Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The FPS wishlist

Options
  • 19-12-2005 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

With the new year coming soon-ish, I thought it'd be the time to list what should appear in next-gen FPS games to make them more fun. Here goes:
    • Melee attacks with guns: Because I don't like switching from my shotgun to my crowbar for opening that bloody crate just to conserve ammo.
    • Non-violent takedowns: For all the pacifists out there ;) Besides, who are you to decide if this or that guy deserves death?
    • Jumping: Jumping is such a fundamental part of games, it makes no sense to remove it from FPS. What am I, a Dalek??
    • Tweak the floaty jumping: What am I, an astronaut??
    • My own two feet when I look down: What am I, in a hoverchair? And how am I jumping?
    • No need for €400+ videocards/CPU's: It's just too much. Focus on gameplay.
    • More vehicles: Because running over enemies can be so much fun. And boarding them is even more so!
    • Jack Thompson: Just so I can shoot him in the face/balls. Over and over and over again.:v:
    • More games for Mac: I'm getting bored...
    Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What the hell have you been playing that doesn't let you jump? I can't remember playing any FPS since doom that didn't allow jumping.

Also... Mac? Nice computer but a bit silly if you want to play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Stephen wrote:
    What the hell have you been playing that doesn't let you jump? I can't remember playing any FPS since doom that didn't allow jumping.

Also... Mac? Nice computer but a bit silly if you want to play games.
    Killzone for one.

Also, Mac's are only silly for games because no-one's making games for them! :( I'm sure a dual-2Ghz PowerMac could keep pace with any PC of similar price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

:A cash system for buying ammo/weapons/upgrades. (ala Kingpin & DeusEx)

:More hitboxes and area damage (ala Soldier Of Fortune (2?))

:Being able to shoot guns out of enemy hands.

:More imaginative weapons. (Hitman had some nice ones, big needle and the choke-wire thing)

:More than one way to complete a task (again DeusEx)

:Being able to shoot out lights for a tactical advantage (or not) (eg. Thief)

:A more interesting plot than "monsters from hell/another dimension have taken over a generic industrial complex... go kill them using this predictable selection of weapons." :rolleyes:

:Bleeding and blood trails.

:Being able to switch between 1st person and 3rd person for some more challenging platforming (like that seen in Tomb Raider... now that was some fun climbing)
    No need for €400+ videocards: It's just too much. Focus on gameplay.
    Although I'm with you on the rest of your points, I think this one is key... I think it's up to us to stop buying their brain-dead eye-candy rubbish and support games that push the envelope in the areas that matter the most.
    I'm still shocked to see how highly people rate Doom3 and Quake4... it's like the world has gone mad... and business being business, they'll keep catering for the more-of-the-same-please market. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My own two feet when I look down: What am I, in a hoverchair? And how am I jumping?

i agree with this totally, but there was game i think i played - can't remember which one at the moment - that had the players feet there.

i agree with donkeystyle his views on doom3 and quake4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Cremo wrote:
    there was game i think i played - can't remember which one at the moment - that had the players feet there.
    Think it was FEAR?
    Can't remember really, I only played the demo... but I do remember thinking "Are those my feet?" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Think it was FEAR?
    Can't remember really, I only played the demo... but I do remember thinking "Are those my feet?" :D

or maybe tresspaser, but i think you only saw her boobs, and her tatooo showed your health!
    that was a strange game

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Think it was FEAR?
    couldn't be FEAR as i've yet to purchase that as i don't fancy having some melted silicone in my case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

As was mentioned the really awful Jurassic Park: Trespasser featured the whole human body, feet included-but that game was beyond bad so it doesnt count. That whoel arm control sytem was funny in a grotesque kind of way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fear does have feet though. The developers made a big deal (i have directors cut with documentary) about making sure the player felt he had a whole body.

hence you can do flying kicks and could see your feet and (most annoying of all) your shoulders knock stuff of shelves if you walk too close to them etc (scares the sh*t out of me when i accidently knock something over without noticing and all i hear is *thud* behind me, followed by me sprawing the entire wall with bullets)

Does this happen all the time, or only when you play at night? :D

Man, FEAR. I love repeating this: I worked on its localisation! Of course, that also means I played it to death (as in, couldn't take another 5 minutes of it).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    With the new year coming soon-ish, I thought it'd be the time to list what should appear in next-gen FPS games to make them more fun. Here goes:

* Melee attacks with guns: Because I don't like switching from my shotgun to my crowbar for opening that bloody crate just to conserve ammo.
    * Non-violent takedowns: For all the pacifists out there Besides, who are you to decide if this or that guy deserves death?
    * Jumping: Jumping is such a fundamental part of games, it makes no sense to remove it from FPS. What am I, a Dalek??
    * Tweak the floaty jumping: What am I, an astronaut??
    * My own two feet when I look down: What am I, in a hoverchair? And how am I jumping?
    * No need for €400+ videocards/CPU's: It's just too much. Focus on gameplay.
    * More vehicles: Because running over enemies can be so much fun. And boarding them is even more so!
    * Jack Thompson: Just so I can shoot him in the face/balls. Over and over and over again.
    * More games for Mac: I'm getting bored...

Any more?

everything you said is in one game or two (bar jack thompson of course) but i guess no one game has them all.

And besides - just use the gravity gun in half life a weapon AND a crate opener in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

or maybe tresspaser, but i think you only saw her boobs, and her tatooo showed your health!
    that was a strange game

many a time i check my health over and over and over and.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

As much as people slag killzone it does have a few nice innovative touches which some games could learn a lesson from:

Looking at your weapon while reloading. Yes, in real life im sure people dont look straight ahead while fumbling for a magazine and slapping it into thier weapon
    Sprinting actually looks like sprinting. Nice motion blur effect when youre legging it down the road actually makes it feel like youre moving a tad faster
    I CAN FINALLY CLIMB A LADDER. Oh lawdy lawdy down on dat ol swanny rivah, but i can finally see my hands when im climbing a ladder. I sling my weapon, put my hands on the rails, and climb. I dont magically float up it while still carrying a bloody great big gun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

But why did they prevent you from jumping? Haven't played Killzone myself, but its mental that a modern fps game like that doesn't allow you to jump. Sounds like a cheap and lame way to make it tougher - much like in doom 1 you'd be able to get into lots of the secret areas etc with no effort if only you could jump over that 1 foot step.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

it was probably alot easier to stop players from jumping. they didnt have to think of players getting around obstacles that way. i actually liked killzone, at least until the swamp level. hated that.

fear has alot of the points from the top of the page, and the way you feel like a fully fleshed person (i.e. knocking stuff off shelves, the cool movement when you go up/down ladders etc...) was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Technically, you can jump. And by jump i mean if you stand in front of a small wall and press X you can vault over it. and again, nice touch, you look down, see your hand going to the wall and jump over. Would be nice to have a proper jump feature but what can you do. TBH i dont mind killzone, i got it for 20 quid in HMV while crimbo shopping, and once you realise that it never was going to be a halo beater, its a fun little game. The weapons are really nice, reload animations are gorgeous, its a nice little distraction from my ever growing love of dod:source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 2 allowed you to see your own feet. I think the first game to do it was the criminally underrated Project Eden.

I like the way the reloading animations are done in FEAR when the camera follows the movements of the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Stephen wrote:
    But why did they prevent you from jumping? Haven't played Killzone myself, but its mental that a modern fps game like that doesn't allow you to jump. Sounds like a cheap and lame way to make it tougher - much like in doom 1 you'd be able to get into lots of the secret areas etc with no effort if only you could jump over that 1 foot step.

the idea was to base everything on realism. soldiers don't jump around when someone's shooting them. you can vault over certain objects though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nobody should be playing Killzone in the first place.

No jumping annoys me in FPS games. I like having the freedom and it makes boring treks more fun when you can try to bunny hop and if I die due to it it is always my own fault. No jumping annoys the hell out of me. You say it adds realism but it's less realistic when in Killzone snd it's ilk you can't proceed when there is a 2 foot tree trunk/wreckage/rubble blocking the nonplayable area. Even Goldeneye and Perfect Zero never did this lunacy. It's an excuse for lazy level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the cover technique in perfect dark zero is great. pity about the game. and there is another fps you cant jump in.

like in call of duty two you se your team mates hiding nicely at a corner but you cant do that you just have to stand there.

i dont mind the sliding up the ladder thing cause we dont need it to be absolutely realistic cause real life is boring. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can't you lean like in the original CoD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Halo 2 allowed you to see your own feet. I think the first game to do it was the criminally underrated Project Eden.

Operation Flashpoint is the first game I can remember with the feet and that was cool cos you could switch to 3rd person, in effect you had the whole body and it was out slightly before Eden I think.

Speaking of which Project Eden was shyte :)

You know a point I totally forgot?
    • Jogging along: Woohoo!! Let's have a leisurely 10-minute jog until we get to some action!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

This is a good point - they advertise "vast open landscapes" which normally results in a 10 mile hike to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

A button dedicated to s, there a weapon you need very quickly. Usually you lose the moment by the time you have to switch to them.
    Halo and opertaion flashpoint did it and it worked very well. very disappointed with modern games not making this the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

there are a good few games that let u c your feet
    im waiting for one that will let u shoot yourself in the foot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Operation Flashpoint is the first game I can remember with the feet and that was cool cos you could switch to 3rd person, in effect you had the whole body and it was out slightly before Eden I think
    The original Duke Nukem FPS had feet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

You couldn't jump in Operation Flashpoint and I never once missed it. Fantastic game, and I wouldn't really call it an FPS in the traditional sense. More like an infantry simulator, because it was more similar in some ways to military vehichle simulators (there's a speed up time option, etc.). Jumping wouldn't have made any sense at all in that game.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    it makes boring treks more fun when you can try to bunny hop .... It's an excuse for lazy level design.
    Aren't boring treks a symptom of lazy level design anyway? :)

But every fps seems to have them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Really cool matter physics!

What an odd thing to say. Allow me to explain. I want materials to work like they did in Redfaction.

Essentially, if you shot a rocket at a wall, a chunk of wall the size of the explosion got shattered. I only played the demo but it was SOOO cool.

Imagine a great big wall, like a cliff face. I shot a great big bloody circle of rocket craters into the wall. I repeated this so the circle was two or three craters deep all the way around. Then I started shooting away at the supporting rock behind. In the end I had a big free standing rock held on by a foot wide slab. Then I shot away the slab. The huge rock in the middle fell free, then dropped and cracked in half when it hit the ground.

I was more impressed than with any other feature I have ever seen. Why did every game that followed then ignore this wonderful innovation?

NOTE: On further research it was made by Violition (the people who made the wonderful Freespace) and the technology was called Geo-Mod. Maybe when Violition went bust no one could then buy the technology...?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/red-faction/

Advertisement