Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish computer shops?

Options
  • 18-12-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi, I came to Ireland 2 months ago :)
    In the meantime I have found two reasonable internet shops with computer parts:

komplett.ie
    pixmania.com

the problem is, they are quite expensive :confused:

What computer shops here in Ireland could you recommend me?

Thank you for your help in advance! :)

... and sorry for my English ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm hate to say this but komplett are one of the cheapest and you'll have a hard time finding irish stores - especially high street stores - that are cheaper than komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

They are cheap as far as Irish shops go.
    www.dabs.com are in the UK but they deliver to ireland.
    I'm afraid that's pretty much as cheap as you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

komplett.ie is one the best for price but its not even in Ireland. Their actually based in holland as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

komplett.ie is one the best for price but its not even in Ireland. Their actually based in holland as far as I'm aware.
    and norway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hosi wrote:
    What computer shops here in Ireland could you recommend me?
    None. Most Irish shops have PC's that are months old, but still the same price, a certain shop has a policy where the staff must reach certain quotas or get sacked, thus they may not sell you a great deal, and its rare that the person knows anything else about the computer other than the specs thats printed on the side. Thus, komplett.ie is rather a good place to buy, as the stuff will come down in price as new stuff comes in, unlike the stuff in the shop, where their stuff just stays the same.

The only half-decent shop in Ireland would be dell.ie and thats pretty much how bad most of the shops are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Thank you very much for your answers! :)
    And how it is with the range of products?
    Currently I am looking for a certain graphic card
    (GeForce 6600GT Gigabyte Silent Pipe II 256MB)
    and of course I can't find it here in IRL...

What do you think about buying abroad (not necessarily in UK)?
    I've found a few shops in Germany (shipping to IRL 20 EUR).
    Any experience? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

www.overclockers.co.uk will have that card I think

commited wrote:
    www.overclockers.co.uk will have that card I think

Unfortunately they don't have that card :( but thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If you can find some evidence of good support and returns policy then theres no reason not to buy from the web. The only reason why you'd buy in an Irish store is because its an impluse buy or you need it urgently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Check out the sticky - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285313

Komplett are probably the best prices around but they're not irish. They just maintain a registered office here (which is actually GLS's office). They're delivery and returns policy is good.

• Advertisement

:eek: very useful thread! THANKS! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hosi wrote:
    Is that like this one: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315347&cks=PRL

"Gigabyte 6600GT Silent Pipe, 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express". Komplett.ie has been reliable for me, thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

If you've no prob odering from Germany, I find http://www.jes-computer.de are pretty good. Ordered some stuff off em before, and never had problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I've made a post previously with links to price comparison websites in Germany. You will find that you can get some items at half the price they cost in Ireland. (Recently bought an Antec Neopower for 62EURO from Germany, costs 139Euro at Komplett!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

pixmania.com dont look bad i never knew about there web site. Does anyone know whats the price of there postage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Pixmania postage = €13 AFAIK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think there's a thread around somewhere saying that Pixmania went into liquidation and people are having trouble getting there stuff from them, anybody else see that ?

edit: I guess I was wrong about the liquidation (maybe mixing it up with Elara), but there is a thread in Bargain Alerts with lot's of people having problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846559&highlight=pixmania

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

BadCharlie wrote:
    pixmania.com dont look bad i never knew about there web site. Does anyone know whats the price of there postage ?
    pixmania do have decent prices - which tend to work out slightly cheaper than Komplett but if things go wrong with pixmania items be prepared for a bit of hassle as "customer service" are foreign words to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

hosi wrote:
    Thank you very much for your answers! :)
    And how it is with the range of products?
    Currently I am looking for a certain graphic card

What do you think about buying abroad (not necessarily in UK)?
    I've found a few shops in Germany (shipping to IRL 20 EUR).
    Any experience? :)

www.tekheads.co.uk
    www.overclocks.co.uk
    www.jes.de
    www.comtech.de

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

Komplett win on price with Dabs a close second...
    Dabs carry quite a few Corsair products but by no means a full range, while Complett don't carry any...

Buying from Europe
    I've also bought from European companies mainly in France and Germany where prices tend to be better than the UK, however, shipping costs can negate any advantage where items are heavy as with cases and power supplies...

Prices from many of the smaller UK companies (and some not so small) tend to be more expensive than from their Europe counterparts. I have also seen some pretty exaggerated Euro/Sterling conversion charges, not to mention extraordinarily postage charge too. Shipping a 140mm radiator costing £88 was being charged at £48...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement