Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubs n Tiles

Options
  • 17-12-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi all, the tiler put grout around the top of the bath joining to the tiles. Hey presto first person in the bath and I have a beautiful crack all around the top of the bath. I presume this can be filled with silicon if so do i root out the grout first and if so anyone any great ideas as to how to do this.

Cheers
    Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

eddiej wrote:
    Hi all, the tiler put grout around the top of the bath joining to the tiles. Hey presto first person in the bath and I have a beautiful crack all around the top of the bath. I presume this can be filled with silicon if so do i root out the grout first and if so anyone any great ideas as to how to do this.

Cheers
    Eddie

no need to take out the grout - it would drive you made trying and you'd probably damage the tiles the bath or both - silicon is ideal for the job.

its just not as easy as it looks - it can drive you mad sometimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

To do this you need
    • Silicon Sealant
    • Masking tape
    • A grouting Tool
    • Washing up Liquid
    Fill the bath with water before you start - this will make the bath heavy and expose the gap. Mask off parallel lines on the wall and the top of the bath with a gap in between. Apply the sealant, try to make it even and do it in one fluid movement (work from the corners). Next use the grouting tool, plasplug make a set of 3 orange plastic ones. you can buy them in B&Q etc. Apply a good bit of washing up liquid around the end of the tool and drag it along the sealant. Remove the masking tape before the sealant dries up. If it takes a few attempts you can buy a silicone sealant remover and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ive always found a wet, soapy finger is easier to use than a specific tool...
    oh and less is more with silicone, it spreads out a lot as you run your finger over it, its easier to add more than try to take some off

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Thanks lads greatly appreciate the tips especially like the one about filling the bath looks like ill be busy over the xmas hols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi eddiej,

Make sure the silicone you buy is specifically for bathrooms, it has a property that prevents the silicone from turning black over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Does this man never stop Rooferpete sending a reply on Christmas day:D , Happy Christmas Peter hope all went well in the mighty ones house for the Christmas.

I was looking at the array of silcones in the shop I have yet to buy one but plan to do this job soon before 2006 this may sound thick but what exactly am I looking for as there seems to be quite a range and also I suppose i should go for a brand or are the generic ones just as good or did i have too much to eat at Christmas.

Happy 2006

Advertisement