Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you insure a car like this?

Options
  • 17-12-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

How do they work out the insurance on something like this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=275977

I mean theres a big difference in putting in airfilters an exhausts which don't make that much difference but serious engine mods and the like which add a lot of power etc. How they work out the insurance etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hmm try the motors forum maybe??
    This is the models forum :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

oops, meant to pick motors. I'm sure the mod will move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I have 2 of these , and a porsche 911, ( Stupidly, I buy cars instead of a house)- I am insured to drive any car, as Im on our company policy, (just me and my father on it, he owns the place), i just move my disc from car to car. The only problem is , i have to tax thecars as we dont have garage plates, and its 313 eur for 3 months on any of the cars, so i rotate them every 3 months. Its the 911 at the minute, woohoo.
    Afaik my cousins are the same, they have or have had between them, ferrari 360, lambo gallardo, hummers, m3s, m5s, range rovers, x5s, lincoln navigators etc. They may have their own companies, with their own policies now, but thats the way its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

You just disclose all the details to your insurance company of the said mods.

Youd more than likely have to get an engineers report filled out when going the route of bigger injectors/turbos ect but its not a case of it cant be covered

In all reality even a standard 300zx twin turbo, or 911, or cars like that are pretty uninsurable the normal way.
    Someone ring an insurer, tell them he is 30 odd, 5 years ncb, in a 300zx twin turbo and tell us what the quote is. I had my (then) 54 year old dad refused on a mitsi gto 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

I dunno about uninsurable. A friend has a 911 and it only cost 2000 to insure. No my question really was about these heavily modified cars. Since there no way with out an engineers report to know actually what you are insuring. I can't imagine that everyone has it on company or garage insurance. Maybe they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

That 911 is probably old yes? If it is it'll be on classic insurance.
    Some people with highly modified engines tend not to declare it but if you do declare it the the insurer will usually. as another poster said, want an engineers report or something to say its not going to blow up or anything. Garage insurance / ,motor traders insurance is dead handy beacuse you can usually drive anything on it.
    I have and, have had a few cars which ive been running with them named specially on the insurance but mostly, motor trade insurance means you can drive anything you A: have permission to drive and B: have a licence for. It's impossible to get uless you can prove you're in the motor business but if you can get on it it's dead handy. It usually specifies you neddd to be 21 or over though but beyond that you could be driving a new bugatti Veyron or a ferrari enzo if you could afford it and it wont cost you any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eddie Barzoon

Kersh wrote:
    I have 2 of these , and a porsche 911, ( Stupidly, I buy cars instead of a house)- I am insured to drive any car, as Im on our company policy, (just me and my father on it, he owns the place), i just move my disc from car to car. The only problem is , i have to tax thecars as we dont have garage plates, and its 313 eur for 3 months on any of the cars, so i rotate them every 3 months. Its the 911 at the minute, woohoo.
    Afaik my cousins are the same, they have or have had between them, ferrari 360, lambo gallardo, hummers, m3s, m5s, range rovers, x5s, lincoln navigators etc. They may have their own companies, with their own policies now, but thats the way its done.

Perhaps kersh should start his own"Blow my Trumpet" thread , I've noticed that in most of his posts he allways drops in " I have bla bla bla , my relatives have bla bla bla" ....

Its getting a bit stale now !!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

that does tend to happen a lot yes. i will state that i am not free from mentioning things i have or have done myself but thats been for making a point about insurance, but when people come on saying things in great detail about the whole circle of people they know that have such a thing or whatever it does get annoying. wouldnt mind seeing a blowing your own trunpet thread on here because it could be really entertaining if we all went into it knowing from the outset we had to try our best to boast about everything. im totally serious it would be like a release of tension bt it would get really stupid after ten minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah eddie i have noticed that. i have seen nobody else boast that much.i can boast as id say my families car are worth WAY more then his.but i donot.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well you can insure any car up to 3.0l for 990 with 123.ie so i spose the mods dont matter to them once u have the 4k excess

Con_316 wrote:
    That 911 is probably old yes? If it is it'll be on classic insurance. ...

I don't think so its too new. I'm not certain but I thought a classic has to be 25yrs? Which would be 1980. Even if its 20 that would be '85. His is newer than that. But he does have low mileage. It could even be limited mileage of 4 or 5k. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

drdre wrote:
    yeah eddie i have noticed that. i have seen nobody else boast that much.i can boast as id say my families car are worth WAY more then his.but i donot.:D

i doubt it if his cousins have had ferraris and lambos? doesnt do it in a boasting manner imo maybe people are jealous?

Haha, you guys make me laugh. Do yious not want to know how these sort of cars are insured?? Did someone not ask? Fact of the matter is that some of the best cars in the country are parked outside the window here any day of the week, ( i dont see/talk much with the 2 of them, and I never mention anything else they have) - If you guys dont like cars being mentioned in the motors forum, then maybe you should be in the fashion forum or something. :D :rolleyes:
    As for me, I should really buya house, i would say anyone on here with a house has more than me, but I spend my money on cars/racecars, and this is the motors forum, and posts do come up about supercars/fast cars occasionally.
    Hey Dre, you are allowed mention it if its relevant to the thread.
    But then again, it could just be jealousy, I dont know, and I care even less.

* If i was blowing my own trumpet, i would be mentioning a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

kersh donot worry i was only stating it, i know we are all into cars thats why we are here on the thread.so donot worry take it in one ear and out the other.:D and also i am in NO way jealous as i have also see amazing cars every week and have got to be in them.

anyway we are not here to argue.lets get back to the question asked.:D

I know dre....

Advertisement