Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a sound card and speakers please

Options
  • 17-12-2005 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I use my pc to watch movies and listen to music.
    I would like to get a soundcard and speakers to enhance this experience :)
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

dunno. high enough if i think it's worth it

Your best thing to do if you have a high budget is to buy a dedicated AV amp & surround system (if you watch more movies then listen to music).
    If music is your priority, a good stereo amp and pair of speakers will result in excellent music quality and decent enough movie experience.

So if your budget is more than €400, go this route.

useful advice. nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would have to 100% reccomend you the logitech Z5500!
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486
    I have the Z680s, they're the exact same apart from appearance and they are amazing. Got them on Amazon for bout €350 two years ago and they are really amazing. Pc, Xbox, anything - just deadly sound and all adjustable so you don't have to annoy the neighbours all the time! Just saw now they have a wireless set too, fairly handy but prob not much of an issue for pc speakers.
    I've never heard anything better :D

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll get that if I decide to get pc speakers and not hi fi ones. Most sources I've looked at say pc speakers don't compare at all to the hi fi setup commited suggested, but reviews of those specific ones say they actually do. I'm also thinking hi-fi *might* be overkill when the source is mp3s rather than cds. Do you play music on yours much btw? Are you happy with your sound card?

from one of the reviews on amazon : "If you live in a flat and not in basement, you neighbours will have serious complaints" lol

I play music on mine almost 24/7. The difference when you fist get them is amazing. I only use the onboard sound on my mobo, it's a creative chip and everything sounds fine. Any of the Audigy series cards should do you fine also. The thing about the neighbours is true though, I have the sub under a desk and with the volume on half I can knock pictures off of my sister's wall two rooms away:D For normal listening I turn the bass down quite low but it's still very audible.

pwd wrote:
    Thanks. I'll get that if I decide to get pc speakers and not hi fi ones. Most sources I've looked at say pc speakers don't compare at all to the hi fi setup commited suggested, but reviews of those specific ones say they actually do. I'm also thinking hi-fi *might* be overkill when the source is mp3s rather than cds. Do you play music on yours much btw? Are you happy with your sound card?

from one of the reviews on amazon : "If you live in a flat and not in basement, you neighbours will have serious complaints" lol
    Hifi is never overkill. Buying a decent set of separates will result in a system that'll last you for years. I've heard expensive PC speaker sets and they really cant compare to a hifi system.
    MP3s, if coded at a high bitrate & played through a decent sound card like the M-audio audiophile 2496 or the EMU0404 will sound lovely through a hifi.
    Spending €350 is overkill on PC speakers imho and quite silly.
    At the end of the day, it's up to you.

how high is high? my mp3s are 128kbps typically. Any suggestions on a stereo amp and speakers? :)
    The e-mu 0404 looks fantastic for music. You turn it off for watching movies, is that right?

128kbps is pretty awful to be honest - it'll still be better than a PC speaker set up but deffo think about reencoding at higher bit rate.
    You can use it for watching movies too of course, but it would be in stereo. I watch all my movies in stereo and if you have your room set up fine the imaging is pretty good.

Stereo amp & speakers is generally personal preference. How much do you have to spend?

If you have CDs, I'd definately recommend getting a CD player - I plugged back in my CD player the other day after a couple of months out of use, and its amazing how much better CDs sound! Also if you have a dedicated mp3 player, these are generally better than a PC source imho.

• Advertisement

I'll do that. I have musicmatch jukebox which seems to allow 320kbps encoding.
    Don't know how much I want to spend, tbh. Value for money is certainly a factor, but I'd rather get an amp I was really happy with and get speakers later (I have old hi fi speakers somewhere in the meantime). I don't need something that can play really really loud, just because I don't think I'll get much oppurtunity to play music really loud without being inconsiderate. I put off getting a cd player until later anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

commited wrote:
    128kbps is pretty awful to be honest
    bitrate doesn't matter that much anymore!! it's how you rip them!!

The X-Fi will rip @ 128kbps with serious quality!
    About the same as 320kbps sounds without the X-Fi!

*just a small point of information*:D

How does that work?

pwd wrote:
    I'll do that. I have musicmatch jukebox which seems to allow 320kbps encoding.
    Don't know how much I want to spend, tbh. Value for money is certainly a factor, but I'd rather get an amp I was really happy with and get speakers later (I have old hi fi speakers somewhere in the meantime). I don't need something that can play really really loud, just because I don't think I'll get much oppurtunity to play music really loud without being inconsiderate. I put off getting a cd player until later anyways
    Well there is a little gem of an amp which is ridiculously cheap.
    It's a little sensation that's been shocking the hifi world.
    The only disadvantage is that it only has one input and it needs resonably efficient speakers.
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_morsiani_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

I bought a few of these units and they really are stunning! The detail is amazing, and with the right speakers it'll go plenty loud enough!

less than €50 incl delivery: http://cgi.ebay.ie/SONIC-IMPACT-AMPLIFIER-T-AMP-5066-TRIPATH-PORTABLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ5844072406QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's the only amp I'd ever recommend without a listening test - it's also the only bit of hifi ive bought without audition! You'll need to pick up a 12v DC adapter.

There is a huge difference in sound and quality between various speakers.
    www.cloneyaudio.com are based in blackrock and offer a fairly decent range of lower priced speakers. When you get your little t-amp, bring it with you to the shop and ask to demo a few speakers with it.. some ideas:

B&W DM303 €289.00 (88db)
    B&W DM600 S3 €319.00 (88db)
    B&W DM601 S3 €399.00 (88db)
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00 (90dB)
    System Audio SA 505 €299.00 (88db)

They often also have some used stuff available too.

If you can get up north for some demo'ing, check out:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=29&ProductID=71
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=29&ProductID=382
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=88
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=85
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=86

Only go for floorstanders iif your room is over 4m x 4m. Dont buy based on looks - the sound is far more important! If you go for standmount speakers, make sure you pick up some speaker stands for them. I have the B&W 602's and I'm more than happy with them.
    The dB rating is the "efficiency" of the speakers - the higher the number, the louder the speaker is for the same input. 88 is really the minimum for the t-amp.

Hope all that helps, and any more questions just ask!

Doc_Savage wrote:
    bitrate doesn't matter that much anymore!! it's how you rip them!!

The X-Fi will rip @ 128kbps with serious quality!
    About the same as 320kbps sounds without the X-Fi!

*just a small point of information*:D
    How does it make a difference when its 101010101010110101 from the CD rom drive being converted by whatever software you use. I'd say your ripping PROGRAM makes more of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

You aint used an X-FI yet have you!! Its insane! Resamples everything amazing!!!

Explain more please :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Lol, the X-Fi and creative's MP3 hyper quality propaganda are hilarious. The way that it rips "amazing"ly, is by:

1. Resample to 48 khz (Smacks head at sheer stupidity)
    2. Use dynamic compressor filter to ruin the sound.
    3. Up the lows and the highs to ruin the sound.
    4. Make up retarded name like "Crystalliser" and make people think that it can improve perfect CD Quality music.
    5. ????
    6. Profit!!!

My god I hate creative so much since their whole Crystalliser MP3 thing.

If you want good quality MP3s, you use EAC with lame on the -V0 setting. End of.

Yeah reviews are nice and all, but they're both breathless, omgz we luv j00 creative plz have our babies pieces of junk.

It's physically impossible for creative's magic "crystalliser" to make a 128 kbps MP3 sound better than a 320kbps lame rip.

I'm not saying that it's a bad card, I'd love one. It'd own my Audigy Value all over the place. Just saying that the whole crystalliser thing is a crock of ****. LAME = ultimate quality.

• Advertisement

Not in my experience!! I think the extreme music is the best thing ever to hit PC Audio!! Have you got one!

No, I haven't. I just know for a fact that creative are really bending the truth with their advertising for the crystalliser. They claim to be able to make a CD sound better than the original recording. LOL.

Applying lots of filters without asking /= Improving sound quality.

If I wanted to blast loads of filters onto my MP3s I'd just turn on some of foobar's options to do so.

Well Id reccomed ya try one before criticising one man! Seriously.

Is EAC better than CDex?

That's a huge help commited, thank you very much. You really know your stuff!
    I'll get the e-mu soundcard and the t-amp. My old speakers were quite good, and compare pretty well to the ones you linked to I think, so I might just use them. (3-way 8 ohm phillips floorstanding ones). Have a room here that is big enough for them, although I will be moving soon. (got them + a display model midi system for 150 punts over 10 years ago).

Phillips speakers are awful in my experience, just like sony speakers.
    How do you know they "compare well"? With things like hifi, you cant just look at specs or even the "look" of them and decide that they are decent.
    If you want to do it properly, buy new speakers - if you want to do it on the cheap, and fundamentally waste the potential of the emu and t-amp then use the phillips speakers :)

pwd, to be honest if you're only listening to 128 kbps MP3s, they'd sound better on cheap headphones.

If the bitrate is that low (eg. downloaded music, often ripped by muppets with crap programs), I think that it sounds better on crap equipment.

I used to have a fair few 128kbps tracks on my mp3 player with the super crap creative headphones that come with it. They sounded awful, but when I moved up to a nice pair of sennheisers I couldn't stand to listen to those tracks anymore. The high quality headphones just showed up the imperfections so muc more clearly than the cheapos did. Replaced the crap 128k tracks with decent rips and all was well again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi-part2.html

Crystalliser is a fancy EQ in effect. Nothing more. It not making the CD more accurate its simply "colouring" the sound, so that some the of time, maybe even most of the time, it will sound better to the average ear. Average being those people who don't take their SQ too seriously. Non audiophiles etc. (Its like having artifically flavoured food over organic stuff). Purists will hate it because its less accurate and further away from what the original CD sounded like. However if you're not bothered by that you'll probably like it. Doesn't work with all tracks though.

Its a bit like the huge amounts of bass people listen to these days, with little or no mid range. Huge subwoofers and tweeters. Your missing half the music. But if you are used to listening to dire 128k mp3's and the usual dire earphones that come with CD's and iPods you'll probably think its fantastic.

Don't even bother arguing about 128kbps vs 320kps. If they can't hear how bad that sounds, they'll never hear it.

Woo! Someone who agrees with me and realises that a compressor and an EQ don't mean a quality improvement.

• Advertisement

I dont really care bout tech specifics though dude Im talking real world results man!

Advertisement