Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob

Options
  • 17-12-2005 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I want to start on the whole art scene on pc.What advice would people give?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Get Photoshop!

What do you want to know?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Get Photoshop ..by any means. Or, legally free: the Gimp (With possible addition of Gimshop).
    Be obnoxious. It's expected.
    Sleep around. It's expected.
    Develop an unhealthy habit (Sex,drugs,drink,etc.). It's fun.

Seriously though... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I have paint shop pro 7. It is nothing compared to photoshop though. How did all of you start? i can't afford to pay 500€ for photoshop. IS gimp any good?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I started on MSPaint :)

I used psp7 up until recently, I use psp9 now. I still don't really like photoshop, but it's certianly nifty for text manipulation (at least). I just don't like the interface.

I can't download brushes and things for psp7. I can't unzip them and things. How do i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Phat Chance

Unzipping? Dead easy if you've got WinZip or WinRAR (the latter is my preferred option). You should even be able to do it without, I think XP carries something like that as standard.

Find your brushes folder in the PaintShop Pro folder. Open it. In another window have the zipped file. Right click, and 'Extract All' to the folder that the zipped file is already in. Then just drag them over to the brushes folder, in the other window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

CuLT wrote:
    I just don't like the interface.
    Me neither... I've been using PSP since version 3.x or something... a long time anyway... the interface has kept reasonably consistant across versions, so it's what I find most familiar.
    I've tried photoshop a few times, but I've yet to find anything I want to do in Photoshop that I can't do faster in PSP (faster for me anyway, since I know it well enough)
    I'm the same with TheGimp, I just can't get my teeth into it knowing I'd be faster doing it in PSP with as-good-as or better results.
    It is nothing compared to photoshop though.
    How come? What specific feature are you missing?

What ever program you use - if you don't take the time to learn it (and work on your own skill in general), you'll produce mostly crap anyway... switching to photoshop isn't going to magically make your output any better. (unless you're switching from Mspaint or DOS-CGA_doodle 5.1 :v: )

Well, i want to cut pictures out of other pictures.in PSP i have to do it manually.In PS i can just click and all the background is taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Get macromedia fireworks........ well i use that.

Na get the latest PS.. and keep trying new things.

i can't afford the latest photoshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

(mods if you have to delete this for legal reasons feel free, (not that u need my permission ) i just thought it might spark some interesting debate)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

frodo_dcu wrote:
    (mods if you have to delete this for legal reasons feel free, (not that u need my permission ) i just thought it might spark some interesting debate)
    Newbie or no newbie, posting specific information on how to obtain illegal software is a no-no. Bye!

Advertisement