Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling your fonts

Options
  • 17-12-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone sell their fonts on websites? I'm considering doing it in the new year.

I haven't perfected my fonts to include all relevant blips and blops above the e and u letters so I presume I'll need to do that. What else do you recommend I do? Of course I'll speak with the websites that I'm going to put them out on first though.

I'm going to try www.myfonts.com for starters. Anyone have other/better links?

Also, if you do sell your fonts online - got any tips for a budding fontographer?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

how do you go about making fonts? cos we have designed a font for m=our band to make it easier for making posters etc... but we juat have it all saved as a photoshop file.. how would i go about designing each letter to compile it as a font?

sorry if im hyjacking the thread..i will delete this if ya want..
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No problem man.

Personally I start out by getting a grid on Illustrator and defining heights using guides from there. Then I just create each letter wrt the guide. Iirc (as I haven't done it in a few months) the thickness of the line of each letter has to be a complete vector - ie not just a curved line with a stroke but an enclosed line. In other words an I would not be a straight vertical line but a vertical rectangle. At least that's how I do it. When I started out learning fonts there isn't that much good advice on the net so I may be going about it in an arduous fashion btw.

And from there I slice up each letter into an individual illustrator file and import it into 'fontographer' (a mac proggy, but I'm sure it's similar for pc proggys). Then just export into a font file. [there are of course more steps like kerning which shifts each letter closer to other letters depending on the letter but the previous is the basics].

ehh, reading back on that, it doesn't make sense, let me know if you need any elaboration.

However, to make your life easier and quicker you may want to try making the fonts on Illustrator instead of Photoshop and doing a (not so quiick) import to a font program and exporting it to a font file. If you are doing loads of changes it will be worth it in the long run.

Advertisement