Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerous foreign drivers

Options
  • 17-12-2005 1:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First off im all for foreign folk on our soil,i think its great but some of them really are dangerous on the roads.
    Atleast twice a week i see some form of either dangerous or incompitent driving from foreign folk and it seems to be mostly coloured folk.
    Only this week i on N7 Motorway approaching Portlaoise from Dublin side this lunatic with atleast 4 kids in the back and his wife in the front were all over the road.
    I mean swinging in and out of lanes without indicating etc,i could see them coming behind me in rearview mirror as i saw a few vehicles flash headlights at them and i thought wtf.
    Soon after they overtook me but was right as i was exiting Motorway to enter Portlaoise,next thing the same guys who was along side me decided he had to take this exit also.
    Dont ask me how but i had a feeling he was gonna do this but all of a sudden he yanked on the wheel and went from outside lane back acrossslow lane and into the lane leading off the Motorway.
    Onlt thing is i was already in this lane and along side,as i said for some reason i half expected it and instantly slammed on the brakesto make room for the muppet.
    I honestly dont think the guy even knew i was there,thankfully i got the car slowed down enough before i touched the grass.
    I had nowhere else to goas he just kept coming and coming without even looking my direction.
    As i say i got the car slow enough to negotiate 2 wheels on the grass not without a terrified 3 year old and wife,my 1 month old slept through it.

I was absolutely Fing fuming and wanted to rip his head off there and then.
    I had full intentions of doing so and off i went in pursuit of him.
    Unbelieveably he was still driving erraticly and totally oblivious to anything.
    My 10 mins behind him calmed me down enough to just take his reg and report it to the Garda.
    Thank God i did cool down as i would have thumped him one and got myself in right trouble,if i was on my own i wouldnt be too bad but wife and 2 very young kids in the car is a different story.

Basically this is the worst example i have seen from coloured folk but i kid you not every week previous to and after this event i see terrible examples of driving from them.
    I worked with a Nigerian guy a few years ago and keep in contact with him,an absolute gentleman but he says he has noticed this too and its not evident back home.
    I notice it doesnt matter what sex,both male and female are the same,not them all but a huge percentage of them shouldnt be on our roads.
    Another friend told me he heard they get grants from the government for cars,how true this is i dont know?
    Either way i tired of seeing really dangerous driving from these folk on our roads,yeah us Irish do it also but we seem to have become the minority now or maybe my eyes are decieving me.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What did the Gardai say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dcully wrote:
    Another friend told me he heard they get grants from the government for cars,how true this is i dont know?

Urban myth.

Just a warning - any racist responces will be stamped on.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm seeing the same thing myself all of the time. The coluered folk just seem to be poor drivers and most accidents they have are just tips and scrapes. It's the eastern european drivers that are killing themselves in high speed smashes. Those guys all drive really powerful cars and in their own countries they don't have any motorways so when they get on them here they just go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are a lot of foreigners and "coloured folk" driving on Irish roads these days. If you're only seeing a couple of incidents of dangerous driving a week from these demographics then that's pretty good going and confirms my view that the foreigners drive a lot better than most native Irish.

Every day on the road I lose count of the number of dangerous incidents I see. The vast majority involve "white folk" in IRL reg, right hand drive cars. LV, LT, PL and other European reg cars tend to be driven a lot better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of might be related to our handing out provisional licenses to anyone who can get a high score on a multiple choice, instead of actually testing to see if they can drive. That and negligable enforcement of things like unaccompanied provisional drivers, and no (way of) checking for tax/insurance on foreign registered cars.

The stereotype I see from time to time is, what I assume to be a mother in afican dress in a small 10 year old car with L plates, on her own or with children, looking confused and lost and driving at about 20mph.

Solutions
    * Sort out the driving test queues once and for all and not by any sort of amnesty like they did in 1979.
    *Remove the entitlement of provisional drivers to drive unaccompanied.
    * Create a new Insurance Disc for car windows, for imported cars which do not display a current insurance Disc. For a small fee €10 say, a driver will be issued with one when they produce valid foreign insurance. The disc like ours, will contain the policy number and have an expiry date on it. Insurance details have to be produced at point of entry.
    * Introduce random breath testing.
    * Have check points on the M50 exit ramps, where the traffic is usually stationary any way, to check tax, insurance, AND valid license. If someone is driving unaccompanied on first/third provisional, then they park the car in park and ride and continue their journey by alternative means, and get a fine/points for that offense and for driving on the motorway to boot. [A - it's illegal and B - cheaper to reduce traffic levels than build more lanes]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Yuo don't have to be forigen or 'coloured' to be a bad driver, theren are numerous bad drivers on the road thr problem is that you can get a provisional licence get in a car and drive and the chances of been stopled by the Guards are almost nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Hamlet

BrianD3 wrote:
    LV, LT, PL and other European reg cars tend to be driven a lot better.

In the past number of years the N.3 has become a race track for LV, LT, PL Cars.
    There has been serious crashes around D.15 involving these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The problem is that guards should be enforcing that people need a qualified drive if they drive on a provisional. Driving alone on a 2nd provisional should be dropped. But the reality is that there aren't enough resources to do this and there isn't the political will to fund it.

You need to vote the muppets out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's a mystery to me why every time some complains about the standards of foreign drivers in Ireland some genius tries to excuse it by saying Irish drivers are not so hot themselves. Does this excuse the foreigners poor driving? Does it justify it? Does it make it racist to comment on it?

The standards of driving and the levels of police enforcement in many of these countries leaves a lot to be desired. The driving standards in many African countries is appalling so it is nor surprising that many of our coloured vistors from these countries can't drive to an acceptable standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And replace them with what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Hagar wrote:
    It's a mystery to me why every time some complains about the standards of foreign drivers in Ireland some genius tries to excuse it by saying Irish drivers are not so hot themselves. Does this excuse the foreigners poor driving? Does it justify it? Does it make it racist to comment on it?

The standards of driving and the levels of police enforcement in many of these countries leaves a lot to be desired. The driving standards in many African countries is appalling so it is nor surprising that many of our coloured vistors from these countries can't drive to an acceptable standard.

Its just shows up the lack of enforcement.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    And replace them with what?

Different muppets. Stir them up so they have to work at it for a change instead of coasting along squandering public money. The opposition is dire, but really the establishment needs shaking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Its not just them, come on like it comes back to the old few rotten apples. There are an equal if not higher number of bad irish drivers on the roads too. And lets not forget the women!!! :p ... (Tip toes away quietly...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The most horrible thought is that they're actually the best of a bad lot. Would you rather that sneaky looking f***er enda kenny as taoiseach?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Uh oh...bad driving not just limited to 'foreigners' then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Once again the topic of dangerous driving comes up, and once again the usual "Ban all provisional drivers from the roads - that'll sort it!" line is trotted out.

Except that won't address the many (more?) muppets on full licenses out there that got them in the last amnesty, or are just generally ignorant and shouldn't be on the roads at all.

What's needed is an initial theory and practical test of driving competency, with ongoing and regular testing occuring throughout your driving lifetime (every 5-10 years say). That combined with the traffic corps doing something more useful than blocking up already perfectly working junctions might start to show some results.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hagar wrote:
    http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/askus/faq/idl.asp
    You should check with your travel agent if your Driving license is valid in Ireland for holiday purposes. If it is not you will require an International license.
    Actually it's an international PERMIt not license :rolleyes:

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/drivingpermit/ - How an Irish person gets one
    150 countries recognise them - anyone konw which contries issue them?
    The tests in Egypt (Guinness book of records) and Pakistan (Personal account) are minimal. But how can we complain when ours is only optional ?

http://www.ghg.net/ritakarl/exodus/exodus61.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Dcully wrote:
    First off im all for foreign folk on our soil,i think its great but some of them really are dangerous on the roads.
    Atleast twice a week i see some form of either dangerous or incompitent driving from foreign folk and it seems to be mostly coloured folk.
    Only this week i on N7 Motorway approaching Portlaoise from Dublin side this lunatic with atleast 4 kids in the back and his wife in the front were all over the road.
    I mean swinging in and out of lanes without indicating etc,i could see them coming behind me in rearview mirror as i saw a few vehicles flash headlights at them and i thought wtf.
    Soon after they overtook me but was right as i was exiting Motorway to enter Portlaoise,next thing the same guys who was along side me decided he had to take this exit also.
    Dont ask me how but i had a feeling he was gonna do this but all of a sudden he yanked on the wheel and went from outside lane back acrossslow lane and into the lane leading off the Motorway.
    Onlt thing is i was already in this lane and along side,as i said for some reason i half expected it and instantly slammed on the brakesto make room for the muppet.
    I honestly dont think the guy even knew i was there,thankfully i got the car slowed down enough before i touched the grass.
    I had nowhere else to goas he just kept coming and coming without even looking my direction.
    As i say i got the car slow enough to negotiate 2 wheels on the grass not without a terrified 3 year old and wife,my 1 month old slept through it.

My 10 mins behind him calmed me down enough to just take his reg and report it to the Garda.
    Thank God i did cool down as i would have thumped him one and got myself in right trouble,if i was on my own i wouldnt be too bad but wife and 2 very young kids in the car is a different story.

Basically this is the worst example i have seen from coloured folk but i kid you not every week previous to and after this event i see terrible examples of driving from them.
    I worked with a Nigerian guy a few years ago and keep in contact with him,an absolute gentleman but he says he has noticed this too and its not evident back home.
    I notice it doesnt matter what sex,both male and female are the same,not them all but a huge percentage of them shouldnt be on our roads.
    Either way i tired of seeing really dangerous driving from these folk on our roads,yeah us Irish do it also but we seem to have become the minority now or maybe my eyes are decieving me.:mad:

Just about everything there has racist undertones and your whole post infuriates me. The fact this thread wasnt locked/deleted speaks volumes of those on boards.ie who share the same distorted views as yourself.

Funny, every racist f***** I've come across has always claimed to have "friends who are coloured" - well what a friend you must be.

You make me sick :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I know a girl from Tanzania. She drives back home but she never would here, the speeds and the amount of cars everywhere terrified her. Where she's from the roads are so bad that you can't get up over 20mph (even in 4X4s), and you could drive for hours without seeing another vehicle. Even around the towns and villages there isn't much traffic and everyone can pretty much just do what they feel like and not have to worry about hitting another car. Over here with vehicles travelling much faster, and with many more in such small areas, we need various rules and systems to keep us all away from each other. Most of us have spent enough time on the roads, even before we start driving, to know and understand these systems, many of us would also get professional lessons. I think many foreigners come over, who drive back home in completely different circumstances, and assume they can just hop in a car here a go onto the roads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Savman ,read into it what you want,i assure you im not racist.
    The guy ran me and my family off the road WTF do expect me to be like??
    You make me sick

Grow up fool,read the god damn thread again before you make another lame effort to criticise :rolleyes:
    Where exactly are the racist undertones as you put it?
    Uh oh...bad driving not just limited to 'foreigners' then.....
    off i went in pursuit is what i said,please tell me where that incorporates bad driving?im dying to know,dear god the mind boggles.
    The fact that we were approaching 3 roundabouts and i had my family in the car in a town makes your statement total rubbish.
    Unless you have something constructive to add without your imaginary dreams i suggest you know what your talking about before trying to accuse me of anything.
    Again the mind boggles :rolleyes:

I get "nearly run off the road" every day, do you see me saying anything about the general driving habits of white irish people? No.

Do you know why? Because, like your post, that would be a brainless generalisation of an entire race of people.

I do not wish to discuss anything further with you, I know your type and its a waste of my time.

Good day to you sir.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know your type,paranoid android tbh,get a life waster.
    Sad little world you must live in.

Dcully wrote:

:rolleyes: yadda yadda yadda you insult me, I insult you, then what usually happens after that? A playground appointment?

And he tells me to "grow up" :D

Bye bye! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Dcully wrote:
    Where exactly are the racist undertones as you put it?

I suppose the bit that puzzles me is why you chose to home in on the colour of the offending driver. "A lot of foreigners seem to be bad drivers" is a slightly awkward conclusion to leave dangling like that. What did you figure we should do about it? I know I'd think twice about publicly resoning that "a lot of Kerrymen seem to be bad drivers".

Dermot

Sensitive bunch here arent we :rolleyes:
    What did you figure we should do about it?
    All i wanted was a constructive chat about the situation,obviously not here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Can we bin this racist crap? A bad driver is a bad driver it makes no odds what the colour of your skin or you place of birth. The fact that almost 400 people dies on the roads here suggest that people in glass house should not throw stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would have kept this open but clearly its gone well OT and is unlikely to have returned to the subject.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Dcully wrote:

paul mcgrath was black AND irish.

you dont need to be white to be irish....

why not just stick to the absolute facts in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Dcully wrote:

banned for personal insults from several reported posts.

and nothing to do with you insulting me thorugh PM i might add.
    im not worried about that.

apart from that, grow up.

i almost get run off the road every day by english people. so what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement