Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

D2 reg plate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

maidhc wrote:
    I dont think it is retrospective though, any time in the past they changed the provisions they applied only to new registrations. I am open to correction on this, but my understanding was you only needed to comply with the provisions as they applied at the date of first registration.

Anyway the reality is you are more likely to get pulled for "D2" messing that for driving your classic with original silver on black, or black on red plates.

AFAIK classics imported after 1991 that have been allocated club registrations (i.e. ZV) are permitted to use silver on black plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Vehicles permitted to use silver-on-black plates -

- ZV registrations (i.e. vehicle over 30yrs old)
    - ZZ " (i.e. export plates)
    - Military vehicles
    - Buses
    ......plus any vehicle first registered here before Dec 1986.

Silvera wrote:

- Military vehicles
    - Buses

What is meant by "export plates"? I see quite a few "ZZ" plates around (usually driven by foreign doctors) but I thought that they could only be used for a very short period.

'ZZ' plates are officially known as 'Temporary Registrations'.

They are valid for one month only to allow unregistered vehicles to be driven in Ireland when awaiting formal registration OR (as is the case with 99% of them) to allow foreign buyers to drive the vehicles home (i.e. to their home country).

A red sticker is attached to the plate showing the date of expiry.

Silvera wrote:
    'ZZ' plates are officially known as 'Temporary Registrations'.

They are valid for one month only to allow unregistered vehicles to be driven in Ireland when awaiting formal registration OR (as is the case with 99% of them) to allow foreign buyers to drive the vehicles home (i.e. to their home country).

A red sticker is attached to the plate showing the date of expiry.

Thanks for that. I haven't noticed the red stickers - must look out for them.

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    Thanks for that. I haven't noticed the red stickers - must look out for them.

No problem.
    I suspect that some people remove the stickers after they expire, and keep driving on their ZZ plates !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Silvera wrote:

- Military vehicles
    - Buses

Actually, the leaflet from the Revenue states that vehicles "registered before 1992" do not have to have Euro-plates - it doesn't say "first registered" or "registered in Ireland", which is why my UK-import Golf is perfectly legal on its black-and-silver 83-D-NNNN plates...

Type 17 wrote:
    Actually, the leaflet from the Revenue states that vehicles "registered before 1992" do not have to have Euro-plates - it doesn't say "first registered" or "registered in Ireland", which is why my UK-import Golf is perfectly legal on its black-and-silver 83-D-NNNN plates...

For your car to be "perfectly legal" it must either have black-on-white plates (i.e. if imported between Jan '87 and Jan 91) or 'Euro' plates (if imported after Jan 91).

Advertisement