Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband and Router Trouble

• 16-12-2005 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I have just signed up to IBBs 1meg Breeze service (starting to consider that a mistake), and I have a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL router. The wireless is fine between 2 boxes. I cannot get through to IBB with the router. (I have no PCs with ethernet cards so I can't check if the broadband connection is working there.)

I have entered all relevant data into the router (Ip address, subnet mask, gateway, primary and secondary DNS). The router will not connect to the Gateway. IBB customer service say the PoE box is fine, and I can ping my own IP, and with a borrowed PC I can ping Google, and access it (at woefully slow speeds (>1KB/s). My pings to my own IP are fine, so is the connection to the router. All that I am failing to do is connect to the Gateway provided by IBB.

I have confirmed that the IPs given to me by the IBB engineer are correct with IBBs customers service twice.

Can anyone help, or suggest an MPCOE?

One last question: The ethernet cable supplied by IBB is a crossover cable. I can understand the need to use this when connecting IBBs PoE box straight to a PC, but IBBs customer service representative also insisted I use it to connect the PoE box to my router. Is this the correct course of action?
    Thanks,
    Dónal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You should use the cross-over cable. Your router may auto-detect the cable configuration but it's no harm in any event.

I presume you've tried power cycling the PoE adapter? That's sometimes required when plugging in new equipment.

Have you (or IBB) tried pinging your IP address from the outside, assuming you've enabled pings on your router?

Can you ping the gateway IP provided by IBB from within your LAN?

Does your router have any troubleshooting tools like ping? If so, can it ping IBB's gateway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DonnyFive

Hi, Blaster,
    By power cycling, I presume you mean unplugging it. If so, then I have.
    I can ping my Gateway. Here are the results:

Pinging 87.192.234.65 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 87.192.234.65: bytes=32 time=151ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 87.192.234.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 151ms, Maximum = 151ms, Average = 151ms

The router will accept incoming pings. I have not tried to ping it from the outside. If you would care to try, my IP is 87.192.234.113. I cannot currently ping this IP from the network.
    Thanks for you assistance,
    Dónal

My mistake, I can ping the Gateway from this box, as it's currently Dial-up Connected. On the other LAN machines, I cannot. I can however ping my own assigned IP (87.192.234.113) from the other boxes. I cannot ping the Gateway, and for some reason I can ping 87.192.234.64, which is directly below my gateway.
    I'm at a loss here.

Have you set the network mask to 255.255.255.192? I think that's what IBB normally uses.

Yeah, that's the subnet I'm using. I really haven't a clue what the problem is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Hey Donny, I have the exact same setup as you. I had a similar problem recently but it was because of my own messing around with settings.

I was messing with content control and pc privilages in the firewall section.

I reccommend not using the pc privilages as they feck up sometimes and forget the times so they end up blocking every1 24hours a day.
    Make sure url filter and content filter are turned off. The url filter works well at times and ive used it a lot, but sometimes it seems to slow the internet down and sometimes it doesnt block the url.

Also in the last section of the firewall, the SPI section, disable the 2 intrusion detection systems, these can also slowdown performance and for debugging purposes its best to leave them off.

When i got my router from komplett, the drivers on cd were kinda old so i updated them through 3com site. Kinda hard to find the drivers but once you update the router it resets all settings so at least you know you are starting from scratch.

Hope this helps, I've had good experiences with this router/switch, with a very good reception. IT has lots of features(except QoS) which work most of the time but sometime they fail and you need to restart the router.

Eoin

Ideally what you should do is get a PC with an ethernet card and hook it straight into the PoE adapter. Just to simplify things and eliminate the router from the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I had a similar problem for the last few days. An IT mate sorted it out. Apparantly my W2K Desktop doesn't support DCHP(?). In the TCP/IP settings in my Local Area Connection on the Desktop, he changed the settings to "obtain an IP address automatically". It worked.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I dont think that would apply here cause he is able to ping other machines, which means he has been asigned an IP address.

Advertisement