Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest VII for PS2 Review

Options
  • 18-12-2005 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

Sorry should read Dragon Quest VIII, not 7, I Just wanted to give a quick review of a game im pleasently suprised about.

I bought Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2 on Friday, didnt get around to playing it until today, have been playing for about 4 hours straight, Im very impressed.

Its an old fashioned RPG, very charming and not a big learning curve, amazing music and voice acting, great cell shade GFX, but the best thing is the game play is great with the just the right level of difficulty, perhaps a tad easy but stil l challenging, and an interesting charector skill system, which becomes quite complex (complete with pets) as you level, any game with sex appeal as an trainable attribute is awesome in my book.

I highly recommend it, its a joy to play and It really reminds my of the old RPGS I played on the megadrive and SNES years ago, with very high producion values and lovingly detailed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Waiting for the PAL release, but it looks really brilliant. I might drag out my old chipped PS1 and give VII another whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

waiting for a pal release myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Am about 12 hours into the game and am addicted to it!

Positive things to note:

The graphics are quite amazing, the world map is extremely realistic. this is by far the first RPG I have played where if you stray off the road and into the wilderness it feels like you are doing just that. You get lost easily but not in a frustrated way, in a realistic way. It takes time to travel from place to place and just feels right! You can climb to higher ground to get a bearings on where you are, wander into a forest and get disorientated, it really is very impressive. Even after you get the world map the terrain is still challenging!

The voiceovers are great IMO. It is nice that they use an array of accents without americanizing them! In other words the accents come complete with slang!

The great thing about the storyline is that it tells you nothing. You literally start the game and rather than being told what the current situation is and how you got there, it just plays and over time you learn what is actually going on. The villian in the game is getting more and more interesting as i am progressing.

One last thing... the side quests are awesome, already i have been introduced to creating new items and weapons using the alchemy pot (recipes can be found hidden throughout the game and it is a little more challenging than it sounds!) and i have just gotten to the pet scenario (where you train and choose what creatures you can call on in battle, like a summon).

Negative things:

Not much! probably the only thing i dislike is how it loads and environment and there is a few seconds delay before the people load. I would rather wait those few seconds and have it all load at once. But this is a small thing in the end and i have adjusted!

Overall in another year without a FF game, this one should tide us over. So far it has everything you can ask for from an RPG. No idea on the PAL release date but buy it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

OY wrote:
    Am about 12 hours into the game and am addicted to it!

Positive things to note:

The graphics are quite amazing, the world map is extremely realistic. this is by far the first RPG I have played where if you stray off the road and into the wilderness it feels like you are doing just that. You get lost easily but not in a frustrated way, in a realistic way. It takes time to travel from place to place and just feels right! You can climb to higher ground to get a bearings on where you are, wander into a forest and get disorientated, it really is very impressive. Even after you get the world map the terrain is still challenging!

The voiceovers are great IMO. It is nice that they use an array of accents without americanizing them! In other words the accents come complete with slang!

The great thing about the storyline is that it tells you nothing. You literally start the game and rather than being told what the current situation is and how you got there, it just plays and over time you learn what is actually going on. The villian in the game is getting more and more interesting as i am progressing.

One last thing... the side quests are awesome, already i have been introduced to creating new items and weapons using the alchemy pot (recipes can be found hidden throughout the game and it is a little more challenging than it sounds!) and i have just gotten to the pet scenario (where you train and choose what creatures you can call on in battle, like a summon).

Negative things:

Not much! probably the only thing i dislike is how it loads and environment and there is a few seconds delay before the people load. I would rather wait those few seconds and have it all load at once. But this is a small thing in the end and i have adjusted!

Overall in another year without a FF game, this one should tide us over. So far it has everything you can ask for from an RPG. No idea on the PAL release date but buy it!!!

How do you use thw whistle skill, Ive tried in and out of combat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Gizzard wrote:
    How do you use thw whistle skill, Ive tried in and out of combat

Used it from the main menu. From the magic tab. All it does is summon monsters for a battle without you having to walk around! Handy though!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement