Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless modem router b - can't connect with laptop g card

• 18-12-2005 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

hi everyone:

heres the situation:

i am currently at my bro's place in uk and he has a modem router 802.11b (medion - conexant chipset).

before, never had any problem with my old laptop with a 802.11b to connect to the router and go on the internet.

my bro has a dell with b/g card and i have an hp with b/g card. for some reason, neither of us can see the router, nor can connect to it for some reason. his pc wired to the router works fine.

tried without encryption, with encryption, no can do, won't see it.

laptops can see neighbour's wifi no problem though.

tried everything with the router, resetting,restoring to defaults, still can't see it.

any compatibility issues?

router is not the best in the world, the wireless setting page only has :

ssid
    channel
    encryption on/off
    64/128 bit key.

doesnt even have mac address filtration.

any help would be gladly appreciated

modem router number:

awr51/2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

On your laptop is the Wireless settings set it G only?As it it will only Find/Connect to G freq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

how do u check for that?tried looking for it but havent seen it anywhere and i dont have a specific program for the wifi except windows one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

If you look on settings>system>hardware>device manager for the card and then under advanced....(works for me!)

unfortunately, my card only has under advanced:

802.11b preamble (long+short, short)
    power save mode
    radio on/off
    scanning for available networks
    transmit power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is the SSID being broadcast by the router..? Oo

Run netstumbler on one of your laptops to check that the router is broadcasting..
    If it is, then note the SSID ('Network name').

Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections
    Right-click on the wifi network card -> Properties
    In there, click on the Wireless Networks tab
    Click ADD..
    Put in the SSID and settings...
    and finish up..
    give it a moment, if no popups appear: View available networks...

Set the SSID to broadcast on your router to save hassle, TBH.

If you're looking for the Reply buttons to state that the SSID should not be broadcast for security reasons: Hit yourself. Hard.

• Advertisement

how do u check for broadcasting ssid?im afraid that router i have is so basic its got nearly no settings

used netstumbler. couldnt see the router's ssid.

created an ssid as u mentioned,doesnt work. still can't see the router

my only hope is the broadcast thing i guess

thanks

what is really weird:

friend in the house has a belkin 802.11g usb adapter and he can see the router and connect to it no problem.

that is very very weird....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

SSID = the name of the network as your friends laptop can see it.. Add.. and use that?

Firstly, reinstall the card driver please:
    Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc -> network adaptors -> right-click on the Wifi card and select uninstall -> reboot and it will reinstall the driver.

thanks for all the help.

got it working by downloading a version of the wlan card driver that i found somewhere (which isnt the hp site)

thanks again :)

Advertisement