getting very interesting now. Seems like RUC PSNI British forces have a lot of egg on their faces now.

I am beginning to wonder if Mr Blair really has full control over that part of the UK.
    The Mc Dowellites on here really have an uphill climb on this one.

Can't wait to read their posts. Should make for good entertainment.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Sinn Fein expell IRA-British Agent

Why?

How many lives did this guy save by passing on information?

Look how fast the shinners moved in comparisson to the murder of Robert McCartney.

Fairly typical of SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cork wrote:
    Sinn Fein expell IRA-British Agent

Why?

why would they expell him? are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

"This is just a bizarre twist, if what we are being asked to believe that the senior Sinn Féin administrator in Stormont turns out to be an agent of the British Security service, that takes some twist of even my imagination,"

Wow, it baffles even this imaginitive trailblazer ;)

Advertisement