Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security with wireless routers

• 16-12-2005 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi

I recently got a wireless router , with one laptop and PC using it.

I am worried that it is possible for outside people to connect to my network.

Because when i turned on my laptop for the first time it was so easy to connect.

How do I prevent this? Is there a password I could set up?

Thank alot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Yes there usually is a default password dependent on which router it is. Often the paswords are

user : admin
    password :admin

or
    user : admin
    password : password

The manual should detail what this is.

Changing the password will not prevent other peope getting on your network. It WILL prevent anyone reconfiguring your router.

If you run window open a command prompt (go to start menu, run and type cmd). Type ipconfig and check for the default gateway. This is probably your routers address.

With the correct username and password open a wb browser and type in the ip address (probably 192.168.1.1). Then if asked for a username and password enter the correct ones.

Heres a link to some general wireless security tips. If you can give the the routeres brand and type that will make it easier to info thats appropriate to your router.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

Hope thats some help.

Advertisement