Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs

Options
  • 18-12-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Right, maybe this should go in a music Forum, but i cant guarantee that they'll have taste. There are some songs which are automatically seen as 'good' songs. Bohemian Rhapsody and Imagine come to mind. What other 'good' songs are there, and which is the best?

Also, which is the best song anyway?

My favourite 'good' song is American Pie. I think a few people might agree.

Woo! First new topic in like ages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Um.. It's a bit of a subjective question...
    Are you asking us what are our favourite songs? I could go on a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Sunn O))) - anything by them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Stairway to Heaven!
    Bohemian Rhapsody's teh best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There are no objectively "good" songs. The OP has said Imagine is a "good" song. I don't like imagine, I don't think it's a verey good song and I'm sure there are songs that I like that others would see as terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭odranCN

Deliverance - opeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

"Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Cresent Shaped Horns" by Nile. Great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Is it just me or is CTYI predominantly a rocker group??:rolleyes:
    says something for rockers....

Dream Theatre - Infected Mushroom.
    Psytrance ftw!

Yes, I did this to be contrary, but it's also a great song.

Also

Halcyon and On and On - Orbital.

yay!!!

commander tom - attention, had to be said
    stretch nd vern - beats & bones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

The Hunger by the Distillers- ok f*ck technicallities that ong is AMZING to listen to!

• Advertisement

oooh Scorpion by Infected Mushroom!

Also anything from Moulin Rouge.

Scorpion is so great. It reminds me of spy films... and it has strings. That means it has to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

Stairway to Heaven!
    Bohemian Rhapsody's teh best.
    Wrong fool! Stairway to Heaven is the best... Ever. All Led Zeppelin songs are fantastically better than everyone else, even the not so good ones on the last two albums.

I have a lot of favourite songs though, i couldnt mention them all... well, i could, but i'd just go on and on ...

Machine Gun and All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix...

Napoleon Bona Parts One and Two by Budgie is brilliant too, anyone ever listen to them?

I could continue... but i wont...

Scorpion is so great. It reminds me of spy films... and it has strings. That means it has to be good.

It was used as the theme tune for Are You Afraid of The Dark afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Chris IS Cool: Queen conquers all! Followed closely by Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, T-Rex, Cream and the Kinks.

Am I the only one who genuinely dislikes Jimi Hendrix? I know he was a guitarist without comparison and all that but his songs seem mediocre to me and his distortion's just horrible to listen to. Gives me a headache every time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'm going to allow this...for now...

Keep it conversational/discussional/whateveral. No posting lists and non-sense like that. This thread isn't your own personal post count bumper. <insert usual violent ban related threat here>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

One by U2 - If you'd seen it live, you'd know.
    Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve.

I realise I'm probably on my own here as regards those two songs but I genuinely love them.

Bittersweet symphony starts off good, but it gets repetitive and boring fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

No, I'd actually agree with those being great songs along with others such as Californication, Come On Eileen :D , House of the Rising Sun, Sunshine of Your Love and My Lovely Horse. Can't actually think of any magnificent songs at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Come On Eileen :D
    You should get Reel Big Fish's version of it.

Also Ive Been to a Marvellous Party by The Divine Comedy is a cool enough song, as is Songs of Love, also by the DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Chop Suey, Sad Statue, pretty much anything from System of a Down's last 3 albums though this is just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree.
    Piste wrote:
    Also anything from Moulin Rouge.
    I only saw a few minutes of this but am I crazy or did I hear Smells Like Teen Spirit in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Piste wrote:
    There are no objectively "good" songs. The OP has said Imagine is a "good" song. I don't like imagine, I don't think it's a verey good song and I'm sure there are songs that I like that others would see as terrible.

Exactly. It's not necessarily a good song (and in Imagine's case, it's just a boring, hypocritical tribute song), but if you asked someone to name The Best Song of All Time, that would more then likely come up, as would Stairway to Heaven.

I actually like Bo Rhap, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I only saw a few minutes of this but am I crazy or did I hear Smells Like Teen Spirit in that?

Yes, when the ladies come out it's to the strains of 'Lady Marmalade' and the guys come from the other side, asking to be entertained, as in singing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

Learning this kinda thing is just one reason why staging that movie ruled.

There are very few works that I would consider perfect pieces of music, these are a few of them, and comprise but a small part of my list of favouites.

Leper Affinity - opeth
    Oh holy night - the christmas song
    Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor - Bach
    Clarinet Concerto in F Major, 2nd Movement(Adagio) - Mozart
    Space-Dye Vest - Dream THeater

This thread is kinda silly, I think.

Undergod wrote:

This thread is kinda silly, I think.
    course.... tis all a matter of opinion, we're not going to get a resolution. tis still good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Chris IS Cool

Am I the only one who genuinely dislikes Jimi Hendrix?

I hope so... Hendrix is/was a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

this is a silly thread.
    for instance, i firmly believe that beyonce's 'crazy in love' (and susbsequently, amerie's '1 thing') is one of the greatest songs ever written. of course, nobody here will back me up on this because beyonce doesn't have the same alternative street cred as jimi hendrix. i'm not saying jimi hendrix isn't also very good. but crazy in love is better.

I liked B*witched...

There I said it.

Liked?
    What did you get kicked out of #ctyizens tonight for doing?

(I can't actually remember, but i think it was B*witched related)

Well, I liked Aqua. And I still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xtremetothemax

I'm gonna take a shot at this bizarre question by posting some obscure songs that are great.

Yes-Close to the Edge
    Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds- Thunder Child
    King Crimson-21st Century Schitzoid Man
    Dave Brubeck-Blue Ronda A La Turk
    Brad Mehldau-Paranoid Android (yes , its a radiohead cover)

• Advertisement

Liked?
    What did you get kicked out of #ctyizens tonight for doing?

(I can't actually remember, but i think it was B*witched related)

Well, I liked Aqua. And I still do.

...I got kicked from #ctyizens?

I did say /me bops to B*witched at some point. And I also blatantly disobeyed the topic by saying "But my college is better than your college!"

I do alot of things that could merit kicking

<_<

>_>

¬.¬

Advertisement