Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The FPS wishlist

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with Geo Mod type technology is that is could end up breaking a game by making some parts impossible. It's also quite processor intensive. Volition are still making games now. I think the best compromise is to use shaders just like the ones used in F.E.A.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What?! If volition aren't dead then why aren't we getting Freespace 3?

EDIT: And yes, Ill have FEAR soon enough. What do these shaders do?

Balfa wrote:
    You couldn't jump in Operation Flashpoint

I played the whole game and never noticed that there was no jump...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Zillah wrote:
    I played the whole game and never noticed that there was no jump...

you never ONCE hit space bar to try avoid/jump over stuff?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

you never ONCE hit space bar to try avoid/jump over stuff?! :eek:
    It's all hills and buildings, large boulders and trucks. There's nothing to jump over, and if you're trying to avoid gunfire, you generally hit the deck rather than jump :)

But what a wickedly good game :) I can't wait for the sequel :)

• Advertisement

Exactly. The game was designed so that a jump was redundant. When bullets started flying you hit the ground and crawled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zillah wrote:
    What?! If volition aren't dead then why aren't we getting Freespace 3?

EDIT: And yes, Ill have FEAR soon enough. What do these shaders do?

Makes it look as if a big lump of concrete has been taken out of the wal by your gunfire. They are very effective and look 3D but not perfect yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

My own two feet when I look down: What am I, in a hoverchair? And how am I jumping?
    YES! I'm not the only one. You see your arms holding guns dammit, what are you, a neck shoulders and arms helicopter head?

Also, say for example in HL2, you get totally whomped by an Antlion Guard (d'big fellas), shouldn't you fall over instead of stumbling backwards quickly and remaining perfectly upright?!
    The screen should go at 90 degrees or show only the sky (indicating you are lying on your side, or back, OWNZORED on the ground), and if you're not dead, you should see yourself slowly pick yourself up and maybe shake your head to get back into the game. :p
    The A.I. might have to lay off you while you do this, otherwise you'd have the equivalent of 1 hitpoint, but I think it would be a nifty feature!
    :Bleeding and blood trails.
    I think this was done in a slasher game called Severance: Blade of Darkness, I saw a screenshot in PCZ of decent looking blood drippping down steps of a stairs.
    Found another one on the net: http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/converted/pics/previews/severance/ss_preview_02b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's also quite processor intensive.
    this is where the new PPU cards came in, if they ever get released

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Makes it look as if a big lump of concrete has been taken out of the wal by your gunfire. They are very effective and look 3D but not perfect yet.

But its just an illusion, yes? If I keep shooting they'll just overlap each other and not actually alter the shape?
    I think this was done in a slasher game called Severance: Blade of Darkness, I saw a screenshot in PCZ of decent looking blood drippping down steps of a stairs.

Severance is getting old, and even still it has the best lighting I've ever seen in a game. It does blood splashes, and corspe blood pooling I think, but it doesn't do trails or bleeding. Great game. Moronic story, but fun gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The godamn Stargate game...that's all I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

Zillah wrote:
    Really cool matter physics!

What an odd thing to say. Allow me to explain. I want materials to work like they did in Redfaction.

Essentially, if you shot a rocket at a wall, a chunk of wall the size of the explosion got shattered. I only played the demo but it was SOOO cool.

Imagine a great big wall, like a cliff face. I shot a great big bloody circle of rocket craters into the wall. I repeated this so the circle was two or three craters deep all the way around. Then I started shooting away at the supporting rock behind. In the end I had a big free standing rock held on by a foot wide slab. Then I shot away the slab. The huge rock in the middle fell free, then dropped and cracked in half when it hit the ground.

I was more impressed than with any other feature I have ever seen. Why did every game that followed then ignore this wonderful innovation?

NOTE: On further research it was made by Violition (the people who made the wonderful Freespace) and the technology was called Geo-Mod. Maybe when Violition went bust no one could then buy the technology...?

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/red-faction/

You are almost describing what I have heard about the forthcoming EA game, BLACK, made by the Burnout guys.

Comments I've heard from people who played the dev demo's at trade shows range from 'Amazing' at worst to 'the best game ever made, it's just so much fun'

'tis a FPS with fully destructable eviro's, brilliant gun animations and other excellentness. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yeah black is the new red [faction]. (sorry, awful joke).

they made the gun the star of the show. apparently it's amazingly satisfying to shoot a wall, or some random enemy npc scum (who don't bleed btw - thanks to EA trying to get into as many markets as possible)

No blood=lower rating?

So a game that shows that violence is fun and has no consequences is rating 12+ but a game that shows real and terrifying results of violence is 18+...

Advertisement