Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Majord going insane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

whats the issue with Dutch Gold anyways. sure it is piss but not everyone can afford the "I-am-so-far-up-my-own-hole-I-only-buy-expensive-drinks" drinks.

the forum has beer in the title. don't it?

snobbery describes it well to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Ag marbh wrote:
    Clearly not a gam0r
    hahahaha

you obviously don't know who fobia is

/me lols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

whats the issue with Dutch Gold anyways. sure it is piss but not everyone can afford the "I-am-so-far-up-my-own-hole-I-only-buy-expensive-drinks" drinks.

You got it in one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Very, VERY true. What's wrong with someone drinking Dutch Gold anyway?, maybe the people who have issue are the ones who only drink 'Probs' and 'Heino' and who's daddy is a surgeon, roissssh?..

i got banned for talking about it.shes the boss.oh yeah!can we still talk about bucky(the ambosia of the gods)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a bit extreme.

I mean in fairness, posting Dutch Gold as your first drink. What was he supposed to do? Lie? It's not like he was trolling. He was simply giving the name of his first drink.

It's pretty insulting to the OP to see everyone with their "Yeah you go, fight the power" speeches when it is in fact a totally valid question/inquiry that started the thread as opposed to the usual silly threads. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the forum or its modding, as I never frequent there, but thats an extremely harsh rule and a bit over harsh when you consider that the thread was called "Your first drink"

edit: Dutch is awful piss though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

MI, the last line of your post is precisely why it's banned on the forum.

A bunch of <50-post users were posting two-word "Dutch Gold" responses on many of the threads.

The B/W/S forum charter states that it's supposed to be a forum for the discussion of taste, drinkability, availability and value for money of beer, wine and spirits. On that basis, I could move threads like "what was your first drink" to something like After Hours, but still, there has to be some overlap between the point of the forum and just blathering on about drink generally.

What I don't have to do, as mod of the forum, and based on aims of the existing charter, is allow people to post "Dutch Gold" "Dutch Gold" wherever they please, starting arguments about the fact that it's awful piss, and derailing the original point of the OP's thread.

If none of the "Dutch Gold" posters can even be bothered writing a full sentence supporting the merits of the lager, why should I think it's anything other than a cheap-ass troll?

If people want to talk trash, the internet's a big place. They can do it anywhere else that they please.

If people want to ponce on about how anybody who has tried to broaden their drinking horizons past anything that sells at six cans for a fiver is obviously a snob, then I suggest they take their Dutch Gold and their pot noodle and their burberry tracksuit and f*ck off and post on another forum.

Good beer isn't snobbery. Real ale isn't snobbery. Fine wine isn't snobbery. People who ponce on about the class of drinks while knowing nothing are just fools. The Beer/Wine/Spirits board was set up to try and broaden peoples horizons, not point fingers at them and laugh because they don't know the difference between a single malt and a brandy.

A measure of that (pardon the pun) does go on, but at the same time I think people get the chance to pick up information they may not have known and then try something new for a change. Which was ultimately the aim of the forum.

If you have nothing useful to contribute about alcohol except the brand name of a beer, stories about getting sh1tfaced at age 13 and all the other bullsh1t that plagues people who are serious about enjoying their drinking, then you've nothing useful to contribute to the Beer/Wine/Spirits board as it stands at the moment.

If the Admins feel that banning the use of "Dutch Gold" is still unfair on that basis, then they ultimately have the right to amend the charter and content of the forum.

As far as I'm concerned, Dutch Gold stays on one sticky on the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum for all of the above reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats totally understandable, but I just think perhaps someone who said his first drink was Dutch Gold getting a ban is a tad harsh.

Fair enough, I can imagine you getting annoyed over the amount of senseless posts debating the merits of Dutch on a totally unrelated thread, but shouldn't you ban it perhaps in the right context?

If you know what I mean. For example, banning someone for posting a pointless and childish statement away from the original topic is fine, but when it was a thread about your first drink, in fairness the poor lad was hardly trying to troll! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If people want to ponce on about how anybody who has tried to broaden their drinking horizons past anything that sells at six cans for a fiver is obviously a snob, then I suggest they take their Dutch Gold and their pot noodle and their burberry tracksuit and f*ck off and post on another forum.
    <3 MAJD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I suggest they take their Dutch Gold and their pot noodle and their burberry tracksuit and f*ck off and post on another forum

I hear good thing about www.dutchgoldpotnoodleburberrytracksuit.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Banning the use of the words "Dutch Gold" is retarded. A standard "No Trolling Allowed" rule in the charter would distinguish between those genuinely wanting discuss Lowlandian Precious Metal and those that are, well, trolling.

Unless there's a concerted drive to upgrade the pompess connoiseur nature of the forum. If so I predict that the names of all cheap forms of alchohol will eventually have to become bannable offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Dorfmeister tbh

MI, the last line of your post is precisely why it's banned on the forum.

A bunch of <50-post users were posting two-word "Dutch Gold" responses on many of the threads.

Wonderful. I have an idea so, seeing as there have been occasions where <50 posters have been acting the prick when it comes to the republicanism issue, lets ban the very mention of Sinn Fein from the politics forum. Or better still, lets ban the very mention of say Manchester United from the Soccer Forum, While we are at it, Why not ban the mention of, i don't know, lets say, keyboards from the musical instruments forum while we are at it.
    The B/W/S forum charter states that it's supposed to be a forum for the discussion of taste, drinkability, availability and value for money of beer, wine and spirits. On that basis, I could move threads like "what was your first drink" to something like After Hours, but still, there has to be some overlap between the point of the forum and just blathering on about drink generally.

Not everyone on boards.ie has €23K a year jobs MAJD, so it is only natural if someone does not have the means they are going to ask for a lower cost meathod of having a good night

here is an example of you going a bit too far with this dutch gold bul****

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054855371

How is the person who mentioned this product being a muppet. The very mention of the prohibited beer got him a warning and it wasn't even the central point of his post. and it was mentioned along with two other low priced alcohol products.

Not to mention the fact that every cheap beer that is availible in Lidl seems to be OK to talk about.
    What I don't have to do, as mod of the forum, and based on aims of the existing charter, is allow people to post "Dutch Gold" "Dutch Gold" wherever they please, starting arguments about the fact that it's awful piss, and derailing the original point of the OP's thread.

If none of the "Dutch Gold" posters can even be bothered writing a full sentence supporting the merits of the lager, why should I think it's anything other than a cheap-ass troll?

Then be a moderator and ban muppets, rather than areas of the subject the forum is supposed to be about.

The linked post above showed the merits of the beer in question and he received a warning for even mentioning it.
    If people want to talk trash, the internet's a big place. They can do it anywhere else that they please.

Still no reason to ban the very mention of a product in the area of the subject matter of the forum though.

more snobbery there. Just because someone who may be on a budget, whether they be a low wage earner or a 3rd level student wan't to get value for money, then they are branded as skanks.
    Good beer isn't snobbery. Real ale isn't snobbery. Fine wine isn't snobbery. People who ponce on about the class of drinks while knowing nothing are just fools. The Beer/Wine/Spirits board was set up to try and broaden peoples horizons, not point fingers at them and laugh because they don't know the difference between a single malt and a brandy.

Still does not justify the very mention of an alcohol product though.
    A measure of that (pardon the pun) does go on, but at the same time I think people get the chance to pick up information they may not have known and then try something new for a change. Which was ultimately the aim of the forum.

Like the post I linked to earlier, the person posted looking to try out new products, and just because he MENTIONED dutch gold in the introduction of his post, he got a warning, tell me that is not snobbery of the highest order.
    If you have nothing useful to contribute about alcohol except the brand name of a beer, stories about getting sh1tfaced at age 13 and all the other bullsh1t that plagues people who are serious about enjoying their drinking, then you've nothing useful to contribute to the Beer/Wine/Spirits board as it stands at the moment.

I could go along with the second part of this, but if your going to ban one brandname then ban them all.
    If the Admins feel that banning the use of "Dutch Gold" is still unfair on that basis, then they ultimately have the right to amend the charter and content of the forum.

I think the admins have better things to do than moderate your forum for you.
    As far as I'm concerned, Dutch Gold stays on one sticky on the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum for all of the above reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Seems a bit weird that the forum is banning even the slightest mentioning of Dutch Gold. Surely if there are persistant Dutch Gold posters posting duosyllabic posts pro-Dutch Gold then they can be dealt with accordingly. It seems a shame to segregate one brand name (as mentioned) into a single sticky.

What are we - a non Dutch Gold boys club?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I can agree with wanting to avoid some of the dutch gold related talk, but such a ban seems plain stupid tbh.
    As as few have pointed out, it's the trolling that should be banned, and not reference to the drink.
    It's true that Dutch Gold has become synonymous with cheap (and underage) binge drinking, but to ban it treats it like some kind of taboo.

Out of interest, Is Buckfast banned on the forum?
    What about Tesco Vodka?

Surely there's a better solution to this.

Oh, and here's the muppetry everyone keeps referring too.... :v:
    dutchy6lx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I must ask my father in law where he put his Burberry tracksuit,havent seen it on him in a while.:) Beer is beer..Some good some crap.And not being allowed to even mention Dutch Gold in such a forum is stupid....

PM'ing the mod during my first banning resulted in her telling me that I couldn't possibly like it as my favourite beer(I drink it every week, im warming up drinking it now) because she drank it during college and to her it COULDNT POSSIBLY be someones favourite drink. She then added "The buckfast thread even has more substance.
    Majd you are totally in the wrong here. You keep repeating how annoying it is when people mention "dutch gold, dutch gold" but this isn't the case for the last three bannings i've seen. Why should "What was your first drink?" be moved to after hours? It is COMPELTELY relevant to the forum you wrongfully moderate my dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

How idiotic is it to ban someone purely for mentioning the most sold drink in Ireland?Dutch Gold in your eyes madj is seen as a scumbags drink, only drank by those lower in society than yourself, Ill have you know I drink Dutch on a regular basis and Ive turned out to be a perfect pillar of society. Why ban Ag Marbh when all he did was answer and honest question. Boards.ie is taken down a notch by bannings like this

• Advertisement

Like I said on another forum yesterday, I've finally realised Boards.ie is not a place you can have a discussion with someone who has got a concrete opinion or mindset on something, it's not a discussion board, it's a meeting ground for people with stuck in their way views. Majord has decided that she's not going to allow the words 'Dutch Gold' to be uttered on the beers, wines and spirits forum, is it exclusionism - yes, is it sad/petty - yes, are you going to change her mind - no, are you wasting your time - yes.

Okay. I'll unban everyone who was banned for Dutch Gold, and not ban it from the B/W/S board.

/shrug.

Laguna wrote:
    Like I said on another forum yesterday, I've finally realised Boards.ie is not a place you can have a discussion with someone who has got a concrete opinion or mindset on something, it's not a discussion board, it's a meeting ground for people with stuck in their way views. Majord has decided that she's not going to allow the words 'Dutch Gold' to be uttered on the beers, wines and spirits forum, is it exclusionism - yes, is it sad/petty - yes, are you going to change her mind - no, are you wasting your time - yes.

I agree with this 100%, It's getting absolutely terrible at this stage. When I compare boards to other forums I post on it really is a joke.

Okay. I'll unban everyone who was banned for Dutch Gold, and not ban it from the B/W/S board.

/shrug.

You shouldn't have to shrug about it. It's something you should realise especially after we all said that we respect the trolling aspect but you were just totally wrong.

I have tic that causes shrugging.

I am going about my business eating pizza, sitting in my room and warming up for a night on the town while posting on boards. Don't speak to me like you are above me because you're not, ok.

Edit - above was said because thats what she originally posted then edited.

Gday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

/shrug.
    Fair play ...you listened to the feedback and acted.
    However, I hope this doesnt set out a signal to those who want to joke about the brand and post about it in a childish way.
    Those who post such remarks as "it's great for getting wasted cheap!" etc... should be banned, regardless of the brand of beverage.
    It's a forum about the appreciation of enjoying alcohol responsibly ;)

whiskeyman wrote:
    However, I hope this doesnt set out a signal to those who want to joke about the brand and post about it in a childish way.
    Those who post such remarks as "it's great for getting wasted cheap!" etc... should be banned, regardless of the brand of beverage.

I agree

whiskeyman wrote:

I agree, I think you should be allowed to mention Dutch Gold in a post, for example if someone is asking what is the worst drinking experience someone ever had you could say "One time some friends and I ...... dutch gold ........ etc etc.". Assholes who just post Dutch Gold as a two word reply should still be warned->banned as it's never going to add anything to a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Ag marbh wrote:
    I am going about my business eating pizza, sitting in my room and warming up for a night on the town while posting on boards. Don't speak to me like you are above me because you're not, ok.

Edit - above was said because thats what she originally posted then edited.

Gday

on the other hand, i am above you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement