Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend me a sound card and speakers please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I dont really care bout tech specifics though dude Im talking real world results man!

You might like a Big Mac but that doesn't mean its a good thing or real food. ;)

If you're happy with it great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

ya I'll replace them with 320 kbps ones. I already have software that can do that.
    I'll check out speakers in that place in blackrock also. The ones I have are on permanent loan to someone at the mo anyways and they'll be disappointed if I take them back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Heh heh Im more than impressed!
    Seriously I know the tech of ot doesnt add up but I wouldnt go so far as to put it down until you have heard it IRL

Heh heh Im more than impressed!
    Seriously I know the tech of ot doesnt add up but I wouldnt go so far as to put it down until you have heard it IRL

Two words for you. Soylent Green ;)

Don't accept what your given, until you check it out for yourself. You might find what you think is great is very artificial. Bit like a big Mac. Once you realise how bad it is, despite the taste, and acquire the taste for natural food, you won't go back. (unless you are drunk and got the munchies). I'm not knocking what you like MOR. To be honest if you aren't listening through good headphones, speakers and have a good source material then you might aswell stick to what you like. I know my own music gear isn't great but I enjoy my music regardless. A while back I was listening to my music on a CD portable, and my MP3's and other people iPods wondering why I didn't really like the music that much any more. Started doing some research and realised I was listening to poor SQ. Made some changed to improve the SQ and I enjoy it a lot more now. One thing I've adjust to is reducing the amount of bass and EQ I use.

Anyway if you are really into you music start reading some HiFi sites like Head-Fi. You'll dig out what cheap gear sounds decent without spending a fortune. With a sound card you should be looking for a decent DAC. The X-Fi! is a good card, but for the reasons your giving. I'll leave it at that.

Heh O had a feeling ya though that! Im an audiophile, listen thru either Sen HD280's or through Logitech Z5500 speakers. And moving from the audigy2zs to these I saw a huge inmprovement, If I didnr I culd have just brought it back:v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You think listening through Z5500 is "audiophile" (hate that word)?
    They're surround PC speakers made for games & movies not music..
    They wont touch even an entry level amp & speaker pair..
    Basically - if you want quality, dont really go near MP3s ;)

commited wrote:
    You think listening through Z5500 is "audiophile" (hate that word)?
    They're surround PC speakers made for games & movies not music..
    They wont touch even an entry level amp & speaker pair..
    Basically - if you want quality, dont really go near MP3s ;)

THX Certiied compares to a seperates system that cost 1750thats downstairs (Not Mine)

EDIT: And i despise that word too!!

Sorry, but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you hear no difference, then yer lucky - but I've heard some very expensive logitechs (the 5500s predecessors apparently) and I wasnt really impressed.
    My system would knock socks off it, with Mp3s or CDs.
    THX has nothing to do with music, thus means nothing.

commited wrote:
    Sorry, but AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you hear no difference, then yer lucky - but I've heard some very expensive logitechs (the 5500s predecessors apparently) and I wasnt really impressed.
    My system would knock socks off it, with Mp3s or CDs.
    THX has nothing to do with music, thus means nothing.
    But what is your system... and how much!

and as an aside I think that the fact this was posted in this forum shows that he was looking for a PC system not nessesarily a mondo expensive system

• Advertisement

Well if we're talking MP3s - €15 Creative PCI 128 sound card without any of that surround crap!, €50 t-amp, €250 speakers (I got em second hand & discounted).. so €315...

My system
    Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player
    Arcam Alpha 8R amp (currently pushed into service in my fathers system as his meridians are getting serviced)
    Sonic Impact t-amp (currently being used)
    B&W 602 speakers
    and then i've got a sony MD deck & a NAD tuner. Bought most of it when I was 16 (except the t-amp which was only released this year) and it has kept me more than happy since then!

Edit: reply to second post - He was looking for a system to be used with his PC - doesnt mean that a PC system is his best option

But what is your system... and how much!

Money doesn't always equal quality. What the best sounding iPod. The cheapest one. The Shuffle. :eek:

Money doesn't always equal quality. What the best sounding iPod. The cheapest one. The Shuffle. :eek:
    Of course - my €50 t-amp is giving many amps 100times that price a run for their money from what I've read. compares favourably to the meridian set up we have downstairs and that would cost a fair bit more than 100 times it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

this all really depends on wether the OP wants to mostly use this setup for his pc or for music. If he is listening to 128 mp3's + movies etc id say go with a cheap pc setup tbh.

I wasn't specifically looking for a pc system, just for advice on the best option.

I've already ordered the t-amp and the e-mu 0404. Although the emu is out-of-stock in dolphin music, which is a pain because they didn't indicate that when I placed the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi-part2.html

Crystalliser is a fancy EQ in effect. Nothing more. It not making the CD more accurate its simply "colouring" the sound, so that some the of time, maybe even most of the time, it will sound better to the average ear. Average being those people who don't take their SQ too seriously. Non audiophiles etc. (Its like having artifically flavoured food over organic stuff). Purists will hate it because its less accurate and further away from what the original CD sounded like. However if you're not bothered by that you'll probably like it. Doesn't work with all tracks though.

Its a bit like the huge amounts of bass people listen to these days, with little or no mid range. Huge subwoofers and tweeters. Your missing half the music. But if you are used to listening to dire 128k mp3's and the usual dire earphones that come with CD's and iPods you'll probably think its fantastic.

Don't even bother arguing about 128kbps vs 320kps. If they can't hear how bad that sounds, they'll never hear it.

Good post. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Heh O had a feeling ya though that! Im an audiophile, listen thru either Sen HD280's or through Logitech Z5500 speakers. And moving from the audigy2zs to these I saw a huge inmprovement, If I didnr I culd have just brought it back:v:

How do you find the z5500s cause im looking to pick up a set for christmas, any problems or quirks?

Just a thought.

HiFi Speakers aren't usually shielded for PC use. So don't leave you USB drive or iPod on or infront of them. PC speakers usually are.

the speakers are spread widely across the room.
    even with onboard soundcard and old speakers that amp makes a huge difference. Also the difference between low bitrate mp3s and cds is quite apparent using it too.
    Going to be waiting for my soundcard I think. I dislike it when sites do not indictae they are out of stock of an item until after you place an order.

You got the t-amp then?
    I was quite impressed too - bit of a bargain :) It's replaced my €500 amp lol

• Advertisement

Yes I did :). It was delievered surprisingly promptly too.

commited wrote:
    Well there is a little gem of an amp which is ridiculously cheap.
    It's a little sensation that's been shocking the hifi world.
    The only disadvantage is that it only has one input and it needs resonably efficient speakers.
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_morsiani_e.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/tripath_amps_e.html

I bought a few of these units and they really are stunning! The detail is amazing, and with the right speakers it'll go plenty loud enough!

less than €50 incl delivery: http://cgi.ebay.ie/SONIC-IMPACT-AMPLIFIER-T-AMP-5066-TRIPATH-PORTABLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ5844072406QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's the only amp I'd ever recommend without a listening test - it's also the only bit of hifi ive bought without audition! You'll need to pick up a 12v DC adapter.

There is a huge difference in sound and quality between various speakers.
    www.cloneyaudio.com are based in blackrock and offer a fairly decent range of lower priced speakers. When you get your little t-amp, bring it with you to the shop and ask to demo a few speakers with it.. some ideas:

B&W DM303 €289.00 (88db)
    B&W DM600 S3 €319.00 (88db)
    B&W DM601 S3 €399.00 (88db)
    B&W DM602 S3 €479.00 (90dB)
    System Audio SA 505 €299.00 (88db)

They often also have some used stuff available too.

If you can get up north for some demo'ing, check out:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=29&ProductID=71
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=29&ProductID=382
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=88
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=85
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=32&ProductID=86

Only go for floorstanders iif your room is over 4m x 4m. Dont buy based on looks - the sound is far more important! If you go for standmount speakers, make sure you pick up some speaker stands for them. I have the B&W 602's and I'm more than happy with them.
    The dB rating is the "efficiency" of the speakers - the higher the number, the louder the speaker is for the same input. 88 is really the minimum for the t-amp.

Hope all that helps, and any more questions just ask!

what cd player would u recommend as input for the t-amp??? I thinking of getting 1 and some decent speakers for cd's? Also would decent mp3's outputted from a pc sound good on it??

The t-amp is the only thing I like to recommend without listening to it as it's a genuine bargain.
    CD players are mostly down to personal preference. You should really go up to belfast to richersounds and have a listen, or into cloney audio and have a listen..
    If I had to buy blind - I've always liked Arcam stuff - the old 7se is what I have, and it can be had from ebay for about £100 which is ridiculously cheap.
    Speaker wise, make sure you get a pair with efficiency (aka sensitivity) of over 88dB, ideally over 90dB. Speakers are very much down to personal preference also, I like B&W, System Audio & a few Kef models.

We're so badly serviced for hifi in Ireland its sad, so if you can - go to the Uk and listen/buy your stuff there - flights cost next to nothing these days!

As for the mp3s - I'm listening to mp3s through my TERRIBLE laptop onboard sound and it sounds good, alot better than pc speaker :) Remember the t-amp has only one input, so you either have to switch the cable everytime you want to switch from CD to pc etc, but its no great hassle!

Any more questions, just ask :)

commited wrote:
    The t-amp is the only thing I like to recommend without listening to it as it's a genuine bargain.
    CD players are mostly down to personal preference. You should really go up to belfast to richersounds and have a listen, or into cloney audio and have a listen..
    If I had to buy blind - I've always liked Arcam stuff - the old 7se is what I have, and it can be had from ebay for about £100 which is ridiculously cheap.
    Speaker wise, make sure you get a pair with efficiency (aka sensitivity) of over 88dB, ideally over 90dB. Speakers are very much down to personal preference also, I like B&W, System Audio & a few Kef models.

We're so badly serviced for hifi in Ireland its sad, so if you can - go to the Uk and listen/buy your stuff there - flights cost next to nothing these days!

As for the mp3s - I'm listening to mp3s through my TERRIBLE laptop onboard sound and it sounds good, alot better than pc speaker :) Remember the t-amp has only one input, so you either have to switch the cable everytime you want to switch from CD to pc etc, but its no great hassle!

Any more questions, just ask :)

thanks mate, i think i will defo get a t-amp, it is ridicoulsly cheap, so you defo wouldnt recommend the likes of stuff like sony cdplayers?? What features do u need on cd players, you see stuff like 10bit d/a converter blah blah in them, anything u specifically NEED for very decent audio, also whats your views on SACD's and dvd-audio?? any good?

do you have a link for an appropriate power supply for the amp, by any chance? I thought the universal power adapter for my mp3 player would work but it is too small. Cheers :)

gline,
    Sonys stuff is generally far inferior to what other companys are offering at any price point. Unless you're picking it up at a big discount, I wouldnt bother.
    As for the DAC info etc - different people like different sounds etc. Good brands to demo are Marantz/Arcam/NAD/Cambridge Audio.
    SACD/DVD-A: I'm a fan of stereo - I've tested both DVD-A and SACD and wasnt really that impressed. They dont really add alot to the stereo experience! If you're short of cash - mp3 players arent the worst sources to use (i find them better than pc anyway). Good ol' Cd's are for me :)

Another option is to buy a cheapish CD player now and add an external DAC at a later stage. I'm thinking of taking a plunge and buying this: http://www.diyparadise.com/dackit/1545bdackit.html - $150 for a fully assembled, tested&delivered non oversampling dac is fantastic value - I have a 1543 based external dac at the moment which I just bought as a present for my father, and the improvement is quite astonishing. The 1545 is meant to be even better so I might just go mad and order it!

PWD,
    if you have eircom broadband - the netopia modem adapter works :P

If not - any DC adapter you buy in a shop should do the job - just make sure its more than 1000mA.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32752&TabID=1&WorldID=&doy=25m12 that'll work too :)

If either of you want anymore info PM me for my MSN addy :)

Thanks again committed.
    Adaptor for my maxtor external hard drive works well too, which is 3A/12V. Googling suggests this is the best spec for it (and it sounds better than batteries I think) but it's hard to find another like it in town (or online). Tried Maplin, Sony, Peats, DID, RTV. 1.25A ones are available. Has anyone used the amp with a 1.25A (or thereabouts) adaptor by any chance?

I'm using 12V 1.2A and it's fine :)

A point to note is that these amps sing with 13.2 or 13.8V. Fantastic apparently. I'm going to be running 2 of these bi-amped with a pre-amp, so 5A should be plenty :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=231&TabID=1&C=SEO&U=StaticPages&doy=search&MenuName=13%B78V%20REGULATED%20MAINS%20POWER%20UNITS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

mt fav sound config, which I have myself is the Creative X-Fi Fatal!ty fps, with the creative S750 speakers, blows me away no matter what I listen to.

• Advertisement

The amp takes a 2.1mm X 5.5mm circular plug (power tip e) with the centre positive.
    To connect it to the 13.8V psu you need one of these and a DC output lead.

To connect the emu sound card to the amp you need an adaptor that connects two female 1/4" mono plugs to a 1/8" stereo plug. This is hard to find. So far I've only found it on the e-mu site which only posts to USA or Canada.

Advertisement