Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs Sao Paolo??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Hard Luck Liverpool ... hopefully it will not affect their current premiership run .. it'd be nice if arsenal can take some points off chelsea today .. keep it a little more tight at the top ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, Liverpool tried, thats for sure and deserved at least one or more goals in this game. Sao Paulo played cannily and managed to unlock the Liverpool defence and win by the solitary goal. But overall, Liverpool will feel hard done by.

The line-out was unusual as Benitez reverted to a 4-2-3-1 formation and picked players which at times have been "light" for Liverpool:

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Hyypia - Warnock
    --- Sissoko
    Alonso
    Gerrard ---- Garcia
    Kewell
    Morientes

As Sao Paulo were playing 3-5-2, not with 3 centre-backs ala Liverpool in the 1990's but with only one centre-half style of defender and two pacey full-backs, Benitez opted for a single striker and played Morientes up-front, with Garcia playing off him and roaming. I was surprised not by the structure of this formation but by the personnel. I would not have played Kewell, Garcia and Morientes at the same time, as to me these 3 players are too lightweight - they try hard but percentage wise a lot of what they try doesnt come off.

Also, many were expecting to see what the height of Crouch would have done against this team, or the pace of Cisse, or even the pace of Riise, but none of these were really tried and they could have been used in a 4-2-3-1 formation. If anything, Morientes is the weakest option we have to play that front role, and I was very surprised that Benitez left it until near the end before taking Morientes off.

We all know Morientes' failings, not quick enough reaction time nor pace. He nearly scored early on and how different the game may have been if he had. But on all occasions he just wasnt quick enough. Garcia made the most of his chances, but in all honesty, most of Liverpool's chances were half-chances that nearly went in, rather than clear-cut. Gerrard was guilty of one miss from the edge of the box and the Brazillian keeper was good. But with some better play by Liverpool, and probably with some better use of Liverpool's personnel that ws available, this was a game that Liverpool could have and should have won.

Warnock was given a chance to play and did ok, but not outstanding. He was on a par with Finnan though so did his job, but unlike say Riise at left-back doesnt do much in terms of going forward. He is probably safer at the back, although the goal if there was a fault would have to be shared between him and Hyypia, who both failed to pick up the running midfielder. The Brazillian found himself in space and with the ball and easily scored.

After that though, and especially in the 2nd half, I was dissapointed in Sao Paulo. They went in defensive mode, and although looked for the odd half-chance, it was a case of Liverpool keeping the ball and probing and creating chance after chance. Their defenders did quite well in the air I thought and the pattern of close chances, although half-chances, continued for much of the 2nd half.

It looked as if Benitez was hoping that something would go in, but the pattern was set. Why he didnt take Kewell off I dont know and Morientes. I dont think that Gerrard was happy with the formation either. The 4-4-2 that has been bringing them success of late may have been more to his liking, but I dont think he relishes playing with the likes of Morientes, Garcia and Kewell.

If Benitez needs any evidence that his "chosen ones" of Kewell, Garcia and Morientes just cant cut it then this was another example. That may be a bit harsh on Kewell who did better than he has done in the past, and these players in their own way can play at times Garcia has less failings than the other two and was unlucky with his efforts not to get on the score sheet, but his habit of giving the ball away cheaply continues.

Liverpool can write this off as an experience. If there is a game to lose it was this one, and now, back o the bread and butter of the league and FA Cup.

redspider

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

that was a load of toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

It was a win-win situation.

Lose and it was only a micky mouse competition, on the other side you can never be disappointed lifting silverware.

Lets just hope the league form isn't upset by the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I didn't see the game, was there any injury to Crouch? You'd think he would have kept his place after scoring two in the last game, to let him keep up his momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crouch was fine, Rafa made 5 outfield changes so everyone (bar Dudek) started in one of the games (?). I guess to be picky starting Crouchino and Cisse might have made more sense but with Liverpool peppering the San Paulo goal Rafa must have felt something would go in so why bother changing things until late?

I dont think the loss with stick in the teams mind any longer than mine, Business as usual against Newcastle (Boomsong and co will need a seasons worth of luck!).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

seems like they were unlucky, well done liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as much as i think kewell can be a great player for us and he did play well today, he just doesnt seem committeed for some reason and every time he goes down i just wait for that "sub me" look to the bench. i would like to see him get a run with crouchy his target man but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

unlucky, no where near offside, but it was not as if liverpool fans thought they were gonna win or anything!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Good performance. Thought we were the better team in an Ireland chasing the lead from Germany / Spain kind of way (not exactly but we were being allowed to attack while they just soaked it up). Plenty of chances, Garcia should have gotten one or two and didn't, which is disappointing.

The subs should have came on earlier. Not sure who would have been better out of Crouch and Cisse but I think they should have been brought on at the same time as Pongolle and Riise, and 5 or 10 mins earleir.

Think that's only the 2nd or 3rd time I can remember Kewell playing 90 minutes. The most he's played in the league this season is 81mins and 75 mins, he's nearing full fitness and starting to show a bit of promise.

The clean sheets had to go eventually, I was hoping for a better reaction once it did go i.e. a goal or two, but it wasn't to be. Rafa looked like he was barely holding it together when being interviewed after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

p.pete wrote:
    Good performance. Thought we were the better team in an Ireland chasing the lead from Germany / Spain kind of way (not exactly but we were being allowed to attack while they just soaked it up).

ha ha, perfect way to sum it up!

Advertisement