Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11b and 11g cards on linksys wireless router

• 18-12-2005 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I recently set up a wireless network at home (with the help of many people on this board..thx).

I have 3 pcs with 11g cards connecting to a linksys wireless router, i also have a jornada 720 which i would like to connect to the network.

the only pcmcia cards i can see on ebay that mention combatibilty with the jornada 720 are 11b cards.

at the moment the linksys is set up to only recieve connections from 11g cards.
    my question is:

if i change the setting on the linksys to accept both b and g cards, will it have any adverse effects on my network..ie will it slow it down from 54 mps to 11mps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I use both 11g and 11b cards on my router, and the g card gets the full 54 when close enough, they will both work at their max speed in mixed mode, However it's possible that mixed it still has some adverse affects on the g's speeds (otherwise why wouldn't it always be in mixed mode :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Changing the setting won't affect anything immediately - adding an 11b device, however, will slow your network down. It's one of the compromises required to enable g/b backwards compatibility.

Are you aware of the Wireless forum, by the way? Probably a better place for questions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flagpole

thanks for the replies.

from what your saying changing the setting wont affect the network .

when you say that adding the 11b device to network will slow it down , am i right in saying that the adverse effects are only seen when the 11b device is on i.e. transmitting /recieving?
    so in other words the network will be fine when the jornada is switched off?

didnt realise about the wireless forum (my own fault ..didnt really look for one)..mods feel free to move this thread.

Advertisement