Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look at my site

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Bard wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure how I'd do that considering my site is hosted on a Windows based shared server on hosting365. At the moment, it just uses an ASP script that uses the MSXML component to nab the content from an external source (i.e. the blogs.boards.ie site).

Windows has some sort of job scheduling thing, no? The idea is that you set a job to run every hour or so that retrieves the data and stores it locally. There are ready-made scripts that will do this; it's how blog syndication thingies work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

rsynnott wrote:
    Windows has some sort of job scheduling thing, no? The idea is that you set a job to run every hour or so that retrieves the data and stores it locally. There are ready-made scripts that will do this; it's how blog syndication thingies work.

Yep, they're called 'scheduled tasks' on ISS as opposed to CRON jobs on Unix. To the best of my knowledge though, H365 won't let you use them on a shared Windows server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Or the poor man's workaround (if H365 don't give you cron/scheduled tasks access) is to check the timestamp of your locally cached content.. if stale, update new file, if not, just read/include it.. type thing.
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

the_menace wrote:
    Yep, they're called 'scheduled tasks' on ISS as opposed to CRON jobs on Unix. To the best of my knowledge though, H365 won't let you use them on a shared Windows server.

Really? Dear me... Shared IIS servers, as far as I have seen, are generally fairly dire. Having no .htaccess equivalent would drive me up the walls.

Advertisement