Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look at my site

Options
  • 17-12-2005 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Tell me if my site is good;) ;););):D :cool:
    http://workinpc.6te.net
    register if ya want

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I assume you realise that the email function when signing up is not working.....
    Also, theres not much too look at on the front page and the forum is standard.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

wow! that was fast I do need to work a bit on the home page:rolleyes: :o:o

try registering now i disabled activation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Waste of effort, TBH.

.cg

its my first site give me a break im still working on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

123 wrote:
    wow! that was fast I do need to work a bit on the home page:rolleyes: :o:o

what is actually on the homepage ? a link? is that it? does anybody want to answer me? does anyone care? when is enough question marks enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Haha. That's so bad.

I'm browsing boards on a secondary PC here, click the link, but apparantly:
    "We see you're using Internet Explorer, which is not compatible with this site. We strongly suggest downloading Firefox."

edited to sound less..... harsh:
    Overall, it needs a *lot* of work. It doesn't have any content, there isn't really much design on the first page, and it has way way too many ads (and use a spell checker on it too).

Im still working on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Some constructive criticism here, without meaning to sound too harsh

:: Search on google for the top 10 web design mistakes. Reading them opened my eyes with some very good tips and info.

:: I spent 1 minute looking on your site and I dont know what it's for. You need to redo your index page to give people a clear message as to what its purpose is. Internet users have a 20 second attention span

:: That link to the forums isnt very clearly visible. I had to go looking for it.

:: You have a pup-under window, which can really annoy users. I assume you are hosting your site on a free host like anglefire or tripod. If i were you I would go with using the webspace provided by your ISP, or even get your own dedicated hosting.

:: You have too many ads on your main index page, in the wrong places. They look invasive there. You might want to place them on the right hand side of the page, away from the main content.

:: Oh yeah, and don't restrict the site only to Firefox users. Its a very bad idea, as the majority of surfers still use internet explorer. Its a bad idea for a site to optimize for explorer or firefox. Make it work for both.

:: Consider learning HTML. Its not that hard. Try www.htmlgoodies.com

1 Thanks for that first thing
    2 Im making a banner and some more graphics to explain the sites purpose
    3 Im thinking about making a button to enter
    4 I am on a free server with just text ads and i might get paid hosting if the site is successful.
    5 I need to fix that and find out how to spread them out on my forum
    6 Im going to remove it now
    7 I know some html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

123 wrote:
    Im still working on it

Then why are you looking for a critique on it?

It's unfinished. To be honest, it also seems to be unstarted.

In answer to your...
    Tell me if my site is good

... I have to ask... "what site?"

There's nothing there to critique...
    pontovic wrote:
    Internet users have a 20 second attention span

That's being very generous. I'd have said 5 to 10 seconds at most.

.. Anyone want to critique my site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

- You should really have a site site not just a home page and hosted forum.
    - Why bother start an entire site not just a corner of one
    4 I am on a free server with just text ads and i might get paid hosting if the site is successful.
    -www.50megs.com
    www.netfirms.com
    Both reliable hosts and way less stupid ads!.
    -Dont move them remove them, ads show a want for money, look at other sites see how few successful ones have, most have only 2 one at the top and another on the side.
    - Yes support most users, but aim to give content optimised for firefox, encourage users to try it by all means but never say that they cant use the site without it or imply that the site wont be as good without it. Also how do you know that it wont work on ie over FF?
    7 I know some html
    -Learn more, if you knew enough that site would be a lot better than it is now, if you want my suggestion I advise using a blog hosting and you could try something like engadget or dapreview use.

This is all to be constructive but there isnt a lot to go on, to be honest my first try was quite a lot better. What do you use to develop the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Bard wrote:
    Anyone want to critique my site?
    Nice design. Not too keen on the logo though.
    niallok wrote:
    A technical problem has prevented the display of the latest blog entry via this page.
    You know about this error?

astec123 wrote:
    - You should really have a site site not just a home page and hosted forum.
    - Why bother start an entire site not just a corner of one
    -www.50megs.com
    www.netfirms.com
    Both reliable hosts and way less stupid ads!.
    -Dont move them remove them, ads show a want for money, look at other sites see how few successful ones have, most have only 2 one at the top and another on the side.
    - Yes support most users, but aim to give content optimised for firefox, encourage users to try it by all means but never say that they cant use the site without it or imply that the site wont be as good without it. Also how do you know that it wont work on ie over FF?
    7 I know some html
    -Learn more, if you knew enough that site would be a lot better than it is now, if you want my suggestion I advise using a blog hosting and you could try something like engadget or dapreview use.

This is all to be constructive but there isnt a lot to go on, to be honest my first try was quite a lot better. What do you use to develop the site?
    Im workin on both
    Id go to netfirms or some other place but they dont have unmetred traffic or support for php and mysql which are needed for my forum
    I use frontpage 2003
    btw how do you move ads in frontpage i know how to put them into the code but have no idea how to move them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

123 wrote:
    Tell me if my site is good

No I won't. I will tell you that it's **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

ah man.. dont take it so bad i got the excact same feedback when i launched my first site.. i couldent design to save my life.. but now i have designed over 10 sites and one of them gets 4 million page hits a month and has over 7500 wordwide members.. it justs takes a bit of trial and error and just teaching yourself html dhtml and a bit of javascript or even go so far as php.. but its pretty easy.. but the main thing to remember is like pontovic said.. browers of you site only have a 20 second attention span/ they HATE popups and ads all over the place try create little cubby holes in the site for your ads.. and try make it look professional if its a business orientated site, and friendly and fun if its a personal/humorish site.. theme it to suit the content.. have a look at one of my sites.. http://www.toyotagtturbo.com see the way i have the ads down in the bottom left of the main page so its not the first thing you see..

webmonkey.com taught me everything i needed to know to make my first site but the net is FULL of tutorials so "the google is your oyster" man!!!

happy building!! its good to start a project like a site!! just put in a bit if time and draw up some ideas, then try to code them ideas into a site:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Oh, dear. That's really very, very bad. Embarrassingly so, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That's not a site. That's a few adverts strung together ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

[harsh but true]that site is a pile of stinking poo ...have to click a link just to see the site, ads, popups .... it doesnt get much worse ... [/harsh but true]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Firefox 1.0.6 still didn't stop the barrage of pop-ups that confronted me after clicking that link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

123 wrote:
    Im still working on it
    Tough. You asked people here to review it, even though what you really wanted was some people to sign up to your forums.

You can take your medicine like a big girl now.

Tough. You asked people here to review it, even though what you really wanted was some people to sign up to your forums.

You can take your medicine like a big girl now.
    Nicely put :)

You know about this error?

Yes, it's intentional. It comes up when the script that retrieves the latest blog entry from the blogs.boards.ie site times out. Only happens occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Your site makes Baby Jesus Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Bard wrote:
    Yes, it's intentional. It comes up when the script that retrieves the latest blog entry from the blogs.boards.ie site times out. Only happens occasionally.

Have you considered using a cron job to retrieve it and store it locally every now and again? If nothing else, would speed up loading quite a bit.

Sposs wrote:
    Your site makes Baby Jesus Cry.

Aidan - site? Page maybe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

what is irony?
    is it a technical support website which is infected with pop-ups such as "regiscan, scan's you pc for malware" and telling me that i "may be infected with sh&te" ? ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

123 wrote:
    Tell me if my site is good;) ;););):D :cool:
    http://workinpc.6te.net
    register if ya want
    :eek: What the...

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    Have you considered using a cron job to retrieve it and store it locally every now and again? If nothing else, would speed up loading quite a bit.

I'm not 100% sure how I'd do that considering my site is hosted on a Windows based shared server on hosting365. At the moment, it just uses an ASP script that uses the MSXML component to nab the content from an external source (i.e. the blogs.boards.ie site).

Advertisement