Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two 30pt modules at same time with OU??

Options
  • 16-12-2005 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have to apply for an OU course today! The reason being is that I just really need to start getting educated. I am almost 29 and without a degree.

I don't want to be doing 30pt modules every year as it will take 12 years to reach the 360 required for a degree.

I was just wondering if any of you have done two 30pt modules in one year and how did you find it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Two 30pt courses are doable..but beware that the assignment dates etc may clash leaving you with a lot of work to do at particular moments in time.

Most of the longer courses are 60 points, so it won't take you twelve years if you are doing one course a year. However, if you're thinking of doing two of 60 point courses a year and holding down a full time job then that is pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for that!

I am only working part-time at the mo so it shouldn't be too much of a prob. But I can get lazy!!

Today was the deadline for applying for courses. I was hoping to pay for it in monthly installments but apparently I needed to apply for that at an earlier stage.

I can't afford to fork out almost a grand on a 30pt module on my credit card at mo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

If you're not working full-time it should be ok.

I'm doing a 30 pointer and just about to start doing a 60 point course in a few weeks. That with the 10 point essay writing course is going to be 100 points simultaneously. I'm gonna be busy but think I can handle it. The only reason I have doubts is cos I'm extremely lazy.
    Next year I'm probably going to be doing two level 3 60 pointers, cos I don't want to drag it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In the OU guide leaflets, they mention that a 30 point course is about 8 hrs study per week, double that for a 60 pointer. However, a course instructor told me that 2 * 30 pts are usually more time instensive than the 60 pt one.
    Time management is even more important.
    Best of luck with the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Manach wrote:
    In the OU guide leaflets, they mention that a 30 point course is about 8 hrs study per week, double that for a 60 pointer. However, a course instructor told me that 2 * 30 pts are usually more time instensive than the 60 pt one.
    Time management is even more important.
    Best of luck with the courses.

Thanks for that, I decided not to go with the OU in the end as its so damn expensive!

• Advertisement
Advertisement