Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a good graphics card to get?

Options
  • 18-12-2005 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

ATI X700SE/PCI-Express 256MB, i want to get this if this a graphics card that will last a while. I don't want to get it if it wont play the latest games at the highest performance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Really to be honest what you ask for is the top model in the ranges of the geforce/ati if you want the highest proformance, but if you want the best value for money vs proformance then that card would be ideal.

However you should also look to SLI setups in the future if you want to be further futureproofed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Well, this is my card and it runs beautifully. I'm not a fan of nVidia cards, I prefer ATI, I'm holding off from SLI for a while to see if ATI come up with something in response!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Laguna wrote:
    Well, this is my card and it runs beautifully. I'm not a fan of nVidia cards, I prefer ATI, I'm holding off from SLI for a while to see if ATI come up with something in response!.

They have come up with a response, Its called 'crossfire' as far as I'm aware

They have come up with a response, Its called 'crossfire' as far as I'm aware
    Yeah I know about crossfire, but from what I've read on the net and what I've seen on a friends system, it's not so much a response, more of a *cough* in reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ATI X700SE/PCI-Express 256MB, i want to get this if this a graphics card that will last a while. I don't want to get it if it wont play the latest games at the highest performance.

Thats not even great at running FEAR. It runs Doom 3, Half Life 2 grand but it struggles on BF2 and FEAR (it will run them at low perfectly though)

You need to aim ALOT higher to play the latest games at max....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312035&cks=PRL
    X800GT -- very fast card, especially for the money. Can't handle SM3.0, but then again no card could in the low-midrange segment. And it can be OC'd to hell ;) Just make sure you get a good PSU (power supply) -- reply if ya need help. And tell us your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Laguna wrote:

ok, i just purchased http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14301083810&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97984
    (sorry, cant seem to work out how to add in links with out showing the link)

it absolutely screams, and comes with overclocking software. but its faster than anything inthe same catagory to start with anyway!

ok, i just purchased http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14301083810&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97984
    (sorry, cant seem to work out how to add in links with out showing the link)

it absolutely screams, and comes with overclocking software. but its faster than anything inthe same catagory to start with anyway!
    Use {url="full address"}Name it{/url}, substituting {} with [].
    And... I showed you an X800GTO for 137. You bought one for 190... but it's still a nice card (esp with that cooler).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Could you clock that to an x850xt with just an arctic cooler or somethin and 2 case fans? Would it worth the price and risk or would I just be better off goin with an x850xt

GStormcrow wrote:
    Could you clock that to an x850xt with just an arctic cooler or somethin and 2 case fans? Would it worth the price and risk or would I just be better off goin with an x850xt
    AFAIK, only the Sapphire x800GTO[squared] can only be unlocked & overclocked to x800XL spec; unless you're only thinking speeds (and speeds don't always equal similar performance). Check Custom PC; they should have it reviewed.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    AFAIK, only the Sapphire x800GTO[squared] can only be unlocked & overclocked to x800XL spec; unless you're only thinking speeds (and speeds don't always equal similar performance). Check Custom PC; they should have it reviewed.

You are wise young one, what you say is true. The x800GTO[Squared] is the only one that can be unlocked/overclocked as it shares the same core as the x800l (I personally thought it was the x850t though), it just needs a BIOS flash, it has an article on toms hardware about it *somewhere*...

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    And... I showed you an X800GTO for 137. You bought one for 190... but it's still a nice card (esp with that cooler).

i only read this thread after i bought it :)

but tis ok, its the turbo version that is so veeery fast, and it comes with the overclocking software anyway.

mind you, im one of those people that gave up being a techie years ago, so i cant be arsed to do all this overclocking lark.

the bloody fan takes up an additional pci space in my case too, but it is ultra quiet, and like i said, all my games are so very pretty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

:)
    and like i said, all my games are so very pretty :)

Try running FEAR at full whack. It'll reduce you to tears :)

i may see what santy brings me, or just buy it :)

Advertisement