Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators posting in locked threads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

rsynnott wrote:
    Re-read the post; it is clearly racist.

Do you know what racism is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

rsynnott wrote:
    Re-read the post; it is clearly racist.

Some people will find racism everywhere they look . Maybe political correctness should be banned from forums . Maybe political correctness should be banned from everything .

yes . I am racist against PC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Big Nelly wrote:
    My point is if wasn't clear from first post how can you say one week your not a mod but the next week you say you are. Either you are or your not? ok if your over it all but then why bother denying it? it seems to suggest that on some subject WWM can claim to be a mod but on others he doesn't want to be.

He's not, specifically, a moderator of that forum. He's a category moderator empowered to handle issues that arise in that forum, particularly if the ordinary moderator isn't about. In particular, he can respond when a post is reported.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Also it wasn't racist. If I said I was an Irish person that done something on the road would a non-national then see me as a racist? some people really need to get a grip on here.

He's alleging that "coloured folk" are poor drivers. Sweeping generalisations based on race are, of course, completely acceptable. Also, as WWM notes, just because one is not 'white', one is not necessarily non-Irish.

rsynnott wrote:
    He's alleging that "coloured folk" are poor drivers.

If it is true that people from africa/estonia/canada/the west side of limerick/where-ever seem to be bad drivers is it racist to say so ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

rsynnott wrote:
    An idiot racist was banned. Yay!

I see no trouble here, except that he should probably be sitebanned.
    As we all now know, Dcully was banned for abuse, not racism. WWM even believed it not to be racist. Yet you have comments like the above against someones character.

To be unjustly accussed of racism in this and the original thread without retribution, is terrible. In our PC world today you can nearly be charged with hate crimes over such views, so when somebody has been accussed in the wrong, the least i would have expected was some mod intervention on his behalf.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote:
    If it is true that people from africa/estonia/canada/the west side of limerick/where-ever seem to be bad drivers is it racist to say so ?

Some black people are bad drivers. Some white people are bad drivers. To say that a racial group are bad drivers is a generalisation based on race. That is, it is racism. Anyone making such an extraordinary claim would have to present extraordinary evidence to back it up.

rsynnott wrote:
    He's not, specifically, a moderator of that forum. He's a category moderator empowered to handle issues that arise in that forum, particularly if the ordinary moderator isn't about. In particular, he can respond when a post is reported.

So why deny it? answer the question. If this was already dealt with by the mods as was the thread I was talking about which involved me it was just about getting his 2 cent in for no reason. This is a bulls**t reply to be honest. Read the post will you.

If you are a Cmod then you only take mod control if the other mods are not available. The Motors mod had already closed the thread. Read the bloody thing.
    rsynnott wrote:
    He's alleging that "coloured folk" are poor drivers. Sweeping generalisations based on race are, of course, completely acceptable. Also, as WWM notes, just because one is not 'white', one is not necessarily non-Irish.

Again re-read, so if I said all white people are crap driver would I be a racism? do you know if I'm... how will I put this so I ain't a racism according to you....a non white, non black, non anything. Cant be anythign anymore because I am a racist then according to you. Jesus I can't say I from Cavan anymore.

Big Nelly wrote:

Again re-read, so if I said all white people are crap driver would I be a racism?

No, you'd be a racist. :)

rsynnott wrote:
    No, you'd be a racist. :)

Haha, know your in the wrong so pick up on a typo:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    So why deny it? answer the question. If this was already dealt with by the mods as was the thread I was talking about which involved me it was just about getting his 2 cent in for no reason. This is a bulls**t reply to be honest. Read the post will you.

If you are a Cmod then you only take mod control if the other mods are not available. The Motors mod had already closed the thread. Read the bloody thing.

Again re-read, so if I said all white people are crap driver would I be a racism? do you know if I'm... how will I put this so I ain't a racism according to you....a non white, non black, non anything. Cant be anythign anymore because I am a racist then according to you. Jesus I can't say I from Cavan anymore.

fair enough, you asked me a question in private, i answered it.
    if you dont like it, then im really sorry, but there is not an awful lot can be done about it.

if oyu dont understand what im saying to you, im not going to write it again in small words to try and make you understand.

you have your own agenda here, and it seems you are still upset becuase i didnt ban people from the forum for calling you a bad driver, even though you reported them for it.
    calling you a bad driver is not what i call abuse. at the time i asked you in future to make the distinction between abuse, and just not agreeing with what other people say.

im sorry i dont do everything in my power to please you, but i think i do a good job. sometimes people disagree with me, and thats ok.

but dont come on here all high and mighty and shouting from the rooftops just becuase you dont understand something.

the OP of that thread was banned for personal abuse. end of story. if he has a problem with me not banning other people, then he should report those other people. like i told him in a PM, i respond only to reports, or to what im browsing. i dont actually spend my entire day hunting down people to ban. if youre not happy, bring it to my attention.
    when you report a post, the report goes to many different people. sometimes mods and admins step over one another. mike has obviously closed the thread before i got it, but i dont see it as closed.
    thats all that has happened here.
    if you want it reopened, then ask him to reopen it.

although i see no point, people have come on here to respond to whatever it is they feel needed to be responded to.

at this stage im unsure whether people are upset becuase i added something about not classing all black people as foriegn, or becuase i banned someone for being abusive, or for not banning anyone else, or whatever else.

or maybe you just have nothing better to do than to have an old whinge?
    i dont know.

and just to answer the question as to my status for the second time today to the same person, becusae they obviously dont like the answer i gave them in my PM, i am a cat mod. i moderate the catagory, i do not moderate an individual forum.

its not that hard a concept. your píssing over semantics and missing the bigger picture.
    if you want to go into that level of micro pedantasism, youre on your own, becuase quite frankly, i have given you an answer and you have ignored everything ive said.
    moan away by all means, i hope you get some relief from it.

• Advertisement

fair enough, you asked me a question in private, i answered it.
    if you dont like it, then im really sorry, but there is not an awful lot can be done about it.

if oyu dont understand what im saying to you, im not going to write it again in small words to try and make you understand.

you have your own agenda here, and it seems you are still upset becuase i didnt ban people from the forum for calling you a bad driver, even though you reported them for it.
    calling you a bad driver is not what i call abuse. at the time i asked you in future to make the distinction between abuse, and just not agreeing with what other people say.

As mentioned in my first post on here I know the report was in the "heat of the moment". I thought then everyone on here would take it then that I knew I was in the wrong. I re-read the thread and seen the error of my way and shouldn't have reported but as mentioned it was a heated discussion and I seen the comments as a personal insult because someone called me "ignorant".

Anyway this thread ain't about me. I just forwarded my comments.

rsynnott wrote:
    Some black people are bad drivers. Some white people are bad drivers. To say that a racial group are bad drivers is a generalisation based on race. That is, it is racism. Anyone making such an extraordinary claim would have to present extraordinary evidence to back it up.

When I read his thread I saw a post about a group of Whatever people from Whateverland who have imigrated to Thisland . This group in the main , and in his opinion don't seem to have fully grasped the driving laws and/or skills ( or lack of same) from Thisland . He feels there is a disproportionate amont of Whatevers like this . But to be non racist he has to post facts and figures ?

I have seen foriegn nationals of whatever colour class or creed driving their kids to school with 'L' plates on their cars . Maybe they are the full licence holders and someone else is learning to drive in the car ( as would be the case with my car ) , but their driving skills would lead me to believe they are only learning themselves . Am I racist because I see this ? or because I have said this ? or ....because I have failed to mention that I have also seen locals doing the same ? . Well I have seen locals doing the same , but it does seem to me that it is a higher proportion of Whatevers .

please note the use of the word 'whatevers' is so as not to offend anyone and not as a derogatory term .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    I re-read the thread and seen the error of my way and shouldn't have reported but as mentioned it was a heated discussion and I seen the comments as a personal insult because someone called me "ignorant".

and this is where me being a cat mod and a forum mod come in.

if someone calls you ignorant, then its up to you ask them to educate you, or you just role with it. one mans poison is another mans meat, in other words, one persons ignoramous, is another mans guru.

however,
    if someone said 'youre a (insert direct insult here)' then i ban them.

iirc you reported 4 or 5 posts on the thread, and after reading a couple of them for saying your a bad driver, then perhaps it was a case of the boy who cried wolf?
    and that was what my remarks were aimed at.

i never told you not to use the report button, but i did say that it should be used to report posts for something other than someone being disagreeable.
    jaysus, id be reporting posts here constantly, the amount of people that disagree with me over one thing or another!

but i am always happy to tell people that im not perfect and i make mistakes. i own up to them if someone points them out to me.
    what i dont appreciate is the abuse i receive from all quarters from misinformed people who as usual jump down someones throat becuase they see one thing, from their own point of view, and refuse to see anything else

ive already admitted i didnt realise the forum was locked.
    it wasnt about me getting a dig in, just preaching a little tolerance.

there is little you can do as a mod without being damned.
    you cannot keep everyone happy all of the time, and those that are made unhappy will always complain.
    you do one thing, youre a power hungry mod, you do another, you only did it becuase you part of a cliche, you do somehting else, and you get branded all sorts of things 'coz you shouldnt do it coz youre a mod' and apparently i have to take abuse becuase of it.

and of course, if i actually have the cheek to display any free thinking or opinion of my own, well, thats just bad form, becuase im a mod and someone disagreed with what i say.

now, i think ive been pretty open and havent resorted to my usual childish name calling that i use to treat such threads with derision, becuase i think there is something important here.
    ive explained my position. id like to think that those people who jump all over my back, and the backs of other mods would take a step bak and think before they shout out loud.

im sure i had a point somewhere, but its lunch, im hungry, and it seemed to have drifted off somewhere in the middle of the last paragraph!

maybe i will remember it afterwards and i can stick it in :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

jonski wrote:
    please note the use of the word 'whatevers' is so as not to offend anyone and not as a derogatory term .
    OMG that is so RACIST, they're PEOPLE, not WHATEVERS.

:v:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well whoopidy woo,we have another spinning the racist BS.
    Good man synott,hope you feel you done your bit for world racism:rolleyes:

I responded with personal abuse ,it is the first time EVER in my 4 years on boards.
    I was clearly annoyed initially but even more so at these accusations of racism.
    I would never have responded with personal abuse if i wasnt branded a racist over and over again and then to have the thread reopened twice by a so-called mod,once to have a dig and another to brag that he banned the nasty Dcully,how heroic.

Upon being banned and now this thread i was pissed off with all these wanna be do-gooders who imagine racism but in fairness its gone hilarious at this stage.
    Im really enjoying it now looking at them all falling over to have a dig.
    WWM for the record id rather stay banned from any forum you moderate.
    Your responses via pm are just pathetic,infact you should read the pms im getting from atleast 9 other members about you,it really is funny.

Back on topic,i was going to apologise for so-called personal abuse but feck it why should i apologise to those who can label someone racist and not be banned.
    Im seeing other guys spin this spot the racist BS on other threads also,why are they allowed do so?
    Is that not personal abuse also?

Ill consider the ban a perm one which is what i prefer at this stage.
    Oh and please do keep the racism jibes coming folks i really am enjoying laughing down at you blinkered folk from a height.
    My how boards has changed recently.

I meant to say,as for reporting you WWm,i cant be arsed at this stage.
    Im enjoying laughing at your responses at this stage.

iirc you reported 4 or 5 posts on the thread, and after reading a couple of them for saying your a bad driver, then perhaps it was a case of the boy who cried wolf?
    and that was what my remarks were aimed at.

I reported it once, when it first came up. Left it for a while and I heard nothing so reported again and I mentioned in the report I wasn't sure if last one had gone thru. "4 or 5" reports is bulls**t. After that I said nothing after that because Borzoi and then Mike replied. Simple replies but made the point. Not a post to tell the World that I had reported the post. As mentioned in post I would rather see this sent in a PM.

Again this is nothing to do with that thread. It wasn't me that pointed out about this. I just gave my point of view. Plenty of people have posted on here and you seem to be taking all my comments. As mentioned I had already PM'd you because I didn't want to post a thread but seen this so I said I would put forward my comments. Simple as that. I know people have differnet views and I accept this. I only posted on here and wasn't going to bother reply till I seen all the racist c**p that was being posted here which was what I was taking up and had nothing to do with you.

Also I never call people names or so on. I ask them to validate there point. Same as I am doing here and in the PM I sent to you.

Why not explain your comments and trolling on the soccer forum as I have posted about and I wasn't even involved in the thread so don't bring me back into it just because I brought it to everyone attention

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why not explain your comments and trolling on the soccer forum as I have posted about and I wasn't even involved in the thread so don't bring me back into it just because I brought it to everyone attention

Splitting hairs here. Misbehaviour on another forum isn't reason to stop a moderator from doing their job on their own forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

jesus
    I've never seen such whinging
    do you people have any lives? :/

If he was doing his job hed ban those guys branding me racist.
    IMO anyone labelling someone racist deserves abuse.
    There is nothing more damning to any man than to be publicly labelled racist,can you guys not see this?
    Honestly this place is like a dictatorship recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dcully wrote:
    Honestly this place is like a dictatorship recently.

according to DeV it always was.... a benevolent one...

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    Splitting hairs here. Misbehaviour on another forum isn't reason to stop a moderator from doing their job on their own forum.

Have I asked for him to stop being a moderator? if so where? try and read first before replying.

Dcully wrote:
    Well whoopidy woo,we have another spinning the racist BS.
    Good man synott,hope you feel you done your bit for world racism:rolleyes:

For goodness sakes, my name is RIGHT IN MY USERNAME. It isn't that difficult to spell.

And I stand by what I said; that post was clearly racist by any sensible definition.

LOL i see your blinkered also.
    Er sorry for mis-spelling your name.
    Another sensitive soul to add to the list:rolleyes:

rsynnott wrote:
    And I stand by what I said; that post was clearly racist by any sensible definition.

Again what is a racist?

Hehe please do enlighten us with your infinite wisdom.
    Man you guys are funny as fook :D

Beruthiel wrote:
    jesus
    I've never seen such whinging
    do you people have any lives? :/

I don't :( .

Dcully wrote:
    Hehe please do enlighten us with your infinite wisdom.
    Man you guys are funny as fook :D

Best thing they call you a racist but they haven't a clue if you are black, white, yellow, red, blue or watever. I will prob get banned now I said black on boards.

My finally word is: Keep the Passat on the road man, love those cars!:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Best thing they call you a racist but they haven't a clue if you are black, white, yellow, red, blue or watever. I will prob get banned now I said black on boards.

Sorry, what difference does it make what race you are? Racists are by no means required to be white.

rsynnott wrote:
    Sorry, what difference does it make what race you are? Racists are by no means required to be white.

Still can you describe a racist? or is just a word someone said in the school yard and you throw it about? how can a white man be called a racist if he calls another white man white? how can a black man be called a racist if he calls another black man black? am I racist because I call my mom Irish?

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    they haven't a clue if you are black, white, yellow, red, blue

He is having a go at the smurfs now !

Go pick on someone your own size . .....sorry , is that sizeist ? if it was i didn't mean to offend .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement