Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal vs. Chelsea (scores included)

• 18-12-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Suprised theres not a thread considering how big a game this is.
    Arsenal have to win to have any hope whatsover of staying in the championship race.
    They are also quite handy at home and Henry seems up for it.
    I'm hopeful :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Come on you Gunners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Come on Arsenal!! Campbell is back and will take care of that donkey Drogba :p!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep me waves to Arsene in a nice way!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Arsenal with a 100% record at home but not playing great, and Chelsea head and shoulders above everyone else in the league. Impossible to call, it's a bookies dream.

I'll go for a very entertaining 2-2 draw, with some controversy for extra spice. Just like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'll also sit on the fence on this one and say a draw....but if I had to call a winner, I'd say Arsenal. Two defeats in a row, Wenger will have them well up for it. Also, taking into account Arsenal's 100% home record and Chelsea's poor Highbury record......Actually, feck it, I'll say 2-1 Arsenal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The great hope I have, the huge one, is that arsenal will win today, Chelsea will somehow draw against Fulham, although I doubt that, but even still, Man City will be magic and win, with their nice record against Chelsea.

I'm realistically praying for a 3 point gap, with Man City and Arsenal beating Chelsea, at Christmas time :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not optimistic about this one, the Arsenal midfield is a mess. Reyes is out injured, and I fear Bergkamp will start ahead of Van Persie, which leaves Henry as the only real goal threat. Gilberto is suspended and Ljungberg & Pires have been piss all season. The good news is that at least Cygan is injured, which means either Lauren or Toure at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Jesus PHB no matter how good a boy you've been all year Santa won't bring you a 3 point gap.

Man City have scraped a few games against chelsea in recent times allright but although they got a good result yesterday it was mostly down to Birmingham been sooo bloody awful.

I hope Santa will bring me (1) an early sending off for Lehmann (b) a hat trick for duffer (c) Henry and Reyes knock each other out after running into each other at full speed. (d) Wenger cries at the post match interview. (e) Ashley Cole gets confused and dives in the wrong area and admits after the game (between sobs) that he should have signed for chelsea

Anyway, if Chelsea win it will be bad for football ..yawn.

Much as I'd like it not to be I think today has got boring draw written all over it. I think, much as with Benitez in the last CL game, neither manager wants to lose, so much so that they would rather not take the risks needed to win in favour playing for a stalemate. That said the pressure in on Arse to win this at home, if they do try to push forward it will suit Chelsea's game.

An early goal could make it a cracker ( season pun) :-)

Indeed, but I'd take a 4 point gap :D:D:D

I've just looked at the squad Arsenal are putting out and I'm not too optimistic at all at all.
    That said, Henry is in the squad, and he can produce a moment of pure magic.
    Also if there is one defender in all of the premiership who can handle Drogba's physical presence, it is Campbell, especially fighting for an England spot.

Where I feel Chelsea will destroy Arsenal is in the full back positions, which has always been Arsenals weakest point.
    It will mean that Pires/Lnunberg/Hleb will have to track back like no tomorrow to help out, cause if not, Duff or Robben or WP will create or score a goal without a doubt.
    Come on Henry hatrick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As Leeds are not in the PL this year I dont really care who wins the league bt in the interest of making the league more exciting ill be supporting Arsenal today (I also hate Mourinho with a passion). Arsenal have been excellent all season at Highbury and after suffering two defeats they will really want to bounce back. After all the talk between Wenger and Mourinho earlier in the season I expect an ill tempered match to be played at a high tempo.

Hopefully Arsenal will win in an entertaining game. Ill be putting my college assignment on hold for this game

• Advertisement

growler wrote:

An early goal could make it a cracker ( season pun) :-)

Hopefully just like last year.....an Henry spectacular.
    PHB wrote:
    Where I feel Chelsea will destroy Arsenal is in the full back positions, which has always been Arsenals weakest point.
    It will mean that Pires/Lnunberg/Hleb will have to track back like no tomorrow to help out, cause if not, Duff or Robben or WP will create or score a goal without a doubt.
    Come on Henry hatrick

Ah come on now, they didn't get a sniff in this fixture last year.

Totally different midfield this year though

Not really.... Fabregas and Flamini played in the centre that day which I suspect will happen today. Can't remember the wingers though, Reyes and Ljungberg was it?

Pires and Reyes. Ljungberg was injured; Pires played a blinder that day and he probably hasn't played as well since.

Pires and Reyes. Ljungberg was injured; Pires played a blinder that day and he probably hasn't played as well since.
    I'm still a fan of Pires as he comes to life in the big games.

Makélele back for Chelsea.

As a result Lampard will definitely score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cant see a win for Arsenal but would love it just to see that smile wipped out "The Specials One's" face.

Flamini has to have a good game otherwise we are ****ed!

Listening to fivelive, it sounds like the Chaves are dominant.

Meki.

Ahhhhhh the picture on my TV is gone!

FOR **** SAKE

Disallowed GOAL!
    That is ****ing nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Listening to Fanzone on Sky Sports. Always fun especially that dissallowed goal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Essien at it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Wow, Essien is filthy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

who had goal disallowed? just heading pub now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

1-0 chelsea A robben

Van perse had a goal disallowed

As a result Lampard will definitely score.
    Is he playing?

I predict Chelsea will play with 12 men behind the ball in the second half and win 2-0; Drogba will probably score with his arse around the 70th minute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Shocking decision for Van Persies "goal". Should definitely have stood. It was abvious that the linesman flagged for Henry when he shouls have waited to see if the ball was passed to Henry or not. That would have made for a totally different game.

As it stands Arsenal are trying pass the ball into the net as usual. I mean seriously do not kno how to shoot from outside the box? I cant see them scoring unless they change something and do it now.

Another game, another show of arse-manship from Drogba. Does he really think that anyone cares about what he's whinging on about? He was still chasing the ref five minutes after a penalty shout. What's it going to accomplish? And when Essien gave Lauren a mouthful of forearm, Drogba once again felt the need to be in the middle of it, this time mouthing off to Wenger and the 4th official. For a big guy, he's such a whiney prima donna.
    Arsenal fell foul of a bad offside decision, Van Persie was a mile onside and Henry had no bearing on the attack whatsoever. Can't say a bad word about Chelsea's goal though, good run and finish from Robben.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Kingp35 wrote:
    As it stands Arsenal are trying pass the ball into the net as usual. I mean seriously do not kno how to shoot from outside the box? I cant see them scoring unless they change something and do it now.

I've failed to see where Arsenal could have had a shot instead of passing. There are about 15 players on the edge of the Chelsea box when Arsenal attack. Shooting would be pointless even if they did get space from somewhere.

• Advertisement

Essien again, send him off ref!

Whats happened to Lampard?

Mike.

No premiership for Arsenal without a doubt

Thats that.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I've never been as pessimistic about the state of football in general. Ever.

Unfortunately, my only access to this game is F365's ticker. Sounds like Essien could have had 3 or 4 red cards by now though.

:o

no handshake

p.s.

20 point gap, jesus christ!

p.p.s.

Van Persie should have been given a goal.
    Essien should have been sent off in the 52nd minute.
    Two decisions which could totally change the season

p.p.p.s.

This bodes well for Uniteds game against them in January

Well, wrong player but I was right about the scoreline and the time of the goal. It's like game 50 at Old Trafford all over again.

• Advertisement

Well, when you're at the top, things just go for you. Two key decisions that have already been mentioned:
    - Van Persie's goal should have stood.
    - Essien should have been sent off.
    Considering what Gilberto got sent off for last week, Essien was extremely lucky to stay on the pitch. I would have put my house on Rob Styles showing a yellow for Essien's second challenge, had it not been for his first half booking. People talk about United's midfield, Arsenal's midfield was a bit of a mess today. No driving force whatsoever.

CFC deserved the win as the 2 defensive errors were too pathetic for words. It looks like arsenal can gear themselves up for europe which they can get right if their concentration level is spot on like liverpools was last season.

it may have been a different goal had RVPs goal been allowed but why bother being bitter as were out of the title race which is a sad day for supporters of this club.

i only hope its a close title race and me thinks the bookies early pay out curse may come back to haunt chelski yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can't really complain the best team won. . I was surprised at the amount of times Arsenal gave the ball away, Hleb's passing in particular today was v poor.

We'll just have to hope someone else can knock the wheels off Chelseas Bandwagon.

I've failed to see where Arsenal could have had a shot instead of passing. There are about 15 players on the edge of the Chelsea box when Arsenal attack. Shooting would be pointless even if they did get space from somewhere.

Well then you were watching a different match to me! I really wanted Arsenal to win today to make the eague kind of interesting but they just infuriated the hell out of me, I hate to think of what its like to be an Arsenal fan. They are one trick ponies and thats putting it lightly. I said at the start of the season they need to sign a big man, someone capable of winning headers and they are proving me right.

They could have had countless shots from outside the box but all they did was their usual trying to thread the ball through gaps that arent there. Why wont somebody take a shot! When Bergkamp came in he took a shot from outside the box and produced a good save from Lehman. Just pack the edge of the box against Arsenal because you know they are not going to score from a cross or take many shots from outside the box.

I sat and watched that game to see if they would try anything different when it was obvious their tactics just werent working. Little they I know they seem to have an inability to change because all their players can only play in the same way. they need someone with some physical presence up front or they will struggle.

Its not as easy to get a shot in from outside the box against Chelsea as you think.
    You don't think Henry shoots from outside the box?
    If there is a sight at goal, they will take it.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Its not as easy to get a shot in from outside the box against Chelsea as you think.
    You don't think Henry shoots from outside the box?
    If there is a sight at goal, they will take it.

Agree that occasionally they do but more often than not they try to walk it into the net. It doesnt work against teams like Chelsea who pack players at th edge of the box. I think they had many opportunities to shoot today and they didnt. I was screaming at the TV for someone to shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Arsenal look fcuked tbh. Can't see TH staying unless they get to/win the CL final.
    Five points behind Liverpool with a game more played tells it's own story, especially when you look at the scousers start to the season.
    ManU and Liverpool to fight it out for 2nd methinks.

Chelsea look impenetrable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Arsenal's true colours shining through today, they looked more nervous than a bunch of turkeys at Christmas in the tunnel. From the off Chelsea were all overr them, Arsenal fans can count their blessings it wasn't a total hammering, Robben wasted 2 great chances, Drogba could have had a penalty, Essien was unlucky to hit a leg with his shot etc. I can understand why the linesman gave the offside aswell, as I fail to see how Henry can no be interfering with play just by being where he is.

In fact I wass pleasantly surprised that Chelsea didn't go out to bore everryone to death, shame we didn't do the same against the Pool.

Drogba is world class. Robben back in form. Lauren toothless. And Utd still miles behind. Lovely.

I can understand why the linesman gave the offside aswell, as I fail to see how Henry can no be interfering with play just by being where he is.

I think most people here would agree with you.
    However that isn't what the rule is, and the simple fact of the matter is Chelsea got lucky, because that was a definate goal by the current rules.

growler wrote:
    Arsenal's true colours shining through today, they looked more nervous than a bunch of turkeys at Christmas in the tunnel. From the off Chelsea were all overr them, Arsenal fans can count their blessings it wasn't a total hammering, Robben wasted 2 great chances, Drogba could have had a penalty, Essien was unlucky to hit a leg with his shot etc. I can understand why the linesman gave the offside aswell, as I fail to see how Henry can no be interfering with play just by being where he is.
    While I'm not doubting that Chelsea were worth their win, to be fair while Arsenal may not have had as many chances the ones they did have were good ones. Cech made two or three excellent saves, Henry hitting a post, and the disallowed goal.
    growler wrote:
    Robben back in form.
    This I can't agree with. I didn't think he looked great today at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I knew they would do us, I just felt it before today. Now I have to sit thru Chrissie Dinner with my sisters hubby a mad Chelsea fan ribbing me :(

PHB wrote:
    I think most people here would agree with you.
    However that isn't what the rule is, and the simple fact of the matter is Chelsea got lucky, because that was a definate goal by the current rules.

True. The rules have been changed again this season so the linesman shouldnt have flagged until Henry actually touched the ball. He flagged far too early and so got the decision very wrong. That would have been 1-0 to Arsenal and a totally different ball game.

growler wrote:

In fact I wass pleasantly surprised that Chelsea didn't go out to bore everryone to death, shame we didn't do the same against the Pool.

Drogba is world class. Robben back in form. Lauren toothless. And Utd still miles behind. Lovely.
    roffle

Lauren toothless

Jesus I just saw that.
    You're happy that one of your players whacked somebody and they lost a tooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Arsenal were a shamables at the back and without a natural left back they seem to create a lot less up that side. Same on the right a Cb at RB and RB at LB which have been a decent supply of chances for them in recent seasons.

They were never gonna match them in the middle with Silva not playing so not having 1st choice full backs cost them.

Whats up with Essien hes been fairly nasty recently and from seeing him with lyon thats not his normal game :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement