Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Strachan Quotes

Options
  • 17-12-2005 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

On Wayne Rooney...

"It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a

call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson."

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were

better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there.

Reporter: "Gordon, what will you take from today?"

Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a

Yoghurt to finish, the expiry date is today.

Reporter: There goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?

Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home,

Become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm

going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man,

down.

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the

right man to turn things around? Strachan:No, I think they should have

got George Graham because I'm useless.

Reporter: where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?

Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: "What is your impression of Jermaine Pennant?"

Strachan: "I don't do impressions"

Reporter: So Gordon, any changes then ?

Strachan: Naw, still 5ft 6, ginger and a big nose!

Gary Lineker: So Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you

play?

Gordon Strachan: If I was English I'd top myself! :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Who is this guy? A manager?

Very amusing stuff, nice wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Who is this guy? A manager?

Very amusing stuff, nice wit.

Lmao, he's an absolute genius for the quick replies to interviewers. I had a load more quotes from him but i can't find em, Drat and double drat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Hillarious....when he was on Match of the Day 2, he'd come out with even more classics!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ha! They were great quotes.I've never heard him say these.Thanks for the quotes OP....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

greglo23 wrote:
    Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]
    hehe ...very quick witted .. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

hehehe very good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I read that every month and laugh every time. Best sense of humour in a manager out there... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

I read that every month and laugh every time

Yeah, true. I opened this and was about to post "*yawn*" but I started reading them again and couldn't help laughing, especially the Jermaine Pennant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Some more Strachan gems...

".....I tried to get the disappointment out of my system by going for a walk. I ended up 17 miles from home and I had to phone my wife, Lesley to come and pick me up....."

".....The ref said: 'If I make a mistake don't make me look an idiot.' I had a great reply lined up but it would have cost me a couple of quid....."

(after Southampton climbed to fourth in the Premiership)
    ".....I'm going home to get myself a Coca-Cola and a packet of crisps, sit in front of the TV and look at the League table on Teletext all night....."

(talking about defender Claus Lundekvam)
    ".....When he was carried off at Leicester someone asked me if he was unconscious, but I didn't have a clue. He's always like that....."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

sinecurea wrote:
    Best sense of humour in a manager out there... :)

Its a close-run thing between himself and Ian Holloway. Possibly Damien Richardson too! :D

Some Holloway quotes:

* "It's like the film Men in Black. I walk around in a black suit, white shirt and black tie where I've had to flash my white light every now and again to erase some memories, but I feel we've got hold of the galaxy now. It's in our hands."
    - Holloway on QPR's financial situation.

* "It was lucky that the linesman wasn't stood in front of me as I would have poked him with a stick to make sure he was awake."
    - Holloway states his opinion about the linesman's performance in a game against Bristol City.

* "I call us the Orange club - because our future's bright!"
    - on QPR's potential.

* "He's been out for a year and Richard Langley is still six months away from being Richard Langley, and I could do with a fully fit Richard Langley."
    - on midfielder Richard Langley's injury rehabilitation.

* "It's all very well having a great pianist playing but it's no good if you haven't got anyone to get the piano on the stage in the first place, otherwise the pianist would be standing there with no bloody piano to play."
    - after being criticised for using defensive players in midfield.

* "I am a football manager. I can't see into the future. Last year I thought I was going to Cornwall on my holidays but I ended up going to Lyme Regis."
    - asked whether QPR would be able to beat Manchester City.

* "To put it in gentleman's terms if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, some weeks they're good looking and some weeks they're not the best. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi. She weren't the best looking lady we ended up taking home but she was very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much, let's have a coffee"
    - on the "ugly" win against Chesterfield.

* "You can say that strikers are very much like postmen: they have to get in and out as quick as they can before the dog starts to have a go."

* "I always say that scoring goals is like driving a car. When the striker is going for goal, he's pushing down that accelerator, so the rest of the team has to come down off that clutch. If the clutch and the accelerator are down at the same time, then you are going to have an accident."

* "I've got to knock that horrible smell out of my boys, because they smell of complacency."

* "Every dog has its day, and today is woof day! Today I just want to bark!"
    - Holloway after securing promotion to the Championship.

* "When my wife first saw Marc for the first time, she said he was a fine specimen of a man. She says I have nothing to worry about, but I think she wants me to buy her a QPR shirt with his name on the back for Christmas."
    - on QPR's new Danish striker Marc Nygaard.

* "Paul Furlong is my vintage Rolls Royce and he cost me nothing. We polish him, look after him, and I have him fine tuned by my mechanics. We take good care of him because we have to drive him every day, not just save him for weddings."
    - on veteran striker Paul Furlong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Laughing all the way through. Excellent thread. :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

*bumpppppppp*

Great thread. Those Strachan ones are hilarious. The Holloway ones are genious too! Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,364 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

brilliant thread, laughing all the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Must take more of an interest in soccor. Hes brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yogurt!!!......Bloody genius!! :D:D

Advertisement