Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Press Release Help

• 18-12-2005 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Not too sure if anybody can help me but I need to issue a press release on behalf of a charity to all National papers and all local Dublin publications. Would anybody have a listing of relevant email addresses?

Thanks for any possible help on this
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I would think your best bet is to outline a bit more about the content of the press release and then I would be happy to suggest individual journalists, reporters, or sections of the newspaper to target. You need to email them and then follow up with an email and then a phone call.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

this site was on Piaras Kelly's blog, haven't actually given it a look yet, but it could be of use:

http://www.pressreleaseireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Take a wander into the library and see if they have a copy of the Irish Media Contacts Directory. You'll get all the names, numbers and addresses you want there.

Make sure you have contact details (name, address, phone number, mobile number and email), the date and the title of the press release on *every page*, though preferably you should limit it to one page.

If possible, submit a printing-quality photo with the release, with the same details on a label on the back. At least send a photo to the nationals, the local papers of anyone local involved, and Nationwide.

Don't forget radio stations such as Newstalk; send a copy to the newsroom, plus one to the important shows - and try to have a good hook for an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

luckat wrote:
    though preferably you should limit it to one page.

About that, I'm putting together a press release for a fundraising event on Paddy's Day and we're trying to decide between a long (3pg inc photos) and a short release. With the longer one, we can fit a bit more background (low profile charity - so far!), but is it best to have it a snappy one pager?

Also, are there any libraries with an up to date Irish Media Contacts Directory? The one at college is ten years old.

The charity is all about youth and education here and abroad, so if anyone could pass on media contacts in that area, I'd be very grateful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

edanto wrote:
    About that, I'm putting together a press release for a fundraising event on Paddy's Day and we're trying to decide between a long (3pg inc photos) and a short release. With the longer one, we can fit a bit more background (low profile charity - so far!), but is it best to have it a snappy one pager?

Also, are there any libraries with an up to date Irish Media Contacts Directory? The one at college is ten years old.

The charity is all about youth and education here and abroad, so if anyone could pass on media contacts in that area, I'd be very grateful.

I think a small, snappier one would work better; put the extra info online if you can and make it really clear that they can log on to get it; or else make it clear that you are available for an interview etc., give loads of contact details.
    If someone wants the story, they'll either put up what you've given (which is good) or get in touch for a few extra quotes (which is even better)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Search the Dublin City Library catalogue online:

http://libcat.dublincity.ie/cgi-bin/dublin-cat.sh?enqtype=AUTHOR

(you can also search by title).

This shows that there's a copy of the 2005 directory available in the Business Information Centre.

I don't know if this refers to the one in the Ilac Centre library or the one in Blackrock library - give the Ilac a ring and they'll tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Always remember when writing a Press Release you need to get across the five Ws and the H in the first TWO paragrpahs. Editors cut from the bottom up.

WHO
    WHERE
    WHEN
    WHY
    WHAT
    HOW

Example:

U3 (WHO) will perform their latest single (WHAT) in Temple Bar (WHERE) at 8pm tonight (WHEN) in aid of African Debt Relief (WHY). The event will be staged on a specially contructed stage (HOW) supplied by local traders.

Even if the editor cuts anything after this first para, all your info is in.

PM me if you want with your release and I will edit it for you. I am a Full Member of the PRII www.prii.ie

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Tuppence worth:

1 If sending by e-mail (which is the best way now) try and make sure you're sending it to as many of the right people as you can. Many publications have an info@or newsroom@ e-mail address which are good catch alls but if you can get a few personal inbox addresses so much the better. The media directory is the best source of up to date addresses if you can get it

2 Do NOT send the release as a text attachment. Trust me on this. Send it as plain text in the main body of the message. Even though it looks fairly non descript. Journalists deal in raw material and their raw material is plain text.

3 Write a snappy headline which conveys a hint of what the release is about and put it in the subject line of your mail message. DO NOT put 'Press Release' on its own without saying what else is in it. Journalists typically get about 100 of these a day. Make the message stand out; just saying 'press release' will draw the response 'Well duh'

4 The point about getting all the salient facts into the first two paragraphs is well made above. Use the rest of the release to amplify and describe in greater detail the key messages in the first two pars.

Actually if you get this bit right, it doesn't really matter how long the release is. In fact a longer release can be an advantage. What is vital is that you give the journalist the key messages in the first two pars so that they can decide quickly whether your piece is relevant to them or not. As I said, they get a lot of dross every day. All they really want is to be able to make their minds up quickly.

5 If you have a picture send it as an attachment in JPEG form. Give it a relevant name. Don't send something called DSFC100005.jpg. Lots of muppets do that. It doesn't stand out on a hard drive. Also, and you'd be surprised how many muppets don't do this, INCLUDE A CAPTION in the press release. Just because you know the name of your fund raiser in chief, doesn't mean everybody else does.

6 Careful about 'following up' on the release afterwards. It's the call every journalist hates without exception. If you're determined to ring them up do so beforehand: ask them would they be interested in the story and then bang it over to them as you're speaking. The 'Did you get my press release?' call is being tolerated less and less and rightly so.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Many thanks for the advice - it's all been taken on board and we're going to send the release out soon.

slumped, I've PMd you our final draft to see what you think of it.

I've gone through the media contact directory (and found a copy of it online!), so I think we should be able to target the emails to some of the right people. All the same, if anyone has contact details for people that would cover charity events (any media) I'd be very grateful.

Advertisement