Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Please!

• 16-12-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hey, I was looking to get a home recording system setup after christmas. I've a Dell laptop, with 512mb of ram and usb ports (no firewire unfortunatly), and was planning on basing the system around that. I've a budget of about €1000, but that has to get me mics, mic stands and software aswell. I'd be looking to record 4 instuments at the same time, if thats possible with my budget. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Are all instruments mic'd or will some be plugged in directly (like a keyboard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Okay Mics,

Sm57's/Sm58's for instrument/vocals respectively. Classic mics and roughly 80-90 euro each. (270 max for 4)

USB is a bit of a problem. USB 1.0 - 1.1 based hardware will struggle with 4 simultaneous inputs as there isnt enough bandwidth to cope with 4 high quality Audio Streams. USB 2.0 interfaces are few and far between, the only one that springs to mind is the Edirol UA 101 but it only has 2 mic inputs. Your best bet would probably invest in an MBox 2 (450 euro'ish), great piece of kit with 2 high quality mic inputs. You also get a decent sequencing package in the form of Pro Tools LE so no more software will be needed. If you require 4 simultaneous inputs you can always spend the rest of the money on a mixer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I would also recommend that if anyone's going to be singing and playing at the same time, you get boomstands as opposed to plain janes. You can get cheap ones now for the same price.
    Nothing like some 'accidental slide guitar' while you're recording that perfect take. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Mbox2 all the way (as mentioned by beecher). Beautiful bit of gear, and you get Pro tools LE. Which is all you need to make a release quality album. Go this road and you won't regret it!

Advertisement