Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching laptop between networks

Options
  • 17-12-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

i have a loan of a laptop which is usually used to access the chorus cable internet - can someone explain to me if i can put this on my own network ( wireless or wired ) without screwing up the owners connection when he plugs it back in, in his home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if chorus are like the majority of isps,
    theyll provide a router which stores the settings for the internet.
    the pc will automtically use the setings of whatever network it connects to.

so to answer your uestion,
    assuming chorus provide a router you wont need to change any setings to get onto your own network and no dmamge will be done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Which OS?
    (Presuming XP..)

Firstly, if it's currently set to use DHCP ("Obtain an IP address automatically") you shouldn't require reconfiguration provided your network provides this service also.

If you need to set manually: Try : -> Network Connections -> properties of the card you want to use -> TCP/IP Properties -> Alternate Configuration ?

TBH, just write down whatever settings are currently there so that you can undo any changes...

Advertisement