Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shuttle overclocking?

• 19-12-2005 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Got my hands on a Shuttle SN85g4.

Hoping to get my hands on a Amd 64 clawhammer 3700+ if i can find one (Any ideas?)

Also hoping to grab a 6800GS or 6800GT...(looking for the cheapest place to get one)

Anyone know if the PSU would be strong enough for those two and even perhaps overclocking.

Is it wise to try and overclock a sff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

IIRC Shuttles, and other SFF PCs are not the best for overclocking. Newer models have proved this to be slightly wrong but they are still not the best platform for overclocking. You may geta slight OC out of it, but don't get your hopes up.

The Claws throw out a lot of heat so keep that in mind when thinking about cooling (very important in a small form factor PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

WizZard wrote:

The Claws throw out a lot of heat so keep that in mind when thinking about cooling (very important in a small form factor PC.

That's what i was thinking. Wondering if this ICE will keep a clawhammer cool and if the bloody thing will sound like a hoover trying to do so.

Probably wont over clock then...don't want to stress out the psu either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

still considering a shuttle myself for after xmas one of the things i've come up aganist is that there is no pci lock thingie on the motherboard and also not sure if a latter bios updates have sorted this out (saying that i've been too lazy to look in detail)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The shuttle boards overclock reasonably well, buy most of them only have a tiny 250-300watt PSU so that will probably cause instability as you overclock.

And the shuttle only has 1 80mm fan cooling the whole system including the cpu, in saying that is has a really nice heatpipe cooler with a nice radiator so if you run the fan at full speed it might be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

conzymaher wrote:
    The shuttle boards overclock reasonably well, buy most of them only have a tiny 250-300watt PSU so that will probably cause instability as you overclock.

And the shuttle only has 1 80mm fan cooling the whole system including the cpu, in saying that is has a really nice heatpipe cooler with a nice radiator so if you run the fan at full speed it might be ok

yeah but i do want to keep the whole lot reasonably quiet...lol. Probably just pay more for the higher specs and keep it at stock.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Or you could overclock it, and get a 80mm holesaw cut a hole in each side and mount an 80mm fan in each hole and run all the fans on a low speed, that would be more than enough cooling, But like Dataisgod said there is no PCI/AGP bus lock so that will severly limit your overclock. But if a bios update has fixed this OC it

Advertisement