Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Er, what's a pantera song? Are Pantera a band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Yes, yes they are. Heathen.
    I can play a certain pantera song on at least four instruments, recorder among them.
    I wonder what song that could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

It's on 'vulgar display of power', and it's rather easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

The best song is always going to be Tiesto's Adagio for Strings!

halenger wrote:
    I'm going to allow this...for now...

Keep it conversational/discussional/whateveral. No posting lists and non-sense like that. This thread isn't your own personal post count bumper. <insert usual violent ban related threat here>

Well, it was nice while it lasted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

Rage Against The Machine - Bomb Track

its a cool song, if you dont know rage against the machine go download some, its good, so is audioslave but if you know anything there similar

There was a 'Listener's All-Time Top 300' on 96 & 103 FM over the Bank Holiday weekend. I turned it off when 'Killing me Softly' came in the thirties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hobotastic

Pachelbel's Canon in D is a song I've loved for a long time, despite its many perversions on radio and tv. It's even in Zoolander, in the background when Mugatu is introducing his Derelicte campaign at the show.

It's even a ringtone on my sister's new phone, which is pink and can also be used as a mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Debaser by The Pixies strikes me as one of the greats.

But that may just by me...

• Advertisement

Hobotastic wrote:
    Pachelbel's Canon in D is a song I've loved for a long time, despite its many perversions on radio and tv. It's even in Zoolander, in the background when Mugatu is introducing his Derelicte campaign at the show.

Really gets on my tits, I'm afraid. So bloody long winded and doesn't go anywhere. But I can appreciate why it's popular, there's some nice stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Cavalleria Rusticana's a really nice piece.

Although I was listening to it on repeat for about twenty minutes before I realised it was on repeat and not just a very long song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nomey1Kanobi

I like piano music. Pantera are also good, but classical is way better! Do you think? I think Rachmaninov is great, and Chopin and Scriabin, and loads others!I dont really think you can compare any other music to classical though cos they're so different. Well jazz maybe. But not the music already mentioned anyways!

Well lots of metal artists are hugely influenced by baroque, classical and romantic composers. There's a genre "neoclassical metal". I think all Western music can be compared at some level, because it's all based around the same system of 12 notes to an octave, and modes and so forth.

I'd consider a lot of types of jazz to be further (in terms of composition) from classical music than certain Opeth songs are, for example.
    I like piano music.

What about the composer Field?

And that Pantera song is 'Walk' by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Yanniscaus

Piste wrote:
    It's true, I think there's some rule that states that you MUST learn Fur Elise if you are to play the piano.

I'm grade eight on piano and I've never played it in my life:D

at the moment, i listen to mostly rock-typish music, but when i'm old and wrinkly, jazz would definetely be my type of music(even though its often described as musical masturbating:confused: )
    for my favourite jazz pieces, any track from Miles Davis's 'Kind of Blue' has to be there; it's amazing to think that that album was recorded in one day at the whim of a group of musicians.
    my favourite band at the moment has to be Acoustic Ladyland (a jazz/rock fusion band with drums, sax, bass and keyboard) anyone ever hear them? if you havn't i strongly advise looking out for them, their songs, like Iggy, Deckchair, or Perfect Bitch, have just so much energy in them.
    I also really like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by pink floyd, theres some really nice melodies, or maybe i just like it coz it's twenty minutes long and it has a cool name.....

is any other pianist's dream to be able to play "flight of the bumblebee" perfectly, and very fast??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭guX

Return Of The Necrowizard by Impaled Northern Moonforest!

Here are my favourite songs:
    A Fine Day To Die - Bathory
    I - Meshuggah
    Funeral Fog - Mayhem
    Dead By Dawn - Deicide
    Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen - Dimmu Borgir (well, the 1996 version anyway)
    Through The Fire And Flames - DragonForce
    Trollhammaren - Finntroll
    Call Of The Wintermoon - Immortal
    Burbot's Revenge - Kalmah
    Silent Night, Bodom Night - Children Of Bodom
    Fall From Grace - Morbid Angel
    You Suffer - Napalm Death
    This Godless Endeavor - Nevermore
    April Ethereal - Opeth
    Hell Awaits - Slayer
    The Dark Age - Vader
    Winter Madness - Wintersun
    Celestial Decontruction - 1349
    Enemy Within - Arch Enemy
    The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh - Cradle Of Filth
    Punish My Heaven - Dark Tranquillity
    Unholy Black Metal - Darkthrone
    Zombie Ritual - Death
    Dante's Inferno - Iced Earth
    Behind Space - In Flames

And lots of stuff I've probably left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

Shhh! Not allowed to do that! Read back over the thread.

Yanniscaus wrote:
    I also really like "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by pink floyd, theres some really nice melodies, or maybe i just like it coz it's twenty minutes long and it has a cool name.....

Woo! Pink Floyd are the best band ever! If we're talking their instrumental work, 'Meddle' and 'Animals' are great examples. The opening bass line on 'Money' has to be the best thing a bass guitar has ever done.

For 10 points...

What time signature is 'money' in?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭twirly sponge

7/4! or is 7/8? one or the other anyhoo... such a great song...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

Undergod wrote:
    For 10 points...

What time signature is 'money' in?

There are 3 different time signatures in money, if I'm reliably informed and they change a total of 4 times. If thats not true then I'll know my [drummer] friend is just too much of a woos to learn it and not cos its too bloody hard.

I know that the opening riff, and that's what I was referring to, is in 7, and I think it's 7/4.

Yeah, 7/4, although in Nick Mason's book, he says 'Roger had worked on an outline for a new album. He had some ideas, a number of songs in development and he had created an unusual 7/8 bass riff that sounded quite radical'

I suppose most of you know that Dark Side segues with the Wizard of Oz (if not, ask wikipedia), but apparently 'Echoes' segues with the end of 2001: a Space Oddyssey and 'One of these Days' segues with the end of 'Apocalypse Now'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

i think that the best definition for one of these songs is a good song with one difference! it appeals to a wider range! for example stairway to heaven is in my opinion a good song . i n the opinion of a musician it is also . and the opinion of a pop lover as it has been covered that many times ! this means when the song is brought up it does not start contrvorsey! everone is on the same level!

for example, one of the songs which will not fall into this catagory is oasis ' wonderwall ' because it is to much directed to the pop rock society!

well thats what i think any way!

holly

That seems alright. I think 'Wonderwall' has kind of become accepted as a good song by the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I like Daft Punk's music. That's some good techno.

Really? Oh well....

Advertisement