Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, it was bops to B*witched thing.
    Shame on you!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Piste wrote:
    And I also blatantly disobeyed the topic by saying "But my college is better than your college!"

You said that after I kicked you. :)

Anyway, shoo topic, back, on, etc.

I haven't actually contributed anything. Hrm... I don't know to be honest. At the moment I listen to a fair bit of Nightwish (moving away from this), a bit of Within Temptation, started listening to Metallica again recently, a good deal of Muse/Radiohead and the Black Mages. That's just a list of bands I guess but in general anything by them is to my liking.

I tend to listen to things randomly. Anything and everything (aside from genres that I just totally dislike).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Well apart from a heathy dose of progressive black metal, I'm getting quite into Shostakovitch lately.

Shotsakovitch wins the cool name award.
    Speaking of classical music, actually, everyone go and get Scheherazade by Rimsky Korsakov. Such a great piece. I'm not sure of the exact movement, but if it's 45 minutes long it's probably the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's this now? Podge posting something that isn't a ban threat? :p

I started listening to Nightwish recently too. And the Cure more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds- Thunder Child

Like it, but I have issues with the album in general. It's what I'm listening to right now, actually.
    Dave Brubeck-Blue Ronda A La Turk

I just think it's very dull. And not like Rondo A La Turk at all.

for instance, i firmly believe that beyonce's 'crazy in love' (and susbsequently, amerie's '1 thing') is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Take out most of the Jay-Z, and you're almost right. That song freakin rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Piste wrote:
    I liked B*witched...

There I said it.

The first CD i ever bought was a Spice Girls CD.

Well, can't use this tongue again.

Shotsakovitch wins the cool name award.
    Not only that but he wins the most eccentric composer and (in my mind) best classical composer awards too. As for songs by him, the 4th Symphony is the best I've heard so far. Very long though. Although that's not a really a bad thing...

No way, Tchaichovsky rocks! In a way.

And Stotetc. might have the best name, but the best song name is "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

this is a silly thread.
    for instance, i firmly believe that beyonce's 'crazy in love' (and susbsequently, amerie's '1 thing') is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I'd have to agree to a point, tis all about the lyrics. I'm not saying I'm a great fan of beyonce's but amerie's 1 thing is a touch of class!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

JCB Song by Nizlopi is the greatest...

true......true......

Neither Shostakovich nor Tchaikovsky are classical composers.

The term 'classical' is quite ambiguous in that it can be referring to a particular period of music, (what was it, the 18th century?) or, as it is being used in this case, to a broad genre of music, yes, containing the classical era, but which is fairly distinct to most modern music in ... well, lots of ways. It doesn't really need defining though. People know what 'classical' music is.

Mer mer mer... I'm PFM, I'm not a pedantic music nerd... ner mer mer.

THat's my impression of you, see?

Tchaikovsky is the Romantic era.

=)

I'm a pedantic language-usage nerd. Music has to come second some times.

JCB Song by Nizlopi is the greatest...

I dont like it, but if it beats the fella who won the Reality TV show to No. 1 for Christmas, i won't complain. Of course, they should give it to Madonna.

Shostakovitch is twentieth century so I think he fits into the modern period of Classical music. It's crazy I know but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

fur elise! such a great song...no reason by sum41, infact any sum 41 song, does anyone agree with me about how cool their lyrics are?
    funeral for a friend .......bend your arms to look like wings
    blink 182.......violence, adams song and feeling this
    sum41......the hell song, no reason, im not the one
    and their song "thanks for nothing" reminds me of ctyi my first year, listen to the lyrics!

• Advertisement

There are better Funeral for a Friend songs.
    Drive, for example.
    Or, The Art of American Football.

Isn't Fur Elise that song that EVERYONE EVER plays on the piano? *twitches slightly*

Isn't Fur Elise that song that EVERYONE EVER plays on the piano? *twitches slightly*
    rings a bell........ it's been a while though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

The first movement of Beethoven's moonlight sonata.

"the heart asks pleasure first" from the soundtrack to "the piano", Michael Nyman

"Piano Man" - Billy Joel

It's true, I think there's some rule that states that you MUST learn Fur Elise if you are to play the piano.

tis true almost EVERYONE knows how to play fur elise, even alot of people that dont play piano, i know a friend who plays in on geetarRRRR but it sounds so odd! drive is probably THE MOST depressing funeral for a friend song, and bsides casually dressed is a better album, juneau and she drove me to daytime t.v are alot better than the art of american football:)

Damnit, Big My Secret is better than The Heart Asks Pleasure First. You're all deluded!

And I think Hours is far better than Casually Dressed... It may just be that I've listened to Hours more extensively, but the songs are just awesome. Most of them. Such a great album.

Drive is depressing, but... good. Anyway, FFAF are emo, you need to be able to put up with the heartcrushing depressing-ness of it all.

so true! i really love drive but if i listen to it more than twice in a day i start to go down like a granny on a frosty morning....

The Heart Asks Pleasure First is great though, even if it's only because if you say it fast people totally mis-hear you and get it completely wrong...

Piste wrote:
    It's true, I think there's some rule that states that you MUST learn Fur Elise if you are to play the piano.

I know it on recorder. Oh yeah:o

• Advertisement

so true! i really love drive but if i listen to it more than twice in a day i start to go down like a granny on a frosty morning....

Ew...
    I know it on recorder.

I can play a certain pantera song on at least four instruments, recorder among them.

Advertisement