Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need get some teeth capped

• 17-12-2005 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I was assaulted last night, and some of my teeth got broken. I need to get them capped, but I'm confused as to the price.

On one hand, I have 3 people seperately telling me it costs about 90 or 100 euro. On another I have several people telling me it will cost about 800.

How much should I be paying? Do Caps last a lifetime? I have pretty decent teeth and so have never really gotten fillings or dental work done in the past apart from orthodontics so I haven't a clue what they involve other then replacing sections of a damaged tooth.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sorry to hear about the assault man :(
    I'm not sure how much caps would cost, but you should be able to get money back from the cost through PRSI... so be sure to ask about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Sorry to hear about this, nasty thing to have happen to you

Pretty sure it will cost about 6-800 per tooth.

This will be probably be recoverable if you have health insurance as this could be considered unforseen damage as opposed to normal wear and tear or neglect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

There's a bit of confusion here if you need caps which is where they fill in/ mold a new bit onto your tooth they'll cost about €100 and if you need crowns where they make a whole new tooth and attach it to the remains of the old one it'll cost about €600 per tooth.
    hth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Go abroad to have it done, you'll save yourself a fortune. Budapest is one place afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a bit of confusion here if you need caps which is where they fill in/ mold a new bit onto your tooth they'll cost about €100 and if you need crowns where they make a whole new tooth and attach it to the remains of the old one it'll cost about €600 per tooth.
    hth

Most noticably half my front tooth was broken off, so its the more advanced procedure there I would be after unfortunately.

Going abroad not an option. Tooth killing me with sensitivity, enamel totally broken away, just pulp cavity and nerves :( Have to get this done monday morning.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Good luck man. I feel for you. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

hth

A cap is a lay term for a crown, an inlay is what you're refering to.

Crowns cost a lot, but get to a dentist in case you need a root treatment and also because the dentist can make a temporary crown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Saw you thread in AH. I too lost half my front tooth. Got it capped, polished and 2 fillings all for about €100 after claiming on PRSI. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Avoid polishing until the sensitivity dies down. Also avoid polishing unless you have a pretty cluey dentist. I don't know why but my dentist doesn't like polishing, she says it causes damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i had to get my front tooth capped about 18 months ago t too i had broken half of the tooth and they had to do a root canal and then put the crown on. it wasnt a nice procedure took about 4 visits to the dentist for me. they put a temp cap on it after each visit which kept falling off..... very annoying...
    anyways cost about 900 euro when it was all said and done. claimed most of it back....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ah, jeesh. That's a run of tough luck MI.

I fcuking hate the b4st4rd dentit (I meant that sp). If you don't pay PRSI or don't have dental insurance, it's going to cost a bomb. Don't suppose there's any chance of catching the assailants and getting them to pay? Probably not. I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Hi all, Lots of people get confused about a capping there teeth. I cap is not a dental term really and it is confusing as some patients think filings are caps and others think caps are crowns.
    When you break your teeth like that several things can happen.
    1. If Its no to badly damaged and the nerve is still alive you can get a white filling that sticks to the tooth that left. Often it can look like loads of tooth is missing when really its not too bad.
    2. The nerve is dead/exposed - you need a root canal treatment and then a filling (ok for front teeth with little damage never for back teeth) or a crown.
    3, The tooth has very little left above the gum so you need a crown or a root canal and crown. A crown covers 360 degrees of the prepared tooth stump and is way more expensive than a filling but if done properly can last a lot longer and look a lot more realistic. Sometimes if is really bad you need a post put in the root of the tooth to hold in the crown.
    4. If the tooth is absoutly bunched then it should be extracted and replaced with (from cheapest to most expensive and also worst to best)
    a. Denture acrylic (avoid at all costs)
    b. Denture metal and acrylic
    c. Resin bonded bridge/sticky bridge
    d. Conventional bridge
    e. Implant (best option and will save you money in the long term).

So forget about getting anything capped cause when you are compairing price and time you need to compare like with like. Good luck with the treatment. Damaging you front teeth can be really upsetting and embarrasing but take you time getting it fixed and get quality dentistry done no matter where you chose to have it done. If indicated try get the implant if you can as its maintanence cost a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

get them through the law, ud want to be sueing them for 10000+ euros. when u take into account the replacement or repair of three teeth properly and taking into account maintainence over a lifetime u would easily surpass 10000 euros over a lifetime.sad but true:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

lomb wrote:
    get them through the law, ud want to be sueing them for 10000+ euros.

i agree, i was assaulted when i was 12, got three knocked out, but managed to save two of them. i got some cash when i was 18 fromn the government to get a crown. however, i'd be very surprised if they gave you €10,000, considering they only gave me £4,000, and like you i'll have to get my crown corrected every couple of years.

Advertisement