Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Forum Members Does It Take...

Options
  • 19-12-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

....to change a light bulb .

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
    1 to move it to the Lighting section
    2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
    7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
    5 to flame the spell checkers
    3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
    15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
    19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
    11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
    36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
    7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
    4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
    13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
    5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
    13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
    1 to hijack the thread and ask how to change the horn
    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Hmm I think this theory warrants further investigation. I'll start shall I?:

Step 1:

Hello all. I have just changed the lightbulb. That's correct, the light bulb has been chgnged. I used the underarm bi-pincer anti-colckwise unscrew method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sarah Louka

Step 2 (of 14)

I too changed a lightbulb only last Saturday. I reccommend changing the lightbulb using wet hands, as it stops you sclading your fingers if the bulb is hot. I used the direct pull method, as I am a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Best joke evar :v::v::v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Funny because I could see it happeneing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Maximilian wrote:

Hello all. I have just changed the lightbulb. That's correct, the light bulb has been chgnged. I used the underarm bi-pincer anti-colckwise unscrew method.

There's at least TWO, that's right, TWO spelling mistakes in that poorly constructed group of words you call a sentence. I can't BELIEVE that you would offend our intelligence with this.

-Spud

Also, it's lightbulb, not light bulb!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Surely this should be in Gardening/DIY?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://www.bulbman.com/
    xenon bulbs ftw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1 to post jokes about Microsoft Darkness TM
    3 Double entrendes (stick it in ;) / red-light - followed by a size/ technique debate <cough>
    1 slydice special pic very slightly on topic
    5 to get a few seaky post counts (ROFL / We used to have one but the wheel fell off)
    1 trader trying to get an add in about environemetally friendly reconditioned 110V bulbs for 25c each
    1 mispost about fried eggs by someone who thought they were on a different forum
    7 to reply to the mispost including one with a link to a site dedicated to frying eggs on bulbs
    2 old timers to complain about how bulbs were a friendlier shade of yellow when they were younger
    1 post about tulips
    1 post about how since fluorescent lamps emit 30% UV you should be able to remove 1/3 of the bulbs and still get the same amount of light. :confused:
    and a troll of course

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_320831.html

Was flicking through the infomercials this morning and there was this smoke detector that plugs into the light socket - fine. But then the whole spiel about changing it - yer man had a tea towel in his hand and a safety ladder (two steps and a very high hand rail) flicked over rather than take anouther 10 minutes on how to change a bulb.

Oh, nearly forgot - I counted two infomercial presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

Maximilian wrote:
    Hmm I think this theory warrants further investigation. I'll start shall I?:

Step 1:

I've been changing a lot of light bulbs (is that correct? should it be lightbulbs? anyway..) lately, and there seems to be no end to the frequency at which they blow.

Anyone any similiar experience recently or is it just me?

Should I try a lower wattage? I like the glow from a good 100 watt bulb. It really brightens up the room you know! But if it saves me constantly changing them then I might put up with it for a while.

I prefer the old style bulbs with the old push and turn to the modern screw in variety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

Step 2 (of 14)

I reccommend changing the lightbulb using wet hands, as it stops you sclading your fingers if the bulb is hot. I.

The water will conduct the heat better than you hand:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

DogHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

scout wrote:
    The water will conduct the heat better than you hand:p :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

DogHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rolleyes: Methinks someone needs to go home and eat their weetabix... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Ah, not this again!?? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't worry in a few years we will all be using those white LED's.
    They've a life of 100,000 hours and even then it's just the time the brightness falls by half not when they fail.

So you'll have fun trying to explain the concept of a dead bulb to your grandchildren.

Q. How many calls does it take for a Dell/Gertronics engineer to change a light bulb ?
    A. depends on how many burnt out bulbs they've brought with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Is someone going to move this then or what?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sofaspud wrote:
    There's at least TWO, that's right, TWO spelling mistakes in that poorly constructed group of words you call a sentence. I can't BELIEVE that you would offend our intelligence with this.

-Spud

Also, it's lightbulb, not light bulb!

If you hvae nothing contructive to add to teh debate, go and troll elswehere, these kinds of post lower the tone of the thread.

Speaking of tones, has anyone experience with Philips 8w BC 6yr Softone light blubs? It has the same shape and size as traditional light bulbs (double-contact bayonet cap) but is particularly compact and provides diffused, comfortable and natural light. I am told they aer ideal for decorative applications and best of all, have a 6 year life span.

I was thinking of buy one from here, as a Christmas present for a loved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

has 6 months passed yet? cos i feel the need to contribute something....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

jonski wrote:
    13 to say "do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
    Allow me to be one of them...

Do a search on lightbulbs before you post! Last post on page 1 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Allow me to be one of them...

Do a search on lightbulbs before you post! Last post on page 1 here.

Did do the search actually , but come on be fair , how much bloody searching do you want me to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I say, I've got one !
    How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

jonski wrote:
    Did do the search actually , but come on be fair , how much bloody searching do you want me to do ?

It was on page 2 of my search tbh, and it was a reply in a thread.
    I forgive you.

Advertisement