Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Validity Question...

Options
  • 17-12-2005 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im just wondering, if Im getting a car from the UK right, and I insure it under a company in Northern Ireland, does that mean I dont have to VRT when I take here to Ireland? Im half N. Irish if that makes any difference.

Reason is, theres a Golf Im looking at on Ebay and its a UK car, its an 02 and has a very good price. But again, VRT might kill me if I have to get it... So basically, if I get insurance in N.Ireland, will that cover me here and also mean I dont have to pay VRT?

Cheers,
    x.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I believe you need an address in the north of which you have to be there at least 6 months of every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

hmm, yeah thatd tie in with the whole vrt thing.

my dad lives in n.ire, so if he insured it and put me as a named driver, thatd cover it yeah?

thanks for the help draffodx/lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

hhhmmm not sure, all i know is that my cousin bought a northern reg car and he put the reg down to his girlfrinds mothers address which is in the north, so he got insured in the north and didnt have to pay vrt, he had no problems until a garda checkpoint stopped him and he showed an irish licence, he had some trouble about having so long to vrt the car or something but i think he just got an eu licence and he hasnt had any trouble since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You only have to pay VRT when you register the vehicle in this country. However, it is illegal for an Irish person to drive a foreign registered car in this country. Ordinarily you have three days from the import date to register it. So if you are going to use it and drive using an Irish licence you will eventually get caught. Then again you may not. You will also need to check if your U.K. insurance will cover you while driving in the Republic and to what extent.

Advertisement