Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

D2 reg plate?

Options
  • 18-12-2005 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Saw this car in the Blanch centre yesterday with this curious registration plate? Anybody know what it's all about?
    beemer3me.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is just a jackass that has mis-spaced the numbers on his plate either for vanity purposes or to confuse gardai and/or the general public.

The real number is 02 D 22002.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because of the location of the dash it's actually a false plate.
    In the UK he'd get pulled for that.
    http://www.aamotoringtrust.com/index.asp?pageid=31&newsid=69
    Surviving Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) - a guide for law-abiding drivers

Drivers who consider themselves law-abiding citizens may be pulled over alongside hardcore criminal drivers by police using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems, says The AA Motoring Trust.

Number-plates obscured by dirt or with incorrect letter and number spacing, that can’t be read by ANPR camera, may be flagged up as suspect registrations and police sent in pursuit. Number-plates that have been stolen or cloned by criminals and used to evade prosecution for speeding, illegal parking, insurance and other offences may also land the registered car owners in trouble. And then there may be inaccuracies and delays in the data used to identify rogue cars.

A driver who bought a Northern Ireland number-plate and customised the spacing so that it spelt his name was recently pulled over in North Wales by an ANPR police team who initially refused to accept that it was a genuine registration.

It seems to me she put the dash in the wrong place. Probably the real number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Twas a blonde haired woman drivin it....was an M3...thats what first brought my attention to the car when i saw the 4 exhausts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

She's obviously proud to live in Dublin 2 ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I've seen an Aston Martin DB4 going round that has the reg reading 04-DB4 (the reg plate itself I assume is meant to be 04-D-84!) but was quite surprised it was allowed!

But then again, pretty easy to identify if need be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

With a car like that hes probably a barristor and would know his way around any legal proceedings and the like, meanwhile if you or me did it we would be in big trouble.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the plate kind of looks cool.:D 02-D2-2002

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

a nice blonde lady drives that - usually in and around walkinstown area. its just a play on spacing etc to give a catchy ring to her reg. If anything, its easily remembered so if she's ever reported for dangerous driving or the like, it wont be hard to remember her reg plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

That car is parked around the corner from me in Blanch, saw it a few times walking past the house and always wondered what was goin on

• Advertisement

Time for a call to Revenue me thinks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd say if your driving around in a 04 Aston Martin I don't think your worried about the Revenue, they probably know all about you already. Don't you know that theres a different law for the rich and poor in this country anyway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The rules are clear and strict on this type of thing !

If you dont adhere to the correct rules you can be fined up to €2000 and even have the car impounded !

Size/style of text, spacing, Euro logo.........all have to be correct !

Back & Silver, itallics etc. are all illegal !

MercMad wrote:

If you dont adhere to the correct rules you can be fined up to €2000 and even have the car impounded !

But the gardai don't want to know, Its the Revenue that enforce this apparently.

Actually I know of someone who WAS fined €1000 ! He was stopped and given 24hours to change his black and silver plates. He didn't and about 3 days later the same cop stopped him !

My mother was stopped whilst driving my car which had a smaller than normal plate on the front. Again she was given 24 hours to change it which I did !

You must have gardai that care in your area. Down here they couldn't give 2 hoots about number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Its D2 as in Dub 2, thats well done but stupid.

samo that db9 is my friends uncle.its not 84 its 89. 04-dB9 as its an aston martin db9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

drdre wrote:
    samo that db9 is my friends uncle.its not 84 its 89. 04-dB9 as its an aston martin db9.

ah ok, I was looking at it kinda quick ;) and from a funny angle!

Nice car all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Des Cullen cars have the 05D89 DB9

• Advertisement

yeah its a nice car.these plates are really coming into fashion as people have loads of money now. my dads other friend has an m3 and got 02-d-343 thats the bhp of the car.the plates only cost 350 yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'd give anything to have 05-D-507 on my E60 M5.

Infact, I'd give anything to have an M5 to put the reg on :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its kinda weird and pointless spacing it to read d2-2002. maybe shes 2002 years old, or she likes the film d2 the mighty ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Or maybe the car is from 2002? Look at the pic again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

MercMad wrote:

Revenue , arent they suppose to catch people who dont pay tax?
    Why are they now going around the country looking at number plates?
    its really a waste of time and money. Why is the government anti everything?
    Sure what is wrong with black and silver plates? If they look appealing on
    a 60s Mustang, they should look the same on a 05 Ferrari?

The Euro plate is just boring, bland, plain and its not easy to figure outthe 00 D I00000 + figures as you dont know how many I's are on it, especially
    travelling at high speed and maybe dirt and dust covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

G Luxel wrote:
    Sure what is wrong with black and silver plates?

They have a better chance of evading detection in a world where plates are required to be black-on-white-plain-lettering, especially once you start using machines to do the reading.

But you knew that, right?

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

yeah i did, but a morris minor?and sure the revenue cant force you to put on europlates on it. Anyway they would look hideous. The germans are now putting on this euro plates with a H at the end of it. Silly and tacky

Sure what is wrong with black and silver plates? If they look appealing on
    a 60s Mustang, they should look the same on a 05 Ferrari?

.............yes I agree but they dont conform to EU law, which requires every car since Jan 1991 to have Europlates fitted !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

MercMad wrote:
    .............yes I agree but they dont conform to EU law, which requires every car since Jan 1991 to have Europlates fitted !

I dont think it is retrospective though, any time in the past they changed the provisions they applied only to new registrations. I am open to correction on this, but my understanding was you only needed to comply with the provisions as they applied at the date of first registration.

Anyway the reality is you are more likely to get pulled for "D2" messing that for driving your classic with original silver on black, or black on red plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Here's another utterly pointless plate I spotted this summer-

tsreg1zt.jpg

:rolleyes:

Advertisement