Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is too much?

• 18-12-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

As suggested by Simu here in this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860861

How much money is too much money when buying clothes.
    I personally would consider 100e way to much for a shirt.

You go into shops nowadays and see girls tops for 125 and 150euro!? This is just extortion!

So how much do you consider to much money when buying clothes!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i consider anything above these expensive...

> €020 for a t-shirt
    > €050 for a jumper/hoody
    > €070 for a pair of trousers/jeans
    > €100 for a pair of shoes/runners (tend to last me the longest so don't mind paying more for them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

€10 max for t-shirt
    €60 max for trousers
    €40 max for a top/hoodie
    €80 max for a jacket
    €80 max for shoes/runners

What I'm wearing now cost:
    Runners €40
    Trousers €40
    Belt €12
    Hoodie yolk €30 I think
    Jackety/Top €40 I think
    Top €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It totally depends.

I spent €50 on a pair of Paul Frank pj bottoms but it's worth it because they've lasted really well so far and when I'm at home I wear pjs. Since I'm at home a lot lately they've seen a lot of use.

The most I've spent on shoes is €150 for a pair of Uggs. Totally worth it though because I wear nothing else anymore. They're so soft and comfortable.

Most I've spent on trousers would be about €100 but I haven't spent anything like that recently. My last jeans cost me €50 in the Arnott's sale whenever I was in Dublin, summer I think? Jeans I like to invest in usually as they do tend to last ages. I have a pair that I bought in Vero Moda about 3 and a half years ago and they're still going strong. They cost me €80. I hated them for a while but then rediscovered them and now they're my favourites again. €80 is probably the average cost of my jeans.

Tracksuit bottoms I won't spend much on. I bought a pair for £22 in Topshop and they're my most expensive. All the others I got in sales and I have 3 pairs I bought in the River Island sales last year at £10 each.

Tshirts depend. I have 2 gorgeous Diesel tops that set me back €50 each. At the time I was working and making a ridiculous amount of money so that didn't seem that bad. Now I earn a lot less because I work less hours and usually spend less than £10 on a tshirt. I tend to go for basic styles and then accessorise to make it look more interesting. Layering also makes items look more interesting.

Jackets I don't spend much on. My current brown bubble jacket was £10 in the New Look sales. I'm not usually a fan of New Look but I had just walked in from River Island after seeing a very similar coat for £65 and felt like saving myself £55. I've been lucky with sales so my most expensive jacket is a £40 Warehouse denim jacket.

Hoodies cost me about £10-£20 a piece from H&M. I live near Birmingham so have ready access to decent sized H&Ms. I don't see why anyone would pay more when H&M have a huge range of colours in zipped and unzipped stlyes for next to nothing. They're great quality and last ages too.

Accessories I'll spend various amounts on. I've gotten bags from £5 to £40 which isn't too pricy. Earrings can go from anywhere from £1 off eBay to £20. Just wherever I find nice things I'll get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

LadyLotts wrote:
    It totally depends.

I spent €50 on a pair of Paul Frank pj bottoms but it's worth it because they've lasted really well so far and when I'm at home I wear pjs. Since I'm at home a lot lately they've seen a lot of use.

The most I've spent on shoes is €150 for a pair of Uggs. Totally worth it though because I wear nothing else anymore. They're so soft and comfortable.

Tshirts depend. I have 2 gorgeous Diesel tops that set me back €50 each. At the time I was working and making a ridiculous amount of money so that didn't seem that bad.

See those I would consider insane amounts of money

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Girlfriend

It depends how much money you have...

Spend as much a you can afford on decent shoes and coats, cos you get so much wear out of them. Also ladies, please buy yourself decent bras - it's an investment in your future. And what's worse than cheap undies on men? (maybe cheap shoes)

I'm not rich, or a label snob - I shop everywhere. The most I've spent on one item was €138.00 for a pair of leather boots. The least was €3.00 for a second hand cardigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I generally spend as much as Cremo does. I will sometimes pay a bit more if it's something I really like the look of and I'm sure I'll wear regularly.

Apparently Oxfam are good for bargains. Was complimenting a guy on a jacket he was wearing the other day saying "How much did you spend on that? €200? €300?" and the response was "€20" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yup used to work there shop there and love there!!
    All charity shops are a haven for bargains,
    Armani trousers, genuine, 25euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm...

For a T-Shirt I'd spend up to €30, but generally that would only be for a long sleeved one. I think the €20 mark is about average though. Shirt - €60. Trousers - €60. Jacket - €200 maybe? That's a very rare occaision though. Shoes/Boots - €120, but I'd make sure they'd be something that would last a good while. I suppose around €80 for a pair of runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

€30 max for t-shirt
    €100 max for trousers
    €100 max for a top/hoodie
    €300 max for a jacket
    €200 max for shoes/runners

I'd only send the maximum if I really really liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd normally buy a load of 20 quid t shirts then maybe one really good 40-60 quid one. Shirts, maybe 50-ish, depends on how much I like it really. As for trousers, anything really does me. Its something people never really even notice anyway, especially on the club scene which is the only place I'd actually consider a decent pair, but I normally always wear your run of the mill cheapo jeans. I like to have nice shoes/runners though, so I don't mind spending alot on them seeing as they last a long time.

My parents go crazy though. My mother found a top the last day in a sale for 220 and bought it and was well pleased about it too. I was horrified. She's always buying crap like that on a regular basis. Women...eh? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

im a thifty shopper, have never paid more than 100e for an item of clothing, and i intend to keep it that way!
    dont see the point in spending that much tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

See those I would consider insane amounts of money

Those are one offs though. I have a bunch of tshirts I bought at a school fair for about 10 cents each that I use for lazing around the house and a few pairs of cheapy pj bottoms from Penneys and that I've gotten as Xmas presents. The boots were so much more than I usually spend on shoes. The last shoes I'd bought before that were a pair of pink shimmery ballet pumps for £10. The tshirts, as I said, were only really because I could afford to treat myself. I haven't bought a tshirt costing more than £20 (€30) lately and even that is a lot by my standards. It really depends on how much I can afford to spend at the time. Most of my clothes are from decent shops but they tend to be items I got in a sale or special promotion. If I spend £10 on my winter coat instead of £100 or whatever then spending £150 on boots isn't that bad as I saved so much on the coat I can afford to spend a little more elsewhere in my wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Seraphina wrote:
    im a thifty shopper, have never paid more than 100e for an item of clothing, and i intend to keep it that way!
    dont see the point in spending that much tbh.

The most I ever spent was 100 on a coat. And the most I ever spent on shoes was 85.

But 2 of my favourite pairs of shoes were great value - €3 for a pair of purple round-toed stilettos in Dunnes (MASSIVE sale) and €8 for the most gorgeous pair of high heels I found in a charity shop in Dublin somewhere. Shop around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

10-15e on a tshirt max
    15-25e on a jacket type thing
    50 max on trousers
    25max on a skirt
    60max on boots/shoes
    they all the maximum if i really loved something,once ya shop around a bit theres no real need to pay anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

I don't really set a maximun price when I am buying clothes! I usually buy something if I like it!! I think it depends on what kind of money you are earning... When I was in college I just couldn't afford to buy clothes and couldn't justify spending €50 on a top!
    These days I am a bit more outragous, I've been known to spend anything up to €200 on handbags!... the latest addition to my shoe collection was €220! In saying that though I have bought some handbags for €5 and some shoes for €10!! I usually find that the more expensive things last so much longer and I have more mass on them too!! I'm not really into labels and that... I just buy things that I like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the most expensive piece of attire I own are my Swear platform soled runners and they cost 120quid but I'll wear them for years. I would never buy anything over 50 quid other than that.

Advertisement