Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators posting in locked threads

Options
  • 18-12-2005 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

What's the story with this thread in the Motors forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054864035

It gets locked by mike65 for racism which was fair enough. Whitewashman then has to butt in to make the astonishing revelation that Paul McGrath is black. Thread still locked so nobody can respond. A few hours later, another post from Whitewashman appears informing everyone that a poster has been banned for personal insults and has sent him an abusive PM. Thread still locked.

I can understand a thread being re-opened if someone has somthing useful to say but this is having a laugh. Either unlock the thread so that the debate can continue or else lock the thread and shut the **** up.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

BrianD3 wrote:
    It gets locked by mike65 for racism which was fair enough. Whitewashman then has to butt in to make the astonishing revelation that Paul McGrath is black. Thread still locked so nobody can respond. A few hours later, another post from Whitewashman appears informing everyone that a poster has been banned for personal insults and has sent him an abusive PM. Thread still locked.

Not the first time WWM has butted in where hes not wanted...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Threads don't appear locked to us, as the quick post icon still remains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BrianD3 wrote:
    What's the story with this thread in the Motors forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054864035

I can understand a thread being re-opened if someone has somthing useful to say but this is having a laugh. Either unlock the thread so that the debate can continue or else lock the thread and shut the **** up.

i reposponded to a couple of reports that the OP qwas being racist, i merely posted on the end of it.
    its is not locked to me.

the point i was making was that not all black people are foriegn.
    stop being ignorant, and butting in where youare not wanted....

the OP was then banned becuase a couple of people reported personal abuse, and i agree with them.

so whats your point? i am merely banning someone for personal abuse on a forum.
    thats part of my job, hardly butting in am i?

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Not the first time WWM has butted in where hes not wanted...

irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Giblet wrote:
    Threads don't appear locked to us, as the quick post icon still remains
    OK I didn't know that.
    the OP was then banned becuase a couple of people reported personal abuse, and i agree with them.
    Yeah and then you had to inform everyone that Dcully had sent you abusive PMs. What the hell did that contribute to the thread. Why don't you post the text of his PM while you're at it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    OK I didn't know that.

Yeah and then you had to inform everyone that Dcully had sent you abusive PMs. What the hell did that contribute to the thread. Why don't you post the text of his PM while you're at it. :rolleyes:

what is it to do with you? i am prefectly capable of communicating with Dscully myself.
    and in fact, i am at the moment.

i posted up that i wasnt banning him becuase he PMd me, but becuase he had been reported as being abusive, and i agreed.
    what it has to do with you, i dont know.

you dont seem to have many of your facts right about this situation, and until you do so, i suggest you go away and find out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BrianD3 wrote:
    Whitewashman then has to butt in to make the astonishing revelation that Paul McGrath is black. Thread still locked so nobody can respond..

quelle horror!
    the cheek of wwm to comment in a thread in a forum he's the cmod of!
    what were you thinking wwm?!??

sorry

/hangs head in shame and looks at feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

what is it to do with you? i am prefectly capable of communicating with Dscully myself.
    and in fact, i am at the moment.

i posted up that i wasnt banning him becuase he PMd me, but becuase he had been reported as being abusive, and i agreed.
    what it has to do with you, i dont know.

you dont seem to have many of your facts right about this situation, and until you do so, i suggest you go away and find out.
    I didn't know moderators didn't see threads as locked. Seems like an idiotic way to run things but what does my opinion count. Apart from that what facts have I gotten wrong?

BTW if you'd read the thread in its entirety you would have known that mike65 had already locked it.

And if you are perfectly capable of communicating with Dcully why don't you do it by PM.

Also as for what is it to do with me this forum is called feedback, I presume for asking questions and making comments about how the site operates. If it's such a private matter that has nothing to do with me, then why don't you keep it private and use PM. Seems to me that your're getting touchy about someone questioning you over posts that you made in a public forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

BrianD3 wrote:
    I didn't know moderators didn't see threads as locked. Seems like an idiotic way to run things but what does my opinion count. Apart from that what facts have I gotten wrong?

BTW if you'd read the thread in its entirety you would have known that mike65 had already locked it.

And if you are perfectly capable of communicating with Dcully why don't you do it by PM.

Also as for what is it to do with me this forum is called feedback, I presume for asking questions and making comments about how the site operates. If it's such a private matter that has nothing to do with me, then why don't you keep it private and use PM. Seems to me that your're getting touchy about someone questioning you over posts that you made in a public forum.
    Why are you getting flustered over this?
    Seems like an idiotic way to run things but what does my opinion count.
    When you've designed a leading forum software package your opinion will be valid ;)

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:

i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This thread is rubbish. All WWM was doing was firstly, living up to his mod description and second of all, what he said had more relevance to the thread then half the other spam did.

Two more people to add to the grudge list eh?

Although I hope if dcully was banned, so was the other guy trying to rise him? Sayman or something? He was spouting alot of nonsense as well....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i was banned,maybe i was wrong to react with so called personal abuse but feck it my family were run off the fecking road by this idiot and then im branded a racist.

In no way was i trying to be racist and to those guys branding me as such,im sorry they see it that way but i assure you i am far from racist and i take great exception to these allegations hence my reaction whether this reaction was right or wrong.
    In all my time on boards this is the first time ive been in so-called hot water.
    All i tried to do was defend this defermation of my character and im not proud that i called some guy a waster,but being realistic surely being called a racist is worse?.
    I fail to see why whitewash felt the need to stick his beak into an already locked thread despite his claims via pm that it wasnt locked.
    He couldnt resist to have a pop like the other guys,it was locked and you know it.
    Maybe i could have worded my origional thread better maybe not either way im banned now regardless of what i think,well atleast Dcully account is :D

My over-riding question is why arent those who branded me racist banned also?
    Ive asked whitewash this numerous times via pm and he refuses to respond.
    Ill also challenge him to produce these so-called several reports of personal abuse.
    Furthermore why did whitewash feel the need to twist the knife after he banned me?
    Did you want to further blacken my character here on boards even further by posting the following after he banned me?

banned for personal insults from several reported posts.

and nothing to do with you insulting me thorugh PM i might add.
    im not worried about that.

apart from that, grow up.

i almost get run off the road every day by english people. so what?

God loves a tryer eh.
    I dont claim to be innocent,as ive said above in hindsight i shouldnt have called anyone a waster but my issue is why the several others are not banned.

Dont forget whitewash im a mod here and on several other forums/communities and have done for years, i know how it works,i ask again why werent the guys labelling me racist benned also?
    Maybe its because you agree with them and not me and also feel im racist hence my ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Im hungry.

drama-drama-drama-drama-drama BATMAN!

fyi, Dcully, "coloured" is considered a racist term. In my personal opinion political correctness is now taken to foolish extremes, but as a moderator my opinions and thus, actions, would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

what were you thinking wwm?!??

And so close to Christmas too...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

i wouldnt imagine the term "coloured" is racist at all?

xha1r wrote:
    i wouldnt imagine the term "coloured" is racist at all?
    You learn something new every day :)

fyi, Dcully, "coloured" is considered a racist term

News to me,if that was the case and if i was aware of it i would not have used the term.
    I actually used the term "coloured" for the precise reason that i felt saying "black" would have offended people.
    Your just falling short of also labelling me racist,cheers for that :(

Dcully wrote:
    News to me,if that was the case and if i was aware of it i would not have used the term.
    I actually used the term "coloured" for the precise reason that i felt saying "black" would have offended people.
    Your just falling short of also labelling me racist,cheers for that :(
    Well, as I said, doesn't bother me personally, but "it might offend some people" and all that waffle.

I think political correctness itself is condusive to racism by highlighting that there is a difference between human beings on the physical level. But people get hotheaded/crosseyed/upset when I start arguing that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

CuLT wrote:
    fyi, Dcully, "coloured" is considered a racist term.

While I know I may be walking a very thin line here, I can state with 100% accuracy that "coloured" is VERY much used up in Northern Ireland and not seen as racist in any way. In fact, they were quite shocked and horrified to hear that down in Dublin we refer to them as either "black" or "african american".. and even more surprised to hear that "coloured" is now a no-no.

It all depends on where you are in the world, but we do agree on 1 thing - PC has been allowed to spiral out of control. I am not a man of Anglo-Hibernian descent. I am white.

It seems that the rules change every year on what is offensive or not, and while i have no problem with any race, colour or creed in any way, i am getting tired of having to learn new terms just because a new PC bandwagon rolls into town.

Can we just, once and for all, agree on how to refer to (sic) people of African American descent and leave it alone forever and a day?

If you read the thread i got banned for there are many more who used this so called racist term "coloured".

Im still intrigued as to why the guys caling me racist are not banned.

Dcully wrote:
    If you read the thread i got banned for there are many more who used this so called racist term "coloured".

Im still intrigued as to why the guys caling me racist are not banned.
    Yeah, I just sort of skimmed over the thread, hence why I'm holding back any specific judgements, I just noted that the word "coloured" had been used.

After another skim, you did highlight that it was a "coloured person" who was the problem, which, really is quite silly because it implies that the difference in skin colour is the cause of the problem.

I think that it could have been worded a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Sarge wrote:
    Im hungry.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Wow what a racist comment :p
    Stark wrote:
    I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I used to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sarge wrote:
    Post of the year.

Fuckhead of the month award FOR YUO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Sarge wrote:
    Post of the year.
    you quote yourself and then declare it post of the year?
    Its not even post of the day, or even the minute.
    In fact, that deserves de-recognition.
    *purges sad joke from mind*

and now,
    *token on-topic reply*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement